Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live Video Feed While Recording Presentation

Hi everyone.

I have been asked to shoot a corporate awards night. That's all good, but I have also been asked if I can feed the footage from my AF102 to a couple of overhead projectors so that the audience can see what I'm seeing as I record.

Is this possible? Am I able to record video as well as provide a live video feed? I've not attempted this before (on this camera) so any advice would be super appreciated

Thanks!

well the sdi output is a good option.

Comment

You need to find out what signal the projector will take and try to adapt to it.
      - Since the AF-100 has SDI and HDMI outputs, it would be very convenient if they had one of those as inputs for high definition
      - The AF-100 also has a composite video output that can be used if the projectors are SD rather than HD
      - If the projectors have HD capability, but don't have HDMI or SDI inputs, then you will need to convert the signal to whatever the projector has.
      - Whatever the signal, you need a way to split the signal or daisy chain. The method depends upon the signal.
      Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the detailed info.

Comment

I've done this before using CAT5 video extenders as seen here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...01&cp_id=10105

I suppose you could also go From HDMI to DVI on the far end simply enough as well using an adapter. HDMI worked great for me because it also carried audio to a remote flatscreen TV in the viewing area. They also make Component versions, but you need to get component out of the AF100 for that...
          Nate Haustein

PXW-FX9 / FCPX

Comment

Hi Dave,

I have a question. I've done a lot of awards/events but always used a HPX 300 or 500. What lens would you use on this, knowing you'd need different focal lengths? I'd be afraid of using my AF100 for something like this, so please let me know.

Thanks
            Ned Miller
            Chicago-based Freelance Videographer
            www.nedmiller.com

Comment

I have fed projectors with the composite out before in similar situations from my af100, and it looked fine. It all depends on the projectors used (a 1024 x 768 in this case), and the client's expectations. SDI is ideal and to be hoped for, but not usually found on conference level units. I find 1024 x 768 is the norm as this is still the most common Powerpoint file dimension. Definitely get in touch with the AV company setting up the room directly and get the model# of the projectors used to find out what inputs and resolutions they have. Avoid going through the client.

As for lenses, I have used the 14-140 with great effect. It looks sharp on the big screen- important when downconverted- and so long as there is enough light on stage f5-ish is plenty. And they better have lights if they are thinking about video foldback and recording. I have a collection of Takumars but it is nice to have the Auto focus. Indeed this is a place where the 14-140 can shine in that regard as there is usually lots of contrast. I'm sure there are sexier zooms that work better, but I've not used any.

And you may find that you don't miss servo zoom as much as you thought you would. Plus since it sounds like a one camera shoot, and it is live in the house, you don't want lots of push-ins/outs anyway.

Cheers,
              Craig
              Craig Pickthorne
              Toronto, Canada

Comment

Hi Nate, apparently the lectern at the venue has a Cat 5 video input. So would I be correct in assuming that I would run a cable from the AF102 to the video extender that you mention and then from the extender to the lectern?

Comment

Hey nedcam, mate I'd probably be using a Lumix 14-140.

Comment

Thanks for the info Craig. Good to hear the 14-140 lens worked well because that's the lens I will most probably be using. Just heard from the client today that they have CAT 5 video inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by davedwyervideo View Post
                      Just heard from the client today that they have CAT 5 video inputs.
                      That sounds kind of unusual to be honest. Mostly those presentation lecterns have a client interface panel where you'll find a variety of consumer AV inputs...VGA, composite etc. The lectern may send selected video signal to the projector in the ceiling via CAT5 and that's what they mean. Anyway I am just speculating. Frankly it's always best to deal with the facility's tech people directly.
                      Craig Pickthorne
                      Toronto, Canada

Comment

CAT 5 (Category 5 twisted pair cable) makes no sense at all. That is a wire specification commonly associated with Ethernet. You need to go to the site and sort it out yourself.
                        Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

Originally posted by Paul F View Post
                          CAT 5 (Category 5 twisted pair cable) makes no sense at all. That is a wire specification commonly associated with Ethernet. You need to go to the site and sort it out yourself.
                          There are adapters for sending analogue video signals over cheap and ubiquitous 4-pair unshielded (UTP) ethernet cable. They create a balanced signal and avoid induced noise in this way. Its not anyone's idea of quality, but a lot of permanent installations such as lecture halls etc use it. It's usually a permanent in-the-wall thing, not a client interface protocol however.

But yeah. Get thee to the site.
                          Craig Pickthorne
                          Toronto, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Pickthorne View Post
                            But yeah. Get thee to the site.
                            Indeed I shall, once I win the quote

Comment

Working...
                            X