Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF100 firmware upgrade 1.23

Hi fellow AF100 owners

I have a question for you all and for Panasonic. I'm trying to understand why the firmware upgrade that adds 1080/60p to the AC160 (which I also own and love) was a free upgrade, yet AF100 owners are required to pay a $250.00 fee for it.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Dorit

Don't really have an answer for you. The 60p was implemented as part of the AC160A upgrade, which is three changes: two require a paid $300 upgrade, and the other was made available for free (the 60p upgrade).

AC130 owners don't have a chance to upgrade to 60p at all.

AF100 owners have the chance to upgrade to it, but it's a paid upgrade.

Can't tell you why it's that way, but that's the way it is.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Does the $250 AF100 upgrade do anything else... or just add a slightly higher bitrate and record option for 1080/60p?
      Brent Miller Jr.
      Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
      www.IngenuityFilms.com

Coming Soon From Ingenuity Films:

Comment

Originally posted by Kindredmachine View Post
        Does the $250 AF100 upgrade do anything else... or just add a slightly higher bitrate and record option for 1080/60p?
        The paid upgrade is only for adding the 1080/60p (and 1080/50p) AVCHD 2.0 recording mode, called PS mode.
        The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Thank you.
          Brent Miller Jr.
          Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
          www.IngenuityFilms.com

Coming Soon From Ingenuity Films:

Comment

To answer your first question, it's to extract as much money as possible from the consumer with minimal effort. The reason it's free on the 160 is because they said it would be free when the 160 was released. Also, with the autofocus issues, it's kind of an apology gift.

As far as your second question, in addition to the 60p it adds 2.39:1 framing markers. I've read that the latest firmware adds the 2.39 for free and I've also ready that it's part of the paid upgrade so I'm not exactly sure.

Comment

Hi Barry
              Can you tell me more about the other 2 upgrades for the AC160? I'm not at all aware of them, despite being registered with Panasonic.
              Thanks

Comment

Hi Phil
                Can you explain a bit what the 2.39:1 framing markers do that make them desirable? Also can you direct me to a discussion thread about the autofocus issues with the AC160?
                thanks

Comment

Originally posted by grunberd View Post
                  Hi Barry
                  Can you tell me more about the other 2 upgrades for the AC160? I'm not at all aware of them, despite being registered with Panasonic.
                  Thanks
                  The AC160A is a new model, a revision of the AC160. It adds magnified focus assist and a one-push "turbo" autofocus feature, which kind of focuses more like a DSLR does -- it "locks in" quickly and then stays there, instead of like autofocus, which is constantly evaluating as to what it should focus on. So there are three changes between the 160 and the 160A: the presence of magnified focus assist, the one-touch turbo autofocus, and the PS recording mode (which is 28mbps 1080/50p or 1080/60p including audio). Well, there's a fourth difference, which is that the AC160A costs $300 more than the AC160 did.

For USA customers who have an official USA model AC160, they can send their camera in to the Panasonic service facility and, for a $300 charge, they can get their camera upgraded to be an AC160A. Or, separately, you can download a free firmware upgrade that gives you the "PS" recording mode, for 1080/50p and 1080/60p recording, if you decide you don't need or want the changed focus features.

Comment

What I have is the AC160P. Is it a newer or earlier version than AC160A? I just upgraded to the latest firmware 1.23 yesterday. I already had the one-touch turbo autofocus, and after the firmware upgrade, seem to have the PS mode as well. The only thing I'm not familiar with is the magnified focus assist. Is that the red highlighting that is in the AF100 as well or is it something altogether different?
                    Also, Phil in this thread wrote "...Also, with the autofocus issues, it's kind of an apology gift." Do you know what issues he's referring to?
                    Thanks so much for the info

Comment

Ha! I see the ac160p is an earlier model...So what is the push auto focus button I have under the focus toggle? It seems to behave like a DSLR quick focus...
                      Last edited by grunberd; 06-25-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grunberd View Post
                        Ha! I see the ac160p is an earlier model...So what is the push auto focus button I have under the focus toggle? It seems to behave like a DSLR quick focus...
                        That button puts the camera into regular autofocus mode for as long as the button is held down. The difference is that the new one is much faster and locks in more than the old one did.

Comment

Hi,

The AG-AF100 60P upgrade also includes a 2:39 framing tool. The reason for the charge is that the engineers have to pay for their R & D for developing it. Yes we are a business and we are called to be responsibile for spending our time. 60P was never promised from the very beginning of the product lifespan other than as an overcrank frame rate. The fact that the engineers figured out how to get the camera to upload the software and give you audio with the 60P frame rate is stuff they did well after the initial specification. On the other hand the AG-AC160 promised from the very first spec sheet that it would do 60P, It is a free upgrade for this very reason, the factory following through on promises made.

Hope this helps,

Jan
                          Jan Crittenden Livingston
                          Panasonic System Communications Corporation
                          Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Comment

why was the 2:39 framing tool added?
                            azvideoworks.com

Comment

Because a number of customers asked for it and they could do it.
                              Jan Crittenden Livingston
                              Panasonic System Communications Corporation
                              Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Comment

Working...
                              X