Uggggghhhh....Nikkor Lens Haze????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uggggghhhh....Nikkor Lens Haze????

So I've been noticing some hazing on a lot of my footage and chalked it up to some weird highlight clipping-related problem.

I tracked down the issue: my old 35mm Nikkor.

I just want to A) Make sure this is haze and B) See what measures I can take to fix this.

Check it out: https://vimeo.com/44264605

This is my favorite lens and I really don't wanna part with it, as old as it is.

Thanks,

LL
    Picture 3 (0.00.13.10).jpg
    Picture 2 (0.00.05.15).jpg
    Picture 1 (0.00.00.16).jpg

Screen shot 2012-06-17 at 10.53.39 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-06-17 at 10.51.07 AM.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Logan LeBlanc; 06-18-2012, 11:45 AM.
    www.rookmpc.com
    rook@rookmpc.com

I've also got an old Nikkor which I love...
    I often use it... to shoot towards a bright light source, when I want that 'flared/haze look'.
    I don't often use it to shoot a sequence, because depending on the light(s) hitting the old colour coating... the shots often don't match.

I think the shot in the video clip of the host... is just out of focus... not flared.

Comment

are you shooting it wide open? I know with my old nikons if I shoot at a 1.4 its considerably softer than other lenses at 1.4

Comment

I don't remember for the two pics I posted, but I shot some footage on Friday and stopped it down a few clicks and it still had the haze.

@kerrigan, the opening shot in the clip was out of focus, but I'm pretty sure the one at the end was not. I'll try to post a still from Friday's shoot and you'll be able to see what I mean.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this? Is it, well, able to be remedied?
        www.rookmpc.com
        rook@rookmpc.com

Comment

What is the glass like? Clean and clear or fingerprints, scratches, damaged coatings, small bubbles in the glass, fungus, separation? Hold it up to the light and move it around to different angles to see the internal lenses. Pay particular attention to the rear glass, it will affect the image more than the front.

Comment

Inspect the lens closely (off the camera) and with light at various angles.

If you can see haze, mars, marks, fungus... take it to a lens technician...or get a replacement. They are cheap and available in excellent condition so fixing an old one may not be worth the time and expense.
            www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

I have pristine Nikkor 1.4's that are fairly hazy wide open. You can avoid this by not shooting into a light source or by flagging away any hot spots, but I think adding a touch of sharpening in post is the easiest way to deal with it.

Here's a 100% crop before and after sharpening.

I shoot everything on 8mm tape. BALLER STATUS

Comment

What did you use to sharpen?

Comment

My 35mm AIS 2.0 has a really dreamlike look when wide open. It goes away when it's not. It's a cool effect when the situation calls for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe748 View Post
                    Premiere sharpens nicely.

Comment

get a matte box.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe748 View Post
                        I used the stock FCPX sharpening plugin. If you have Premiere, unsharp mask will give you more control.
                        I shoot everything on 8mm tape. BALLER STATUS

Comment

That first Host shot, looks so out of focus! Yea, i also seen lens flare/softening happening with that lens. Matt box, or replace with a newer "coated" (Flare resistant) lens.

Comment

I would highly recommend against shooting wide open on any of those nikkor lenses. F 2 should be stopped down to at least 2.8.
                            sigpic
                            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2393063/
                            Actor
                            Musician
                            Filmmaker

Comment

Just a few more samples. Have at me, haha. Thanks for all the input.

Picture 3 (0.00.13.10).jpg
                              Picture 2 (0.00.05.15).jpg
                              Picture 1 (0.00.00.16).jpg
                              www.rookmpc.com
                              rook@rookmpc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X