Atomos Samurai 3.0 Firmware

Shooter

Interested to know..Has anyone installed and run Atomos Samurai 3.0 Firmware yet?

New features as per link

http://www.atomos.com/samurai/firmware/

Probably the new monitor functions being of most interest to many.

Monitoring functions - focus peaking, zebra and false color have been added. On-screen controls are also available to configure these new monitoring functions.

(Not sure why they are flogging the FCPX feature line but maybe part of the Prores Deal)

Yes, I installed it right after it was released on mine, and it is a great upgrade. The monitor actually becomes useful with it, and I swear they somehow improved the image on the monitor with the upgrade somehow (it seems brighter and more accurate to me now, have not tested to confirm, but 'feels' alot better). The zebra and peaking is really nice too and works well. It is definatly a must have firmware upgrade if you have the samurai.

As for the other features, I have not really tried them out... I mean the stuff apparently works in FCX, but I dont use FCX (I use FCP7), so no real use for them yet.

I also got the feeling that the screen is much improved with regards to brightness and contrast after the upgrade. I really like the new features and they might provide me with enough confident to use the Samurai as a monitor also.

Thanx to both for your replies.

I was wanting a degree of certainty before installing it today...just before a big shoot next week! (7 TVCs)

I will charge into it with some confidence.

My AC had just finished checking the camera gear and testing the Samurai (v2.8) yesterday afternoon when I discovered the new v3.0 firmware! (Guess we will be testing it again today)

The Samurai is not our reference monitor on set but it sure is handy in the tight spots around table top shooting. We have high regard for it as a device and I look forward to seeing the new monitor features.

I would hold off, i have had issues witch rendered my footage useless, it seems that in some cases (very few reports) that when the samurai applies a pulldown, the files corrupt.

spoken to atomos, and they are looking into a fix.

New features are great mind, but i would wait.

Haven't installed it yet. With the new monitor funtions, could it be used as a evh when doing handheld, trusting it to focus?

Hi seph

Thanx for heads up re potential issue.

We will test again prior shoot and look out for that....but luckily in PAL land ...pull down is not usually encountered in our workflows.

Beauty of external recording...is one also has the SD card footage as insurance.

Please make sure that the audio is set properly, you cannot have SDI and Analog sound both turned "on" or there is terrible beeping noise which you do not hear when monitoring during recording. If you do a short test and play the clip back on your computer, and it is OK, that should be sufficient. Otherwise 3.0 is great, especially the false color. I have contacted Atomos and they have identified the problem and are working on a fix.

That Beeping sound is the same problem that I have encountered, but it has happens to me whilst recording sound from just the sdi,

And shooter I am in the uk. Recording 25p from the 50i signal from the af 101.

I just got word from Atomos that they have indeed tweaked the display to make it better so my eyes didn't lie. Apparently the new 3.01 FW fixes bugs but I haven't got to shoot anything yet.

I was having a few issues with the 3.0 update with my Scarlet. I hope 3.01 will fix them. I'm really waiting for the matching file names with the RED files feature.

I updated to 3.01 yesterday. Went fine.

FWIW I contacted Atomos regarding an updated User Manual. It is imminent evidently.

I will be interested in learning about the matching filenames scenario. Where did you hear about that Bob?

I am using the Samurai with a Red Epic later this week. The info could be helpful because I am using it as a secondary recorder and for onset playback purposes.

The samurai works great with epic/scarlet as a backup and on set replay device since there is still no audio playback abilities on the Red yet. At NAB Atomos promised that with 3.0 it will have the ability to match the file names generated for the R3D files. But it looks like it didn't make it in yet. The matching names ability would allow quick editing of the proRes files and then using XML you could swap out to the original Red raw files. Granted many people machines are fast enough to just edit off the Raws in CS6.

Thanx Bob

Well there is XML export in 3.01.

I have not had time to see what it does or what potential use I may have for it.

As regards Samurai and dual recording to it and SD Cards.

We make a great effort to get the naming protocols to match between the AVCHD and the Samurai Prores. This requires us to "waste" the first file on the AF102 because it is always 000.mts and the Samurai cant record "0000".

It is kind of practically convenient but also kind of un neccesary because our post workflow using edls discovers and matches the files on TC and not filename when conforming.

Thats very cool and maybe of some help to you as well with the Red.

Back