Urgent! Problems with data import in FCP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent! Problems with data import in FCP

I'm currently shooting a lot of scènes for a documentary.
    I first shot some interviews with the default (initial factory..) settings from the camera and I did not have any problems importing the video using log and transfer in FCP. With these default settings the video is almost converting real time, no problem. (mostly files longer than 1 hour)

However, I have changed the image settings in order to improve the image quality, etc.. but now the video imports extremely slow and as soon when shots are longer then a few minutes. They sometimes even stop importing. the following error appears: no data (!)
    In this case I have to split up the long shots in peaces of 5 min and then it does convert (most of the time), but still extremely slow. It make things really complicated for post production.
    I hope someone has the right solution for me!
    These are the settings I'm using: menu-scene file:

scene select: F2
    Operation type: Film cam
    Rec Fortmat: PH 1080/25P
    VFR Mode: off
    Frame rate:
    Syncro scan: 190
    Detail level: -4
    V detail level:-4
    Detail coring: -2
    Chroma level: 0
    Chroma phase: 0
    Color temp Ach: 0
    Color temp Bch: 0
    Master Ped: 0
    A Iris level: 0
    DRS: off
    Gamma: SD normal
    Knee: low
    Matrix: Norm 1
    Skintone DTL: off
    B/W mode: off
    card read: NO
    card write: NO
    load/save/init: NO
    Name Edit: no

I look forward to your answers.

Just shot a 48 Hour Film Project this weekend, and we ran into the same problem when logging and transferring from our SD card. Turned out to be a faulty card, so we ended up using footage from our hyperdeck shuttle in the picture cutting for those shots. It doesn't sound like a problem that would have anything to do with the image settings though. Perhaps a new SD card is in order?

At any rate, hope you get the issue sorted!
    www.jonathanhout.com

Panasonic AG-AF100
    Panasonic GH2

Lens Kit

Contax: Zeiss 28mm f/2.8, Zeiss 50mm f/1.7, Zeiss 85mm f/2.8
    Panasonic: Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon: Tokina 11-16 2.8; Nikkor 28mm f/2.8; Nikkor 55mm f/2.8
    Minolta: Celtic 35mm f/2.8; Rokkor-X 45mm f/2; Rokkor PF 55mm f/2

Comment

I don't think it is a problem with the card. After having changed the settings, when I ran into this problem, I have gone back to the default settings just to make sure, and the data import works fine again.. (with the same card)

Comment

Originally posted by vanhoenacker View Post
        I don't think it is a problem with the card. After having changed the settings, when I ran into this problem, I have gone back to the default settings just to make sure, and the data import works fine again.. (with the same card)
        There is no way that changing the settings in camera would have that kind of effect. I would get rid of that card QUICK! Another link in the chain could be your card reader, i've had those go bad intermittently.

Comment

I'll doublecheck. I am very sure it is not the cardreader and I am now doublechecking the card I am working with, although I am pretty sure it is not the card..
          I'll let u know soon
          Tx

Comment

ok, I have checked both settings with one and the same card, in fact, I tried several crards. My problem remains.. I'm not saying it's the settings, but I haven't got another explanation.
            Someone?

Comment

As long as we're making wild guesses here... try copying the card to another card in camera, import the second card, see what happens (or if it has difficulties copying)?

FYI, copying a card is very slow...

But I agree, no way settings can affect importing, and there's not even anything "extreme" about your settings (if there was even such a thing).

Comment

I 've made disk images on my,hard drive and tried importing from those and the problem doesn't seem to disappear.
                Nobody else had these problems or this error?

Comment

I've never had problems like the one you describe... I always create a new folder, name it, and drag all of the contents of my card into that folder. I log and transfer in FCP7, even though I'm editing in FCPX. It is easier to name and archive the clips that way.. But it sounds like you know what you're doing, so I hope you figure it out...

Comment

I have never had this kind of problem. Sounds like the files are corrupted somehow. Are you able to play back the native files on your computer?

Have you tried importing the files with ShotputPro? It is a great software for offloading cards. After importing it performs a check to see that the copied files are ok - although it may be that it only compares them to the originals (?), which would not be helpful if the originals were already faulty.

Comment

Will the files play back on the camera? The camera settings should have ZERO effect.

Comment

L&T has proven unreliable for transcoding AVCHD in my productions. I get the same, semi-random stop-sign error regardless of card, scene file, reader, or any other variable.

I use ClipWrap instead
                        Pudgy bearded camera guy
                        http://mcbob.tv

Comment

The original file are not corrupt I think. If I split them up in 5 min peaces, they do get imported without data errors..
                          Does the transcoding take long with you guyes? I'm telling you that these different settings take different times of transcoding, I don't understand it..
                          I'll try and find Clipwrap.
                          Thanks,
                          B

Comment

the files playback on the camera by the way

Comment

Originally posted by vanhoenacker View Post
                              the files playback on the camera by the way
                              very bizarre. I'm starting to suspect your computer? What model is it?

I use 2 computers with my af100, a 13" core duo macbook pro and an octo core mac pro. Log and transfer on the 13" will often result in random glitches in the converted footage. I have seen threads from many people on this and it seems to be limited to core duo based machines, i5's and i7s do not suffer from this. Clip wrap works fine on the laptop, but i much prefer using log and transfer for the convenient naming conventions. My Mac pro is what i do most of my transcoding on, and using log and transfer to transcode to prores takes about 0.25x realtime, so a 1 minute clip transcodes in about 15 seconds.

Is there another mac that you have access to that you could try to see if the problem is consistent across different computers?
                              Another piece of software you can try for transcoding is 5d2rgb, Many claim it results in much better transcodes, but it is significantly slower than any of the other options out there.

-tim

Comment

Working...
                              X