Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF100B - In the name of building a small, balanced shoulder rig, I'd like to see:

- a relocatable viewfinder. At this point, I'd settle for the one we have now but with the ability to disconnect it from the back position. I would just need a short viewfinder coil cable included so I can put it where I need it.
    - a jack that outputs focus magnification control in addition to start/stop, focus and iris.
    - a Vocas or Westside AV wood hand grip with start/stop & focus magnification buttons built in.

Comment

And here we are: the new models have been announced and NO word about any progress on the development of the AF 200 or whatever its being called.... No mention if its even going to be continued..... I am quite disappointed! Panasonic started a sort of revolution and chickened out while others followed (especially Canon with C100-500 or Sony FS 700). The idea of a large single sensor movie cam, started by Panasonic and dropped, while Arri shakes out an absolutely overweight "shoulder" model. Panasonic: whats up???

Comment

The facts are these: “AMSTERDAM. 13 SEPTEMBER 2013 — In response to the growing worldwide demand for 4K production, Panasonic Professional Camera Solutions is prioritizing the development of the 4K VariCam camera recorder. The VariCam will be a highly practical camera, boasting features and performance suitable not only for 4K cinema, but also HDTV content production. The camera is set for launch in 2014. Panasonic has also unveiled the development of the new Ultra P2 cards at IBC."
        In other words, for the year 2013, Panasonic could not get the ball into the endzone. They could not stretch and get a 4K product to market in 2013, and they couldn't outflank and get a gee-whiz great non-4K product to market in 2013. BMD stretched and may well yet get their 4K Cinema Camera (first promised for July) out in September or October. But Panasonic's announcement makes it look like they are a solid year away from shipping 4K, and they are absolutely nowhere in terms of anything meaningful for the AF100 platform.

On balance, I'm disappointed. Other companies ended up building the cameras that I'd hoped to buy from Panasonic as I built my business.

Comment

4k Varicam is hardly the logical upgrade from an AF100. What happened to the camera that should've come out in the middle? The AF100A is/was a joke.
          Join my facebook group for other group buys and special pricing on video kit.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cinekitlist/

Comment

What happened to this bad boy?

image.jpg
            Dp Reel
            http://www.joncarrdp.com/
            RED EPIC & G&E Rentals in NYC
            http://www.visualcinema.com/rentals/cameras/
            Instagram
            http://instagram.com/joncarrdp
            EPIC-X DRAGON #5359 GN​-X Schneider Xenon FF Primes PL
            It's REDcode or no code...

Comment

1 - 10 bit 4:2:2
              2 - 4K
              3 - 100 or 150 fps slowmotion

Comment

Cost is SO essential for that bracket in the market, I hope they get this. Do your best to make it cheaper. So, use your existing mass-produced GH4 m43s Sensor, it's a superb 4K image and with a simple SB it's almost standard cinema s35 size. Of course the Codec will be 10bit 4:2:2 AVC and it will have V-log so any GH4 video-feel can be eliminated with a strong codec and a cinema LOG gamma. This saves a lot of money, allows 6K stills/timelapse mode, and 4:3 anamorphic 4K mode.

Use the most cost effective design & build material. Make it small and light, able to use cheap media and power.

Effectively, a GH4 in a video-friendly body, with a 10bit 422 codec and V-Log, 120fps, XLRs, SDI and you've got yourselves an affordable 3-4K beast.

Comment

That sounds like something I'd be interested in... using tech that they've already developed. I don't want to try to make the GH4 SLR transition... I'm still working the "original" AF100 to death. As far as the ergonomics... most of my work is on a fluid head tripod, dolly, jib, or some other stable support, so I'm fine with the shape. A detachable VF would be OK but not necessary for me... I still use it all the time (in B&W with red focus assist). but Please don't make it all modular! Those of us who need external monitors already have them and feed them HDMI.
                  Keep it simple & Friendly and make it remind us of how we all started loving the revolution that was the look of the DVX100.
                  http://www.vimeo.com/daleanthonysmith
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/multimed...ature=mhee#p/a

AF100, GH1(pair), Lumix Lenses: 20mm, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 100-300mm Nikon Lenses: 55mm macro f3.5, 50mm f1.4
                  CS5 workstation 24gb RAM, ProAim Mattebox w/ 4" filters, CobraCrain Jib w/motor pan/tilt on Quickset Herculese jibpod

Comment

- better codec (10 bit 4:2:2)
                    - v-log/lut support
                    - more display options (meaning: magnification for focus, dual zebra, show color temperature of manual wb, show audio levels in dB,...)

and #4, as it's not really about the camera: a relatively cheap ENG style par-focal power-zoom lens for m4:3, similar to the one, sony offers with the fs7 (but wide enough, say, starting at 14 or 12mm)

i hope, we will know more, come monday
                    Last edited by unami; 04-11-2015, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Any updates? Did Panasonic end up continuing with the AF100 concept in any way? I was loaned one to test for a few shoots - like it, but sent it back and purchased their AC130. Anybody still working w/ AF100? or what did you end up moving to next?

Comment

Originally posted by Multihandle View Post
                        Any updates? Did Panasonic end up continuing with the AF100 concept in any way? I was loaned one to test for a few shoots - like it, but sent it back and purchased their AC130. Anybody still working w/ AF100? or what did you end up moving to next?
                        I've never owned an af100 (I did want one at the time of release), but I'd bet most have moved on to the Canon C100/300. Ticks all the same boxes as the AF, but does almost everything better...

Comment

I ended up moving on to the C100mk1 for one month and switched to the FS700 because of the lack of slow-motion. Couple years after that I switched to the FS7 when Sony started delivery of it. Best decision for my company. Still in love with the look and codec options.

Comment

I have no experience at all with Panasonic video camera. I am not using cameras professionally, just for my amateur photo shooting of nature and my pets. By the way, I am from https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/texas/. What model will you suggest to buy? Of course, I cannot afford very expensive professional variants.
                            Last edited by didkko; 07-17-2021, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X