Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstly I would like to say I love the AF101, which have been shooting with for over a year and am still surprised by how good the pictures are. Very well done Jan and the Panasonic team!

My 3 suggested improvements for a successor would be:

-A super 35 chip - but I would also love to still use my Voigtländers! Perhaps using a crop mode but I'm not sure how plausible this is.

-Improved sensor - in regards to resolution and and dynamic range.

-10bit 422 internal recording.

I am ready to upgrade and would pay more than the current price for something with these features.

This is a great thread. It's great to know manufactures are looking for real feedback.

Thanks
    Joe

Comment

Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
      1.) 12-bit 4:4:4 RAW & ProRes 444 HQ recorded direct to SSD (with options for other codecs such as AVC, etc.)
      2.) s35 sensor with 4K recording & 13-stops DR, with improved VFR (up to 120fps in 1920x1080 (mandates new 35mm PL/Canon EF/Nikon lens mounting)
      3.) 1920x1080 4.8" LED IPS capacitive multi-touch display w/zoom (with the ability to still control interface view switches/buttons)
      Realistic expectations???
      I doubt it!

4K & RAW may be the latest buzz words, But having actually worked with raw files & 4K shooting, I can honestly say that I don't need it for my clients at this time.

ProRes 444 HQ, Ever do any real work with those big files? We do TV commercials that are many times well over 20 layers deep.

I absolutely hate touch screen monitors! Anyone that has used an iPad will tell you that they get all smeared with oil from your fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by dwiener View Post
        1-Better dynamic range
        2-10 bit 4:2:2
        3- Better resolution

And if sticking with m4/3 a line of cinema style lenses. Better native glass options would benefit current owners as well as future buyers of an m4/3 camera.
        Panasonic: Cinema style lenses means, the lens have to focus and/of zoom in the right direction! The only still lenses are Canon Sigma and Olympus.

Comment

1) 10 bit 4:2:2 AVC-Intra
          2) Real 1080p resolution
          3) At least 12 stops of dynamic range
          4) 1:1 focus assist during recording
          Jaime Vallés
          AJV Media
          Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

Comment

1 - 10 Bit 4:2:2
            2 - Larger Sensor (not so much for the resolution because it is pretty sharp already! , but rather to be able to use more of the field of view of my full frame lenses...)
            3 - 1 button push focus assist / hvx like
            AF100 - Contax Zeiss - Sachtler FSB8 T

Comment

1) Move the Flip-Out LCD a little further forward on the body so that it can be used when cam is on the shoulder. Maybe even with a Panasonic-branded clip-on eyepiece?
              2) 10 Bit - External through SDI if it needs to be for targeted cost...
              3) Can the audio level wheels be made to move more smoothly/easily? It's impossible to gradually turn up the levels with the current Panasonic design.
              Nate Haustein

PXW-FX9 / FCPX

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Haustein View Post
                1) Move the Flip-Out LCD a little further forward on the body so that it can be used when cam is on the shoulder. Maybe even with a Panasonic-branded clip-on eyepiece?
                3) Can the audio level wheels be made to move more smoothly/easily? It's impossible to gradually turn up the levels with the current Panasonic design.
                These are things I hadn't thought of, but would be great improvements
                Pudgy bearded camera guy
                http://mcbob.tv

Comment

Apart from all the typical things that everyone is mentioning I'd like there to be an option to have the waveform in the bottom right corner of the LCD and made transparent, so it can be left on whilst shooting. I find it frustrating to have to turn it on and off constantly.

Comment

Can't believe I left this out on my other post, but when in VFR mode, NO levels should show on the audio level meter. Even better would be for audio to be recorded.
                    A feature film shot on the Sony FS7

www.Summerof67.com

Comment

Dynamic Range, log curve, higher fps, s35
                      LEARNING TO IMAGE

Comment

Hmm it's hard to pick 3.

- More Resolution / Sharpness
                        - 10-bit 422 (high bitrate please)
                        - Better DR & Highlight Handling

+1 to others who said higher FPS, should be included IMO as this is likely to be the norm once an AF200 would even come about. The 1:1 option while recording (WITH the option to move around where I'm zooming) would also be GREAT.

I can't think of much more I would really want, the AF100 is a solid camera feature wise.
                        http://www.prohaskastudios.com

Comment

4 things it MUST have (to have any chance of competing):

- Better resolution (we aren't going to buy any more 1080p cameras that don't resolve anything close to 1080 lines)
                          - Greater dynamic range (all the other kids are doing it); 12 stops would be nice
                          - Better highlight handling
                          - UPGRADEABLE FIRMWARE - with a commitment to try to improve the camera further through updates (a la FS100 and F3)

3 upgrades it SHOULD have, if it's priced the same as the AF100:

- 1:1 focus assist
                          - At least 120fps slow mode (by the time it comes out, slow-mo will be all the rage)
                          - HD-SDI out upgraded to 10 bit 4:2:2

This would result in an updated (not up-line) camera that would compete well at hold-steady pricing.

3 things that would be NICE to have (but would likely result in a price increase):

- S35 sensor (but maybe still with MFT mount and MFT sensor crop)
                          - Better, higher-bitrate codec like (likely resulting in MicroP2 use)
                          - QUALITY, removable, cabled EVF (with 1/4 20 mount) and grip (with rosette)

...but then the price would be nudged into FS700 territory. If that's the case, then go all the way, and up the slow-mo ante to higher rates, make it 4K ready.

Do all of the above and you've got a serious Scarlet/FS700 contender. Do the first 7 items for an updated AF100 at current pricing.
                          -----------------------------------------------------
                          I.N.A.T.E. - I.A.T.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R View Post
                            4 things it MUST have (to have any chance of competing):

- Better resolution (we aren't going to buy any more 1080p cameras that don't resolve anything close to 1080 lines)
                            - Greater dynamic range (all the other kids are doing it); 12 stops would be nice
                            - Better highlight handling
                            - UPGRADEABLE FIRMWARE - with a commitment to try to improve the camera further through updates (a la FS100 and F3)

3 upgrades it SHOULD have, if it's priced the same as the AF100:

- 1:1 focus assist
                            - At least 120fps slow mode (by the time it comes out, slow-mo will be all the rage)
                            - HD-SDI out upgraded to 10 bit 4:2:2

This would result in an updated (not up-line) camera that would compete well at hold-steady pricing.

3 things that would be NICE to have (but would likely result in a price increase):

- S35 sensor (but maybe still with MFT mount and MFT sensor crop)
                            - Better, higher-bitrate codec like (likely resulting in MicroP2 use)
                            - QUALITY, removable, cabled EVF (with 1/4 20 mount) and grip (with rosette)

...but then the price would be nudged into FS700 territory. If that's the case, then go all the way, and up the slow-mo ante to higher rates, make it 4K ready.

Do all of the above and you've got a serious Scarlet/FS700 contender. Do the first 7 items for an updated AF100 at current pricing.
                            +1 to all that (especially the idea of upgradeable firmware), plus a color gamut that really distinguishes red from orange. When I shoot electronic gadgets, my Canon EOS cameras give me red reds, orange oranges, and yellow yellows coming from the gadget's LEDs. The AF100 confounds them all into almost the same color bin, with red and orange nearly indistinguishable, and yellow looking more like a bright orange.

Comment

1. For people to stop settling for 10-bit 4:2:2. Have this as a recording option via AVC, but also provided UP TO 12-bit RAW 4:4:4 and ProRes options

It's only a bandwidth issue, and the tech is already there and cost efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by filmguy123 View Post
                                1. For people to stop settling for 10-bit 4:2:2. Have this as a recording option via AVC, but also provided UP TO 12-bit RAW 4:4:4 and ProRes options

It's only a bandwidth issue, and the tech is already there and cost efficient.
                                This isn't the appropriate place for such statements. Please keep it in the other thread. This thread is for feature requests, not a place to argue the merits of 10bit 4:2:2 vs Raw or 12 bit 4:4:4 in a ~$5k camera. Let's try to not derail it.

Comment

Working...
                                X