Exciting news for upcoming feature film to be shot with AF100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exciting news for upcoming feature film to be shot with AF100

Hi everyone! Just wanted to share some exciting news about my upcoming feature "41A". I have the unique opportunity to present to the world the feature film debut of legendary Sci-Fi author Alan Dean Foster. For those not familiar with the name, he wrote the novelizations of just about every major Sci-Fi film in existence (Star Wars, Star Trek (2009), Transformers, Alien, Alien Nation, The Last Starfighter, etc.) as well as an ever growing list of original work. I'm super excited about it and can't wait to start shooting in December/January. Alan will be playing the role of my bad guy - crooked evangelist, Myrom Holliday.

Congrats! Sounds like a cool project

Comment

Being a sci-fi enthusiast, I'll be looking forward to seeing this. Sounds like fun! And congratulations on getting Alan on-board with the production.

Ken

Comment

Yes keep us all posted. Sounds like it will be a real thrill ride.

Best,

Jan
        Jan Crittenden Livingston
        Panasonic System Communications Corporation
        Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Comment

Sounds exciting! I'd love to see how it turns out, from an AF100 user's point of view.

a7s, AF100, 5Dmkii and more lenses than I have storage for.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'll definitely keep you all posted on the progress. The pressure is on now to make sure everything has that extra notch of quality. For instance, I think I'll swap out the NTG-2 mic in favor of the NTG-3 (just a much nicer sound out of that and it works great for both indoor and outdoor shots). I'll also be using an SD 302 mixer feeding into an H4N. And of course I'll be renting a kit of Zeiss ZF.2 lenses instead of using the old Nikon primes I was planning on using. I know the CP.2 lenses are supposed to be better, but they're the same glass just in a different housing and I really don't think a "nicer bokeh" is really going to make that much difference.

Comment

Kind of wondering about your budget & crew size after your last post?

Comment

Originally posted by plwells42 View Post
                I'll definitely keep you all posted on the progress. The pressure is on now to make sure everything has that extra notch of quality. For instance, I think I'll swap out the NTG-2 mic in favor of the NTG-3 (just a much nicer sound out of that and it works great for both indoor and outdoor shots). I'll also be using an SD 302 mixer feeding into an H4N. And of course I'll be renting a kit of Zeiss ZF.2 lenses instead of using the old Nikon primes I was planning on using. I know the CP.2 lenses are supposed to be better, but they're the same glass just in a different housing and I really don't think a "nicer bokeh" is really going to make that much difference.

Wow, congratulations and best of luck!

Just curious though, why the H4N over recording uncompressed in-camera?

Shawn

Comment

also wondering why the h4n and not a professional sound person with their gear
                  http://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/jambred

Comment

I am funding this myself, so my budget is definitely shoe-string. Thus, I really can't afford a professional sound guy. I was lucky enough to get Alan to do this for travel and lodging plus a bit of equity on the back end.

I wanted to get an H4N anyway to have a nice compact method of recording sound effects, but I suppose I could just use it for that and eliminate the sound alignment headache in post by running from the mixer into the camera. If I run a successful Kickstarter campaign (which I'm a little apprehensive about) I guess I could factor in the cost of a pro sound guy. Anyone have any success with Kickstarter?

Comment

By the way, I just have to add that I'm really impressed with the AF100 footage every time I see it. So cinematic looking. Jan, you all at Panasonic really hit a home run with this thing.

Comment

Never tried kickstart. I will say, as I posted in another thread, that I canceled production on my low budget feature film a few years back when I couldn't raise the $700K needed to produce it properly. And that budget was with me calling in favors earned over the years.

Good Luck with your project!

Dave

Comment

David, just out curiosity and a desire to avoid making the same mistakes as others, what kind of production was your film? Was it an action film? Were you hiring a professional cast and crew? $700K just seems like a huge amount of money when considering a low-budget production. I'm not suggesting it wasn't a justified amount. I just don't see needing very much for the film I'm making. The cinematography is the most important element for me, which is why I'm going to dish out a good chunk to get an experienced DP that has a track record of getting the look that I want with my film. Other than that, I'm going with friends and volunteers for the other crew roles. I'll be renting the lenses, lights and some of the other equipment.

Comment

Unfortunately, with Kickstarter, if your project doesn't meet its funding target, the money goes
                            back to the investors ... you can't re-purpose it.

I think that Boxcare Faire AF100 video was financed by Kickstarter.

jeff

Comment

It was a biblical drama. Total budget was $747,000 including shooting the treatment.
                              Like I said, that was with me calling in a lot of chips. The treatment was to be shot on 35mm while the movie was to be shot on the Red One. And honestly I was cutting as many corners as possible to come in that low. Yes all professional cast and crew.

Comment

Working...
                              X