Panasonic would have had a winner if they had made an AF100 with the GH2 sensor.

Jan has stated that the AF100 actually uses the GH2 sensor. The difference is it's not using the full sensor rather a crop of it, which is why the GH2 is a little wider at all focal lengths as well. Why the difference in quality? The OLPF sensor which I want Panasonic to replace in mine but will never happen -___-

Jan has stated that the AF100 actually uses the GH2 sensor.

Can you show me where this is stated? I remember reading somewhere that the af100 had it's sensor designed for that camera from the ground up. And that it was not the same sensor as the gh2, just the same size and thats it.

Take anything you read there with a grain of salt

Couldn't agree more, I think this was the second time I went to that site. The first was the same rediculous biased opinions, just based on a different set of circumstances. I stay away from sites like that. Opinions are like a-holes, everybodies got one.

Can you show me where this is stated? I remember reading somewhere that the af100 had it's sensor designed for that camera from the ground up. And that it was not the same sensor as the gh2, just the same size and thats it.
I have to look for it with a deeper search later. Maybe it was on another forum. I remember clearly she mentioned that and a forum member had a great conversation with her about it.

The picture that comes out of a camera is not solely down to the sensor. Even if the sensor is similar they have different processors, OLPF and compression techniques.

If the GH2's image was available in the AF100 body I would be all over it....FAST. The AF100 is what it is and the GH2 as well. I think the GH2's image is amazing (hacked especially) and the AF100's functionality is wonderful. If I could get both combined that would be great, but that's not likely.

You never know.

Oh, and despite EOSHD and some of it's BS of the past...don't toss out that post just yet. Steve Weiss has confirmed what's being spoken of there. The GH2 held up big time in their test this time, and in the blind-test when they didn't label which camera was which, lots of folks (to their surprise and frustration) kept picking it...LOL.

Hopefully in the future we'll get something at the price of an AF100 that can give the kind of detail that the GH2 can deliver. I liked the AF100's image for what it was, and it can deliver some great stuff, but putting those two together is the best combo I can imagine.

Weather you like EOSHD or any other site/blog all I'm saying is if Panasonic made a Af100 type camera that gave the hacked GH2 image sort of image, then Id be all over it like a fat kid on a lollypop, and I bet many others would be as well.

"...the C300 colors were poor (with a greenish cast) while the blacks on the RED Epic were crushed."

Then someone graded it wrong. Period. There is no reason for that.

I can here it now.

The rolling shutter on the AF-100 with the GH2 sensor is horrible. Why would they do that? :)

"...the C300 colors were poor (with a greenish cast) while the blacks on the RED Epic were crushed."

Then someone graded it wrong. Period. There is no reason for that.

The greater context of the Zacuto shootout to me is that talented people can do amazing things. Its not the camera. Great cinematography, lighting, grading etc can make a lower end camera look great. A higher end camera gives you more to work with but it doesn't save an artist from his craft.

I do like the blind aspect of the test. I find a lot of people instantly dismiss the footage the moment they find out its from a GH2 especially Canon fanboys.

We do have a winner in the AF100, and it starts with the same silicon as the GHS. We apply a different set of filters to it so that we do not have the same skew and moire as the GH2.

Thanks,

Jan

Babu said: GH2 is a little wider at all focal lengths as well. Why the difference in quality? The OLPF sensor which I want Panasonic to replace in mine but will never happen.

Two things here. The part of the sensor that the AF100 uses is wider than that of the GH2, it isn't as tall as the GH2. Second, the OLPF keeps you from haveing Aliasing and Moire. I really do not think you should have it replaced with anything.

Back