Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic would have had a winner if they had made an AF100 with the GH2 sensor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic would have had a winner if they had made an AF100 with the GH2 sensor.

Just read this on EOSHD.cpm and was thinking that Panasonic would have had such a huge winner if they had released a AF100 replacement with the GH2 sensor. Its the only thing they had to change and it would have been fantastic.
    I was actually thinking thats what they would be doing before NAB but sadly no

Any way here is the EOSHD article re the gh2 image :

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8114/au...-alexa-and-f65
    Producer-Director at Jackson Speed PTY LTD. Media Production in Sydney
    Also, freelance DOP.

Web Site: www.jacksonspeed.com
    Show Reel:vimeo
    FaceBook: Jackson Speed
    Blog: AnyCameraWillDo.com
    FaceBook: Any Camera Will Do

Not eoshd again.

Comment

Also, freelance DOP.

Comment

Jan has stated that the AF100 actually uses the GH2 sensor. The difference is it's not using the full sensor rather a crop of it, which is why the GH2 is a little wider at all focal lengths as well. Why the difference in quality? The OLPF sensor which I want Panasonic to replace in mine but will never happen -___-

Comment

Take anything you read there with a grain of salt.

Comment

Jan has stated that the AF100 actually uses the GH2 sensor.
            Can you show me where this is stated? I remember reading somewhere that the af100 had it's sensor designed for that camera from the ground up. And that it was not the same sensor as the gh2, just the same size and thats it.

Comment

Take anything you read there with a grain of salt
              Couldn't agree more, I think this was the second time I went to that site. The first was the same rediculous biased opinions, just based on a different set of circumstances. I stay away from sites like that. Opinions are like a-holes, everybodies got one.

Comment

Originally posted by maranfilms View Post
                Can you show me where this is stated? I remember reading somewhere that the af100 had it's sensor designed for that camera from the ground up. And that it was not the same sensor as the gh2, just the same size and thats it.
                I have to look for it with a deeper search later. Maybe it was on another forum. I remember clearly she mentioned that and a forum member had a great conversation with her about it.

Comment

The picture that comes out of a camera is not solely down to the sensor. Even if the sensor is similar they have different processors, OLPF and compression techniques.
                  Camera
                  Panasonic AF101, Shoulder Support, Grips, Matte Box & Follow Focus. Manfrotto HDV501 Tripod
                  GoPro Hero2
                  Lenses
                  Lumix 14mm F2.5, Nikon 28mm F2.0, Nikon 35mm F2, Nikon 50mm F1.8, Nikon 85mm F2, Nikon 18-70mm Zoom F3.5-5.6, Lumix 14-42 Zoom F3.5-5.6
                  Sound
                  Rode NTG-1 Mic, K&M 23770 Carbon Fibre Boom Pole, Sennheiser EW133 Radio Mic

Comment

GH2 sensor is larger and have more pixels. 12MP vs 18MP and 17,8x10mm vs 18,8x10,6mm

Comment

If the GH2's image was available in the AF100 body I would be all over it....FAST. The AF100 is what it is and the GH2 as well. I think the GH2's image is amazing (hacked especially) and the AF100's functionality is wonderful. If I could get both combined that would be great, but that's not likely.

You never know.

Oh, and despite EOSHD and some of it's BS of the past...don't toss out that post just yet. Steve Weiss has confirmed what's being spoken of there. The GH2 held up big time in their test this time, and in the blind-test when they didn't label which camera was which, lots of folks (to their surprise and frustration) kept picking it...LOL.

Hopefully in the future we'll get something at the price of an AF100 that can give the kind of detail that the GH2 can deliver. I liked the AF100's image for what it was, and it can deliver some great stuff, but putting those two together is the best combo I can imagine.
                      http://www.prohaskastudios.com

Comment

Weather you like EOSHD or any other site/blog all I'm saying is if Panasonic made a Af100 type camera that gave the hacked GH2 image sort of image, then Id be all over it like a fat kid on a lollypop, and I bet many others would be as well.
                        Also, freelance DOP.

Comment

"...the C300 colors were poor (with a greenish cast) while the blacks on the RED Epic were crushed."

Then someone graded it wrong. Period. There is no reason for that.
                          Matt Gottshalk
                          Director of Production
                          BPI.tv

Comment

+ 1, a hacked GH2 sensor in an AF body. No more complaints from me.

Comment

I can here it now.

The rolling shutter on the AF-100 with the GH2 sensor is horrible. Why would they do that?
                              YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/user/ErikNaso
                              VIMEO: http://www.vimeo.com/eriknaso
                              BLOG: www.eriknaso.com
                              TWITTER: eriknaso https://twitter.com/ErikNaso?lang=en

Comment

Working...
                              X