B4 Mount Lens Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B4 Mount Lens Question

Im looking at getting a B4 lens for the AF101 with 2 x extender, I am aware that you have to use the extender and also the light loss but my question is do the lenses have to be made for widescreen cams? I ask as there are quite a few older B4 mount lenses around and some coming of older 4:3 cams, may seem a dumb question but does it matter?

Steve
    http://www.wedding-video.co.uk

Originally posted by Steslat View Post
    Im looking at getting a B4 lens for the AF101 with 2 x extender, I am aware that you have to use the extender and also the light loss but my question is do the lenses have to be made for widescreen cams? I ask as there are quite a few older B4 mount lenses around and some coming of older 4:3 cams, may seem a dumb question but does it matter?

Steve
    I assume you are asking if SD lenses will vignette. No, they won't. The Canon J series and the Fujinon A series, with 2x extender, will work fine.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

I had an older Fujinon 5.5-47 BEVM wide angle that was made before 16x9 became the norm and even with the doubler it vignettes. So test before you buy if you can.
      Rohan Dadswell
      Freelance Lighting Cameraman - www.rotahead.com.au
      Blackmagic Production Cam & Blackmagic Pocket Cam
      JVC LS-300, 2 x Sony PMW-350, 2 x NanoFlash, Sony X70, Pana GH2,3 & 4, Gopro
      Shed full of lights, dollies, jibs, gimbal & other toys

Comment

An older 4x3 only less may not cover. Wasn't designed for that image area.
        Mitch Gross
        Prolycht Lighting
        NYC

Comment

I can remember shooting with the SDX900, and the difference between older SD B4 lenses and the newer HD lenses was apparent.

Comment

The Fujinon A5.5x8.5 has 1.7x extender and not a 2x, which would explain why it vignettes

Comment

Originally posted by Paul F View Post
              I assume you are asking if SD lenses will vignette. No, they won't. The Canon J series and the Fujinon A series, with 2x extender, will work fine.
              I was surprisingly pleased with the results I got with the Canon j21. I had concerns that using a non-hd lens on this cam would be suspect. Not at all. Very nice detail, sharp and warm.
              https://vimeo.com/44491536
              Foundation Digital Media
              foundationdigitalmedia.com

Comment

Working...
              X