Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid sensationalist rumor about Panasonic AF100 successor ‘deleted’?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid sensationalist rumor about Panasonic AF100 successor ‘deleted’?

I read this on EOSHD blog and get petrified:

"...Panasonic have been awfully quiet at NAB and I’m wondering why they have a new codec with no camera to go with it.

Well…

The well connected editor of 43rumors has told me (and this comes from one of his sources) that Panasonic have deleted the AG AF line. The AF100 had not been selling well and had seen a significant price drop since launch.

Apparently this frees Panasonic up to concentrate on a Super 35mm camera.

But in my opinion the move is too drastic. All Panasonic Pro Video needed to produce is a cutting edge Super 35mm sensor, keep the Micro Four Thirds mount and support for lenses, and have a 4:3 crop mode for those optics whilst using the full sensor for everything else. The form factor could have done with being shrunk, but I for one am sorry we shall probably not be seeing an AF camera for around the $6000 mark again...."

See:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7943/na...cessor-deleted
    Ernesto Diaz Ruiz

The AF100 at our home, in Bogotá, Colombia, a couple of hours, see this:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7233.543097084
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRSk...2&feature=plcp

Kind of makes me wonder if this isn't because, at the price point, equipment like the AF-100 is available to a larger audience yet a percentage of these aren't familiar with having to know (or willing to learn) how to operate a camera that isn't "point & shoot."

I'm remembering there were some early adopters that, in what seemed to me to be a very short period of time, were re-selling their AF-100's and complaining about some aspect or another . . .

This is a camera that has served to make me a better shooter because not only do you have a sense of how to operate it, but you learn how necessary it is to pay close attention (to what you are doing).

It's, as no camera is, "NOT for everyone" but it works for me. Glad I was able to secure one before they all disappear!
    Canon 70-200 & 24-70, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4, Lumix 20, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300.

Comment

I actually asked the gentleman at EOSHD to please remove the references to the AF100 not being continued, and he basically defended his right to spread rumor and innuendo. He totally missed the AVC-ultra 4K camera so we did show a new codec and we did show a camera to go with it, in fact we also showed the HPX600 which will be totally upgradable to the new codec.

Lastly the AF100 is not going away, it is still very viablle and we continue to sell them.

Best regards,

jan
      Jan Crittenden Livingston
      Panasonic System Communications Corporation
      Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Comment

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...of-the-AF-line

My likewise take:

Poppycock.

Their broadcast-level cams were most due for a major upgrade, which they got.

They only debuted the HPX/AC small-chip cameras last year ("cancelling" the HVX/HMC line?). AF was two years ago. Before that was... well, broadcast cameras.

If this trend is anything, something should arise next year, probably (hopefully) utilizing µP2 and AVC-Ultra. Maybe it will be called AF-AG. Maybe it will be called something different. Maybe it will be my dreamt-of µ43-mount, S35 sensor with selectable crop modes including 4/3, S16, 2/3", and 1/2".

In the meantime, the AF100 is still a delightful camera with nothing nearly as flexible or versatile in its price range currently or recently announced. Yes, I know about the FS100 (which is now almost half-over the cost of the AF)... I just rather hated using it (or rather fighting with it) and don't think it produces a much better image unless you happen to be regularly shooting in coal mines.
        Pudgy bearded camera guy
        http://mcbob.tv

Comment

Don't believe everything you read on the Interwebz, people. That goes double for anything you read at EOSHD.

Remember, even a broken clock is right twice a day, but that doesn't mean you should trust it.
          Stephen Mick
          Owner/Creative Director
          Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Comment

Originally posted by mcbob View Post
            In the meantime, the AF100 is still a delightful camera with nothing nearly as flexible or versatile in its price range currently or recently announced. Yes, I know about the FS100 (which is now almost half-over the cost of the AF)... I just rather hated using it (or rather fighting with it) and don't think it produces a much better image unless you happen to be regularly shooting in coal mines.
            +1 Coal mines! Now that's funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Jan_Crittenden View Post
              I actually asked the gentleman at EOSHD to please remove the references to the AF100 not being continued, and he basically defended his right to spread rumor and innuendo. He totally missed the AVC-ultra 4K camera so we did show a new codec and we did show a camera to go with it, in fact we also showed the HPX600 which will be totally upgradable to the new codec.

Lastly the AF100 is not going away, it is still very viablle and we continue to sell them.

Best regards,

jan
              I really hate EOSHD. andrew reid is a real prick

Comment

Originally posted by dcloud View Post
                I really hate EOSHD. andrew reid is a real prick
                +2

Comment

Working...
                X