Audio Recording Levels - Auto / Manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Recording Levels - Auto / Manual?

Hi all, just a quick question regarding audio on the AF102. I've only had mine for a couple weeks and so forgive me for this potentially silly question.

On my old Z1, I had the option of switching the XLR input to either Auto or Manual. Auto was handy on occasion.

I've not found an Auto input level on the AF100 - the input levels seem to always be a Manual adjustment. Am I missing something?

It's a little different on the AF100 .. the MIC ALC setting is a limiter that tries to keep the signal from clipping.
    It works in conjunction with the volume controls.

jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I thought as much. I was shooting a live event recently and there was a band down one end of a hall. I was using a ME66 and everytime I faced the band, the audio levels would peak out so I had to reduce the input, so much so that a couple times I reduced so low that it cut the audio altogether. Then of course I had to readjust the input levels when I had my back to the band. The 'auto' setting on the old Z1 was handy in these situations because the signal was always kept at a decent level and never allowed to distort.

Comment

The AF100 doesn't shine in the audio department. My preference is to use a field recorder. But if we don't
        we front end with PSC's or SoundDevices.... Much more control

Comment

Working...
        X