No announcement yet.

Would appreciate rig photos from DOCUMENTARY shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you elaborate a bit more on the edelkrone monitor holder? I've been eying it as a replacement to an articulating arm. How does it compare to that?

I've also been interested in that Ultralight arm as well, do you have any more info about it, i.e. how it compares to a regular articulating arm?
    Eidolon Films
    The Guardians - Coming in 2018

Comment

Erik (or anatusa), could you share your thoughts on the Tilta follow focus? And in particular - how well does it work with your 85mm CP.2?

Cheers
      DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
      www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by EidolonFilms View Post
        Can you elaborate a bit more on the edelkrone monitor holder? I've been eying it as a replacement to an articulating arm. How does it compare to that?

I've also been interested in that Ultralight arm as well, do you have any more info about it, i.e. how it compares to a regular articulating arm?
        Hers's a link to Ultralights website.
        http://ulcs.com/
        I have done a bit of underwater photography as a hobby, and while I've never used their gear myself I know they're pretty popular with uw photographers.

Comment

I own the edelkrone monitor holder and like it. Looks like the new Solid Camera monitor arm is perhaps a bit better but is it $350 better?

Comment

After a lot of years shooting documentaries I have found that a camera, in order to be convenient, 1) must not have to be assembled and disassembled every time you move- 2) must be able to be set on a flat surface- 3) must allow you to lean back against a wall or high backed chair- 4) must be as small and light as possible - 5) must go on a tripod without disassembly.

The photo attached uses a base that I made from a RedRock cheese plate and two of their rod blocks, grip and bracket from an Aaton (although Olaf here makes something similar - and cheaper), a Z-Finder from Zacuto mounted on a bracket that I made from aluminum available at any hardware store. The shoulder mount, attached to the rear of the matte box base, is cut from an old Birns & Sawyer shoulder mount that I had in a junk box, but could easily be made from aluminum too. I generally use the stock batterys (small and light), but can mount an Anton Bauer on the back of the shoulder bracket if need be.

Since there is no decent zoom available, I carry a pouch with 3 lenses - a Leicaflex 50 Summicron, a Canon FD 20mm and FD 100mm - so with the one shown on the camera (a 35mm f2.8 Elmarit) i can cover most everything. I have a larger bag with an Angenieux 45-90 zoom, a 135mm Elmarit (both Leica), a 28-85mm Vivitar (FD mt), a Zuiko 14-54mm and an old 300mm f8 mirror lens, but that stays in the van.

This setup is very light and portable (a relief after years with 16mm, BetaCam - and an HPX500, which I still have). I can shoot while walking through doors and getting into a car without banging and embarrassing myself.

Forgot to mention, the Velcro plate on the side (where the handle has never been) mounts a wireless receiver.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Mac; 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM. Reason: Forgot

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
              I carry a pouch with 3 lenses -
              Mac, what kind of pouch do you use? When I do run and gun, I keep 2 lenses (and a third on cam) in a camping/hiking fanny pack, but it's less than ideal. thanks

Comment

hey mac ! could u show how did u attach the shoulder peace to the bottom of the cam?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                  After a lot of years shooting documentaries I have found that a camera, in order to be convenient, 1) must not have to be assembled and disassembled every time you move- 2) must be able to be set on a flat surface- 3) must allow you to lean back against a wall or high backed chair- 4) must be as small and light as possible - 5) must go on a tripod without disassembly. .......
                  Your solution looks just about perfect. Exactly what I was going for in my build, but far more svelte.
                  Pudgy bearded camera guy
                  http://mcbob.tv

Comment

Pouch.jpgThe "pouch" is a small ProMaster camera bag that has a shoulder strap and a belt.. not perfect, but holds 3 lenses and a battery.

Comment

The shoulder plate attaches by using a Libec plate and shaved Bogen slider (I don't have a Bogen tripod, but the shaved slider is available from RedRock too - or used to be) - I "narrowed" the slider with the aluminum shim (that you can see in back) to fit the Libec plate.... I can either remove the shoulder mount to put on a tripod, or I can mount another plate on the bottom of the slider - I usually just remove it and hang it from the bag.

By the way, nothing against Zacuto, their stuff is great, but this is all very cheap - a lot can be done with a hacksaw, file and hand drill...
                      Attached Files

Comment

thanks mac!

Comment

Damn, just went to buy it and now out of stock!
                          Eidolon Films
                          The Guardians - Coming in 2018

Comment

I like the wooden handle with tally. I keep saying I'm getting one from Olof but just haven't got to it.
                            YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/user/ErikNaso
                            VIMEO: http://www.vimeo.com/eriknaso
                            BLOG: www.eriknaso.com
                            TWITTER: eriknaso https://twitter.com/ErikNaso?lang=en

Comment

Thanks Mac. Your photo of your rig is more what I had in mind. I'm often thrown into the passenger seat of a car to shoot the driver in documentaries and cop shows.
                              Last edited by nedcam; 05-07-2012, 05:54 PM. Reason: new thought
                              Ned Miller
                              Chicago-based Freelance Videographer
                              www.nedmiller.com

Comment

Mac, that looks very compact.

I missed how you are powering up the EVF. Also it looks as though you might have a record button on the Olaf handle. How is that cabled. A shot revealing where the cables are connected would be helpful.

That looks like a very sensible setup for doc work. My rig is turning into a Frankenrig.
                                www.markwelch.tv
                                AF-100, CPM Sidewinder shoulder mount, Nikon 50mm, 35-70 f.2.8, Nikon 50-300 f4, Lumix 20 mm f1.7, 14-140 f4, Lectrosonics, Sound Devices Pix 240, Sound Devices MixPre, Arri lighting, Cobra dolly.

Comment

Working...
                                X