Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dregenthal
    replied
    I'm looking forward to the BMD camera (and I have no plans to part company with my AF-100).
    Okay, some thoughtful points have been made but (for me), at the price point & what you get for the money, it's pretty much a no-brainer . . . I'm willing to risk a little bit.
    I mean, if the camera doesn't work I'll send it back for a refund.
    No XLR's ? Gee whiz, I'm not planning on doing any silent features so I guess I'll just have to figure something out.
    Internal battery? I'll probably just plug in my Tekeon 3450 between takes . . . like I did ALL DAY Saturday with the Shuttle2 on my AF-100.
    I understand their rationale on lens mounts and at least I won't have to send out a search party for candidates.
    Funny . . . my guess, if you painted it black and wrote Canon MK??? on the side people would be willing to pay 2-3 times the price.
    Obviously not a camera for all seasons but I have little doubt I'll find a way to make my money back in short order.
    P.S. on helicopter video . . . check out some of the footage on GOPRO's website, some of those shots are so sick!
    Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Bucknfl
    replied
    In my opinion resolution is overated. If your shooting for broadcast or the internet its really hard to see any difference between something shot at 4k vs 1080.

Leave a comment:

• jmarkham
    replied
    It's called the miracle of FPGA's .. but, be advised that new features can be added as long as the
    FPGA's can handle it. Once you've saturated the chip(s) .. you're pretty much SOL.

jeff

Leave a comment:

• Erik Naso
    replied
    They ALL can learn from that.

Leave a comment:

• Kenny_G
    replied
    Originally posted by Erik Naso View Post
    From what I understand the BMD camera is software upgradable. This makes adding feature and improving the camera easy for the user. We shall see.
    Yeah, panasonic can learn from that.

Leave a comment:

• Erik Naso
    replied
    From what I understand the BMD camera is software upgradable. This makes adding features and improving the camera easy for the user. We shall see.
    Last edited by Erik Naso; 04-25-2012, 06:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Letzring
    replied
    The BMCC is an intriquing little package, but, as others (and I) have pointed out, this is the very first camera BMD has ever made. It would almost be a miracle if they got everything right the first time. The price of admission is low enough that most of us can throw caution to the wind, but frankly, as someone who makes a living with a camera, I don't think I am going to sell the AF100 until after I've had the BMC a month or two.

The AF100 is a rock solid reliable location camera. I have used it in rain, snow and all day long sub zero temperatures (sub zero fahrenheit) without a hiccup. I often have a hard time understanding what kind of filmmakers inhabit this forum, but about 90% of the time I am working OMB, and thats ok with the AF100. I have a pretty slick 2 camera interview setup using an AF100 and a GH2 that I'm completely comfortable doing OMB, something that was pretty much impossible back when I was using Sony HDcams. I would not recommend the GH2 for anything where the camera is moving with any speed (although I've seen some pretty nice RPV footage from GH2s), but AF100 out of a fixed wing or helicopter at 48 or 60p is sweet.

Although I am on a "preorder list" it stretches my sense of reality to participate in the new BMCuser forum; it should really be called the BMCpreuser forum or perhaps the BMCpreorder forum, evidently a place to argue about the speculative specs of a future camera. Almost a relativistic time-travel sort of thing, where folks can post preorder video samples from their preodered cameras.
    Last edited by Letzring; 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HVXguy
    replied
    Originally posted by KyleProhaska View Post
    If Panasonic could put GH2 performance into an AF100 body I would be all over that action at a moments notice.
    Heh, I have 2 GH2's - I had the AF100 on order but cancelled it when I saw the image quality coming out of the GH2.....
    Sure if you need to record audio then it can be a pain but the image quality is worth it.....

Pana really needs to blend these cameras together and make the GH-200.....

And if they went the way of Black Magic......

Leave a comment:

• Kenny_G
    replied
    I saw the interview with Jan; no comment!

Leave a comment:

• groveChuck
    replied
    I'm late here too (been busy working, shooting my AF100 and editing, and attending funerals).
    But it's kinda funny how the OP made his decision to buy the AF100 early on page 4 and here on page 8 the debate continues...

Even though he already made the plunge, my thoughts were/are (and partly applicable to the GH2):

If you're coming out from still photography, then you know RAW. The BM is RAW- do you want to spend time dialing in your look in post, or get it close in camera, then tweak in post?
    Do you have the computer power to work with RAW?
    Are you prepared for RAW storage?
    You're a one man band? Getting sound (natural and interview) is easier on the AF100.
    Architectural photography? Perhaps safest on the AF100 as far as moire/aliasing?
    Lenses- almost anything.
    Batteries- as pointed out previously, all day on a couple.
    SD cards- cheap. Again, like someone else stated before, I use Panasonic Gold, Class 10. Never a problem.

I use my AF100 for paid gigs several days a week, and will use it for several years more.
    Might I get a second, better camera in a couple of years? (wait, a third camera, I still have and use my HPX170) Maybe, but I'd still keep the AF100 as long as it makes me money.
    It works for me, it works for my projects, it works for my clients.

Is it the perfect camera? No, but then there is no perfect camera.
    And even the camera that is close to perfect, is only close briefly, then the next/best comes out.
    Such is the pace of technology these days.
    Something about chasing the law of diminishing returns applies here...

Just my 2$ (I'm working on writing shorter)...

Leave a comment:

• Kenny_G
    replied
    At the moment the BM is the new kid on the Block. Looks much better than the AF100, but time will tell. The weakness of the AF100 is the picture sharpness, the relative low bit rate and the way the clipping of the highlights is corrected. For the rest it is a very good camera, but one buys a camera for the picture quality or not? The GH2 is my new buy to be used in an Octo MicroKopter for aerial shots. it is the camera to use for that purpose - high bit rate and very sharp picture; of course with the hack in place.

Leave a comment:

• Kindredmachine
    replied
    FYI: I'm a little late to the party here (just got back in town) but I played with the Blackmagic cam for a bit and in it's current state, it's more of a DSLR than a true video camera. It's like ocmparing a GH2 to an AF100. For example, the Blackmagic currently does not offer any XLR audio inputs or live audio monitoring while filming. It looks a great little camera and I'm exciting to get one in my hands but I still don't believe it will be replacing the aF100 anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• Boon
    replied
    A much easier decision for me as I'm more of a post guy.
    I was about to order the Davinci Resolve and Ultra Scope, and now I can also have the BMC at a lower price. Sweet!

Leave a comment:

• dcloud
    replied
    Originally posted by jmarkham View Post
    Seems kind of premature to be making such a trade-off ..
    ill just wait how things turns out. for now i ll keep it and squeeze everything out of it

Leave a comment:

• jmarkham
    replied
    Originally posted by dcloud View Post
    tell me, should i sell my af100 or keep it along with the BMC?
    I love the af100 when it comes to its flexibility (everything you said) but i wouldnt mind turning it to cash either :\
    Seems kind of premature to be making such a trade-off ..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X