No announcement yet.

New camera April 5th?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping my eye on the D800, with its GORGEOUS filmic look - and with the rumored moiré filter coming, coupled with its clean HDMI out and audio controls, it looks mighty sweet! (And I've always been a "DSLR naysayer").

Wish Nikon would take that nice sensor and put it in a a serious video camera. But alas, they're not in that business...
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I.N.A.T.E. - I.A.T.S.

Comment

Yes, what I fear is a more upmarket response from Panasonic. But for me a revised af-100 with lets say a gh3 sensor (hopefully not more pixel but better DR and ISO and better) at the current price of the AF-100 (3.5 to 4k) with a better codec or at least clean uncompressed out-put would be nice. I can dream of 10 bit but I would even settle for good implementation of 8 bit if the price is very competitive.

I am getting a Nikon D800. This is just Nikon second generation DSLR. If it did not have some moire/aliasing (it is a bit difficult with a 36 megapixel sensor even if seems less than the previous Canon) it would be putting a new bar on price/quality ratio for image quality. Look at the two example below shot with people that had some experience with video dslr that were invited by Nikon to test it(Many Nikonnians are new to video and you can see some horrible videos). The DR is very very good (best result for a photo camera with 14.4 stop of DR at DXOmark, it seems that part of it has migrated to the video side) and rolling shutter is very low. The overall image is very very filmic. Perhaps with moirer filter rummored to be in development this camera would be insane with its uncompressed hdmi out. I don't want to derail this threat but just showing why Panasonic has to move its bottom because the competition is going to get harder and harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R View Post
        Yeah, I'm definitely keeping my eye on the D800, with its GORGEOUS filmic look - and with the rumored moiré filter coming, coupled with its clean HDMI out and audio controls, it looks mighty sweet! (And I've always been a "DSLR naysayer").

Wish Nikon would take that nice sensor and put it in a a serious video camera. But alas, they're not in that business...
        Yes that would be very nice, but I don't think we will see some dedicated video camera. We could perhaps see some specialized video version of some of their DSLR model. Perhaps a model with a stronger olpf or more pixel sampling with less line skipping or a burst 4 k or slow motion setting. I was always advocating, what we see Sony is doing with its burst mode in the FS-700.

But it does not need to be only for slow motion, it can also be for a short 2 min 4k or even 2.35 anamorphic 2500x1080p version. Something just for the people who do narrative and want/need the best image quality even for a short time. 1080p is enough for every other thing. I guess many thing will depend enormously on the impact/sales of the video market will do to the next series of Nikon. The more it impacts their bottom line the more they will invest in it.

Comment

heres some teases from panasonic
          http://panasonicprovideo.tumblr.com/.../ready-for-nab
          This year we have a full lineup of things we want to show, including:
          • A new visual world created by the new AVC-Ultra platform
          • Panasonic jumping in to the world of ________
          • Further evolution in P2 cards!
          • What the next generation of cameras will look like
          cinema 4k?

Comment

A P2 AF camera. That's all I want. That's all I've ever wanted. I hate external recorders.
            Pudgy bearded camera guy
            http://mcbob.tv

Comment

Thats probably what we will get. And based on the hint, it looks like its gonna be more than just one camera announced.

Comment

Panasonic is definitely jumping into 4K whole hog.

Comment

Rumours circling the net about 4K, AVC Ultra, 12 bit, 4:4:4 at 450Mbit

Sounds ok!
                  stylecreative.net - Designer/Video/Music bloke

Comment

If thats true, it supports the 'further evolution of p2' part. How do you store data that big?

Comment

Originally posted by dcloud View Post
                      heres some teases from panasonic
                      http://panasonicprovideo.tumblr.com/.../ready-for-nab

cinema 4k?
                      Aerosol Cheese Products?

Seriously, why bother putting that out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Birch View Post
                        Rumours circling the net about 4K, AVC Ultra, 12 bit, 4:4:4 at 450Mbit

Sounds ok!
                        WOW. If true, I have two questions:

1) What's the price for that?

2) What's the workflow for that?
                        -----------------------------------------------------
                        I.N.A.T.E. - I.A.T.S.

Comment

Pure speculation, but I'd imagine in the C300, F3, Scarlet bracket.
                          stylecreative.net - Designer/Video/Music bloke

Comment

Working...
                          X