Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pany m4/3 25mm f/1.4 & focus controller

Hey guys!

I am so happy getting my new m4/3 Lens Panasonic 25 mm F/1.4! I bought kind of new from a local guy (he got it free as a bonus as he bought several very expansive lenses for red), so it was easy to make a deal with him , and i got it cheap!

Anyway i would like to confirm that - the lens is very SILENT !!! i cant hear iris , auto focus is also works with my Pany af101 - slow, but i would not tell its too slow, sometimes its focus like right away, but sometimes 1-2 sec..... still can be used in many situations! also very silent auto focus, the only noise it makes if u do push auto focus.....,-
    what kind of sucks a little is that the iris change is slow - its not too slow it takes less then a sec to respond, but its does not respond right away as all my previous lenses (oly 14-54mm, sigma 18-50mm, sigma 30mm, pany 14-140) .... but i am maybe mistaken here as i used to noise on iris changes and here i dont hear any noises......so maybe i just fill this way..... i need to play more with it....

very sharp lens! DOES work with my Manfrotto 521pfi !!!! - and it works just GREAT! focus respond with out any delays!!! smooth as butter! unbelievably useful! just love it!
    but there are things that i did not like while used my manfrotto 521pfi:
    - i dont like what happens to iris - if i put iris on manfrotto in manual mode - i cant open iris more then F/1.8 ! why is that? guys if anyone knows anything plz post some info how to avoid it!?
    - it looks like changing iris from manfrotto sometimes can be just a little but with noise(most of the time still no noise)
    - in auto iris mode - it will be f/1.4, but will change iris automatically as soon the light changes a little, still u can change it back to 1.4 (but only if light allows it), and i WAS NOT able to close iris more then it allows(it depends on the light ammount)

is there a way to turn iris control off totally on that manfrotto?

Which firmware do you have- I also have the 521pfi and 25mm f/1.4, but manual focus does not work. I think it's because I have not updated to 1.17
    azvideoworks.com

Comment

nope, as far as i remember my pany25mm worked with my manfrotto and on older version 1.15 of my af 101 and on newer current version 1.17! i did not buy it right away, i played with it, but only after that like in a week i updated soft ......

its maybe a stupid question, but did u stick the cable in camcorder completely? when i put it in for the 1st time it kind of stiff and i did not put it in all the way! make sure its all inside, u should not see any metal part.
      u probably noticed that there is a switch between manual and auto focus, should be manual......

Comment

got it tow work- the focus switches on my 521pfi were stuck. Working with the controller's "hard stops" is tricky- but otherwise pretty handy
        azvideoworks.com

Comment

i dont think there are hard stops on 521pfi....

anyone knows how to get rid of the iris control at all? i dont like getting f/1.8 instead of the f/1.4 in manual mode...

Comment

Originally posted by anatusa View Post
            i dont think there are hard stops on 521pfi....

anyone knows how to get rid of the iris control at all? i dont like getting f/1.8 instead of the f/1.4 in manual mode...
            Hey, i got the 521pfi the other day & was kinda frustrated by that too. I used to use the Bebob Foxi, which also did that, but that was only by f0.2, so it didn't make as much difference. I'm gonna try & open it up and see if there's anything i can adjust. Or failing that, i'll use an extension cable for it,vwhich has one of the wires snipped - to hopefully stop the iris control from being activated.

I'll report back on my findings...

Comment

So yeah, i just tried it & it worked exactly as i thought. I just used an old stereo 3.5mm male to male jack to connect the 521pfi with & then snipped one of the two cables, and now the iris control is no longer active (making it able to go to full aperture again), but the focus control still works perfectly. I'll probably make up a custom cable, which only has one connection (although obviously i'll just try a basic mono cable first, to see if that does the same thing.

P.S - i may have just been lucky that i snipped the correct cable, as i'm guessing if i'd have cut the other cable, then the focus function would've been deactivated instead.

Comment

could you show an image of what u did ? as i understood u took away an original manfrotto cable and just used an old sterio cable instead...... does it meter what cable to cut on a stereo one?

Comment

btw - i just tried if the HARD STOPS would work ..... and was surprised it does repeatedly works! the rotation wheel has a white "disc" at the rear part of it. So tried and put the 2 marks on it with my pencil - 1st mark for the focus of the front object and 2nd mark for the focus of the rear object! and it worked out perfectly , i did try it several times rotated focus back and forward ......... wow

i also tried to plug the ff out and then connected it again, same result the old marks do work!

Comment

Working...
                  X