I sold my AF100 and I feel fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sold my AF100 and I feel fine

I thought and thought on this and came to the realization that I had more negative issues with the camera than positive. When there are more cons than pros, it is time to sell and get into something that works better. Back in April of 2011 I sold my HVX170 and P2 cards at what I thought was a great deal for the buyer and a less than great deal for me. At the time I was shooting more and more with my Canon 60D and I looked to the AF100 since it “fixed” several problems of DSLRs.

I bought the camera along with an M4/3 to Nikon adapter since I own several old Nikon primes. That got me going but I needed a zoom lens. I settled on a used but nice Olympus 14-54 f2.8 – 3.5 lens. Far from perfect but it suited my needs. And, it was relatively fast. I used it as a variable prime along with my Nikons.

After using the camera for a few months, I had such a hard time with a few of its problems that I could not get past them. The biggies are:

Handling of highlights – horible. This alone is a deal breaker for me. I think this should be tweaked and fixed in a firmware update. However, I seriously doubt a firmware update would be available for the current AF100. Panasonic will fix it and save it for a later release of the camera. Those of us with the first gen AF100 are out of luck.

No auto gain feature. This is so simple yet I would use it all the time since I often shoot alone and cannot hold the camera while opening up a lens iris as I walk from outdoors to indoors. It is a common and rudimentary feature on the DSLRs.

No quality zoom lens. I think Panasonic should have had Leica design a good 5X zoom lens (14-70 would have been awesome!) that works with the AF100 body and sold it as an add-on. Lots of us AF shooters would buy it. This camera desperately needs a nice, fast, parfocal zoom lens – more of a cinema zoom than a still zoom – that is not a beast, of manageable size and weight. I think Panasonic could have partnered with Leica to design and build a lens, it is already being done on other Panasonic cameras.

As for the exteriors of the camera:

I don’t like the cheap feel of it. The viewfinder esspecially, is very light and cheap. The fittings inside make noises as the camera is pitched and moved. I think Panasonic should have made the entire body out of metal. I would pay an additional price for this. I seriously doubt it would increase the cost that much. Panasonic is looking to cut corners on quality – increasing the bottom line.

I really liked the flip out LCD of the HPX170, that it could easily be opened with a single finger with little effort. I noticed in photos of pre production AF100s that there was a small indention at the latch of the LCD then it was removed on the production version. The LCD on the HPX170 also allows it to be opened up past 90 degrees – a great feature - not on the Af100 though. The 170 LCD was a step-up, or evolution of the HVX200 LCD. Panasonic improved the LCD on the 170. On the AF100, Panasonic went backwards. (puposefully altered on this model to step-up a AF100”A” to purpertuate camera sales)

I don’t like that the batteries were changed and did not match the same batteries used in the DVX100, HVX200, HPX170, etc. I had several of those batteries and it would have been great to use them on the AF100. (puposefully changed on this model to increase profits, causing buyers to invest in new batteries)

The handgrip is not comfortable and it is cheap. It should have been an integral part of the camera body and had the controls laid out in the usual places.

I think the dual SD slots are great but what use are they if you can’t swap SD cards out during recording? (puposefully not included on this model as to not compete with P2)

Also, only having three available gain selections is bad. There are many times I need 1000 ISO or higher then I need 200 ISO on the next shot and several other ISOs in-between. In addition to an auto gain, I think more gain selections should be available through the USER buttons.

I miss the scene file dial from my other Panasonic cameras. I change around from time to time and the scene file dial was great to just click over instead of going through the menu. At first I thought this would not be a big deal but as I worked with the camera I missed it.

The AF100 should have the magnify feature for critical focus. Focus in red is nice but if I had to choose between red or magnify, I will always take magnify, along with normal peaking. The thing is though, it is easy to do both. (puposefully not included on this model to step-up a AF100”A” to purpertuate camera sales)

I know this camera or any other camera will never be perfect. As for my shooting style, to move fast and earn a living I need a camera that has a good zoom lens, has a few key auto features and has an image that will hold up. I am well aware that not every shooter wants to work that way nor needs to. But I work fast and alone 95% of the time. I shoot doc based content.

My needs require a camera like an EX1. I can supliment with my DSLR when there is more time and resources available.

Do I hate the AF100? Well, yes I do and no I don't. I was able to get great images from it but in the end I just could not get spot on to a look that "I" really liked. The picture always looked plastic and overly digital. In the future if Panasonic addresses my and other issues then improves the camera I will come back around and consider it. But, it would have to be A LOT better and use the AVC Intra codec, with P2 cards for me to seriously take a look.
    www.dustbowlfilms.com
    www.deathoftheoldwest.com

So if you don't mind me asking, what camera are you replacing the AF100 with which addresses these issues for you?

Comment

So... in a nutshell.... you bought the wrong tool for the work you do.
      Better research next time you purchase will go a long way.

I love my AF100 & HMC150.

Happy New Year!

sigpic

www.zazacast.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaCast View Post

Happy New Year!
        +1

...and GH2
        Lots of toys... that I barely know how to turn on

Comment

The AF100 was never really a successor to the DVX/HVX/HPX series, so why would you expect the batteries to carry over?
          I shoot everything on 8mm tape. BALLER STATUS

Comment

Panasonic has only made two battery systems in the last eight years (at least). DVX/HVX/HPX all use the same battery, and the AVCCAM cameras all use the same battery.

Anyway, yeah -- if the OP didn't like it, it's best to sell and move on, and that's the great thing about this time of internet technology, ebay and the DVXUser marketplace make it pretty easy to move gear.

From my own perspective, I think the AF100 is a great little camera and I just bought another one a couple of weeks ago. Are there things that could be improved? Sure, but at the price point I consider it pretty much a raging steal considering all it gives you, all the hassle it saves you from, and how great the footage looks.
            The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaCast View Post

Happy New Year!
              I explained I was using my DSLR more and more for my work and thought the AF would be better.
              www.dustbowlfilms.com

Comment

I'm just expressing MY feeling about the camera and why I disliked it more than I liked it. You guys act like I am directly insulting you and your work. The AF is just a machine. I'm not mad at Panasonic nor do I blame them for my dislike of the camera. And, I do plenty of research but this time it didn't work out. If what I posted can serve to help make the camera better then I'm glad I did it.
                www.dustbowlfilms.com

Comment

Originally posted by DustBowl View Post
                  I explained I was using my DSLR more and more for my work and thought the AF would be better.
                  ...and for you it wasn't. You probably should have read the 100's (1000's) of posts about the camera and rented one to try before buying it.
                  This is clearly not the camera for your type of work...that's all I'm saying.

Should be very easy to sell and find the right tool....just research a little deeper BEFORE purchasing next time to avoid the hassle.

sigpic

www.zazacast.com

Comment

I'm just not going along with the highlight handling of the AF100. I have not had this problem as others have reported. Careful exposing of highlights and I find the highlights to be just fine. I also tend to like the M4/3 format. Maybe on the wide angle side of shooting it's a bit different, but how much work depends on wide angle? I go by a general rule of "use the longest focal length you can". Plus, there are a couple wides out there that work just fine (oly 12.. and the 7-14 lumix). Then, the plain truth is there is NO perfect camera. I'm still very pleased with the AF100, especially when you consider the price point.

Sounds like the OP could use a 1/3 sensor and maybe a gh2 for shallow DOF shots if needed.

Comment

I cant disagree with the points you have raised, but I think when driven properly the images produced by the AF100 are stunning, yes I'v looked at the new panasonic the 250 and the canon XF305 and they are great run and gun cameras, but the shallow depth of field obtainable for those few shots that require it are addictive.
                      Everything involving the pig is above board.

Comment

Originally posted by DustBowl View Post
                        In that realm the the AF100 beats the pants off of the DSLRS in most every way.
                        Matt Gottshalk
                        Director of Production
                        BPI.tv

Comment

I think the AF100 does just fine on the wide (as well as the long) end. My style tends to include working close to my subjects with modest wide angle lenses, although I try to avoid going so wide that faces are unnaturally distorted. The 14-140mm used in the sub-20mm range is a good start, and if I need to go wider, I have a Canon 10-22mm I can use with the Redrock adapter. I'd like to have the Lumix 7-14mm someday, but there are a few things above it on my wish list. A prime at around 15mm at f/2 or better would be nice as well.

- Greg

Comment

definitely sounds like you were doing ENG style event coverage and what not. Better research would have shown that this camera CAN be used for that but is not the best for it. It's really for cinema style, planned setups. Music Videos, indie films, commercials, anything where you can setup and control. Don't get me wrong I use it for live events now too, but it's not what the AF100 is designed to do best. I still own my HVX200 for live events and sports. It would have been best to keep your other camera and get this as well.

I've learned over the years that there is no "do-it-all" camera and I'd rather own 2 cameras that do 2 different jobs very well, that one camera that does everything "just OK" - besides, after its all said and done (tripods, stabilizers, mounts, carrying cases, lights, memory card, editing computer, software, etc.) a 2nd camera (even a used HVX200 or something) is super cheap. You could get a used $1500 HVX200 kit or something similiar and own 2 cameras.

Comment

If you know how to light the highlight's for this camera are no problem, at all.
                              Paul
                              Lizardlandvideo.com
                              Latexfilmservice.com
                              Camera and Grip Electric Rentals in Dallas and Shreveport
                              Phoenix Video Productions

Comment

Working...
                              X