cooke 20-100 f3.1 and the like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cooke 20-100 f3.1 and the like

With a PL mount will this cine lens be 40-200 f5 on the AF100?

Is this typical for all cine 35 lenses when converted to PL mount?

Originally posted by Orlando McNulty View Post
    With a PL mount will this cine lens be 40-200 f5 on the AF100?Is this typical for all cine 35 lenses when converted to PL mount?
    I have one of these lenses and use it frequently with my AF 100. I love the lens very much especially for its close focus @ 100mm which is something like 2 feet 3 inches. Keep in mind this ia lens designed to cover a 35 mm motion picture film frame not a 35mm still frame . The motion picture frame is HALF the size of the still frame and just a little larger than the AF sensor, so the 20 mm of this lens might be more like a 22 or 23 mm on the AF but now where near a 40. You'll need a pl mount for the AF with adjustable flange focal distance to mount one of these lenses and get it set up properly so focus tracks thoughtthe full range of the zoom. The letus pl adapter is my choice at this point since the flange focal adjustment does not use shims.You"ll also need some serious support/rods to use this lens. I use the O'Connor universal baseplate with a 52 mm height mounted to an ARRI sliding base plate with 15 mm rods supporting the front of the lens. This lens is big and weighty but certainly a great option . Don't expect to be running and gunning too much with it however.I kinda hate that peoples thinking has been polluted by the canon 5d full frame cameras. The only motion picture cama that has a frame size similar to the canon 5d is a vista vision camera which is used primarily for VFX background plates and not for sound sync motion picture work.

Comment

With a PL mount will this cine lens be 40-200 f5 on the AF100?
      Of course not. It'll be a 20-100 f/3.1, but with a very slightly tighter field of view. It'll still be 20mm on the wide, but the AF100 sees just a little bit less than a movie camera does. It'll be about a 1.18x crop, so if you want to think of it in terms of what it would look like on a 35mm movie camera, it'd be about equivalent to 24-118 at t/3.1.

Is this typical for all cine 35 lenses when converted to PL mount?
      All cinema lenses are made to cover the 35mm (or Super 35mm) cinema frame, which is, roughly speaking, half the size of the stills camera frame. The AF100's sensor is very nearly cinema-sized, so you don't really have to sweat crop factors much if at all when talking about cinema glass.
      The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

I love the lens very much especially for its close focus @ 100mm which is something like 2 feet 3 inches.
        actually 100mm is more like 4 inches
        www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

Mark was referencing that when you're fully zoomed in to 100mm on the lens, that it can focus fairly closely, down to about 27".
          The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
            Mark was referencing that when you're fully zoomed in to 100mm on the lens, that it can focus fairly closely, down to about 27".
            I am still celebrating Xmas so my parsing is producing variable results.
            www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

Also keep in mind that this lens is huge and will need support.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter View Post
                actually 100mm is more like 4 inches
                From the front element, yes? ;)

If that was the cf distance from film plane, I'd love it! I've always wanted a macro shot of say, the rear optical element grouping inside the lens. ;)

i kid, i kid.
                Last edited by Ryan Patrick O'Hara; 12-26-2011, 12:17 PM.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

Comment

thanks yeah.

I think I should have specified what I was really asking... I read on an ebay listing for this lens, which seems to have been taken down, that when converted to PL mount the focal length becomes 40-200 and all the way open it is f5... I was confused about this and am now chalking it up to misinformation on behalf of the ebayer, as it seems it has been taken down. You have all confirmed what I originally though, and reinstated my desire to find one of these bad boys. Thank you.

Do you think it would be impossible to use one of these on a shoulder rig with a ff?

Comment

Impossible? No. Impractical? Yes.
                    The Cooke 20-100 is very long and very heavy.
                    I think there is a pic of it mounted to my AF100 on my website to give you an idea of its size.
                    It's still a 20-100 no matter which mount is used, and it's f2.8 / T3.1.

Comment

When I say very heavy, of course there are heavier lenses out there. But the 20-100 weighs almost 12 pounds.

Comment

thanks yeah. I think I should have specified what I was really asking... I read on an ebay listing for this lens, which seems to have been taken down, that when converted to PL mount the focal length becomes 40-200 and all the way open it is f5... I was confused about this and am now chalking it up to misinformation on behalf of the ebayer, as it seems it has been taken down. You have all confirmed what I originally though, and reinstated my desire to find one of these bad boys. Thank you.Do you think it would be impossible to use one of these on a shoulder rig with a ff?
                        Cooke 20-100 on an AF or anything else is insanely stupid as a hand held shoulder rig. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but ii done it would be really stupid.It's tripod only for me with this lens.

Comment

I have both an AF and a Cooke 20-100. This lens is huge. Easily 4 to 6 times the weight of the camera. I have only tried mounting it once. It is really like mounting the camera to the lens.
                          Paul
                          Lizardlandvideo.com
                          Latexfilmservice.com
                          Camera and Grip Electric Rentals in Dallas and Shreveport
                          Phoenix Video Productions

Comment

Working...
                          X