Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing AF100 Monday- Need Opinions on Budget (Around $8k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing AF100 Monday- Need Opinions on Budget (Around $8k)

Hey everybody, I'm going to be purchasing the AF100 on Monday and needed some advice on the other items I decided to purchase with the rest of my budget. (Also, I am going to sell my DVX100a + case + 3 batteries, with around 60hrs. I haven't included this in the budget because I'm not sure what I could expect to get.)

First off, I was originally looking at the AF100 when it was still bundled with the 14-140, that special isn't offered at BH, BUT it is still offered at Adorama, so I am probably going to do that. I know they are a reputable seller, but is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

I am going to be shooting in controlled environments, mostly narrative work with some small commercials. I already have a tripod- a manfrotto 501, so I definitely need to get a better tripod, but for now I am going to stick with it until next October when I will be filming things other than just shorts of my own. I also already have my audio needs covered.

What I plan on buying:
    3 32gb Kingston Cards
    2 VW-BGG6 Batteries
    Pearstone Pro Case

Lenses:
    Tokina 11-16
    Olympus 14-54
    Voigtlander 25mm
    + the 14-140 that comes with the camera

Purchasing those three extra lenses pretty much takes up my budget. Is it un-wise to purchase the lenses and not other accessories? I need lights, an external monitor, rail/baseplate, follow focus, shoulder mount, etc.

I was thinking that those other items can wait, but the lenses are incredibly important. However, lighting might be equally important at this point. I will be able to purchase lights at the end of the year (or whatever I choose), so I might just purchase two of the lenses on a payment-plan, and use my cash on some lights from Cool Lights.

Any help would be super appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Or, get a lens adaptor and buy fully manual vintage lenses (which look and work great) and save a ton of money to put towards other gear, and when you have more money get newer more expensive lenses.

Guess it just depends on needs priority. If you are doing a lot of HH good luck without a rail mount/shoulder mount system. if you need lights... well, good luck getting footage to look good without lighting. You know your priorities best, so just throwing out the option to save $$ on lenses at this point.

Remember you can rent lenses, lights, mounts, monitors, etc. Decide what is most cost beneficial to NOT have to rent now, and what you can sustain on renting for a while.

Also, don't expect to get much out of your DVX. At all.

Comment

I have seen footage from some old Canon FD lenses that I really didn't like. I'm not sure what "vintage" lenses provide a clean look. I have a Vivitar 55-135mm, 2.8. Would that look fine? I'm not sure which older lenses to even consider to be honest. Or figure out which mount it is meant for?

I could wait to purchase the Voigtlander. But would the 14-140, the 11-16, and the 14-54 be ok to cover most of my bases? I will be shooting indoors for the most part, so I want to make sure the 2.8 is decent enough.

Also, is the 11-16 sold on BH different from the one that most talk about on here?
      Last edited by hatsoff2halford; 12-18-2011, 01:07 AM.

Comment

RE: vintage lenses, keep in mind that may have had to with the shooter, compression, or anything else. Good glass is good glass. I've seen a lot of phenomenal footage on vintage glass. I've also seen terrible footage on new lenses...

Comment

I'm about to sell my AF-100 kit if you are interested. Also have a Tokina 11-16mm, Nikon 17-50mm, Voigtlander 25mm, and Tokina 50-135mm I will be getting rid of as well. All in great condition. Lot's of other accessories as well.
          Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com
          Red Weapon 8K

Comment

I'd say spend every penny you can on lenses, everything else can come later. The 14-140 is not a great lens but it will give cover your bases. The Vogitlander is awesome, get that before anything else. The Tokina is apparently great, personally I use the Lumix 7-14 as it's sharp and the super wide is pretty useful. If you can, pick up another decent prime like a Zeiss ZF.2 50mm with adaptor, or wait a month or so and see what the new X lenses will be like. Also budget for the very best tripod you can, though I'm assuming you have that already if you're selling your DVX. Don't worry about vintage lenses, they can give superb results if you get the right one. I've had a lot of success with FD lenses in the past.
            www.juggernaut.tv

Comment

Try to get Panasonic or Sandisk cards. I have heard of too many sad stories on the Kingston. Do a search on this site for some of them.

Best luck to you
              Jan Crittenden Livingston
              Panasonic System Communications Corporation
              Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Comment

I've used my AF101 this last year with four Sandisk Extreme 16GB cards and so far have zero issues with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan_Crittenden View Post
                  Try to get Panasonic or Sandisk cards. I have heard of too many sad stories on the Kingston. Do a search on this site for some of them.

Best luck to you
                  I have been using Kingston UltimateX SDHC cards with my AF101 and 550D and have had no problems. Just make sure to get buy from a proper shop to avoid fakes.

Comment

You might consider 16GB cards instead of 32GB. You get about 80min of 1080 24p on a 16GB card. Better to not have all your eggs in one basket. I use Panasonic Class 10 gold cards with no issues.
                    YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/user/ErikNaso
                    VIMEO: http://www.vimeo.com/eriknaso
                    BLOG: www.eriknaso.com
                    TWITTER: eriknaso https://twitter.com/ErikNaso?lang=en

Comment

Better deal on the AF at Spec Comm.
                      http://www.marvgilbert.com/

Comment

I'd recommend buying my mint condition Olympus 14-35 f/2 Zuiko lens!.. Lol, seriously though, it was my go to lens for almost a year when I had my AF100. Fastest sharpest zoom out there for the AF.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...on!&highlight=

Also have a 2 month old Novoflex Nikon to M43 adapter in case you pick up any Nikon mount lenses. It can be used with lens that have or dont have a aperture ring.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...on!&highlight=
                        Last edited by Fotojorno; 12-18-2011, 09:33 AM. Reason: typo
                        http://www.billthomasphoto.com/
                        Sony F5 / F3/ EX-1 / Nikon D800 / BMPCC / Atomos Samurai / Zeiss & Nikon lenses

Comment

I am assuming you're getting the Oly II. I only have this zoom, almost never do I feel I need a wider lens. My Advice, get the Oly (remember it is a 2.8, but ramp to 3.5 when you zoom in), and see if you feel the need of a wider lens in addition to it (or until Panasonic comes out with cine lens, or should I say "HD" or "X", worth buying). The rest of my kit are primes.

Getting the 12.5mm hyper prime will probably be useful for a main lens for narrative work (in addition to the 25mm Voight).

But yes, in the end it all comes down to what you shoot. Get the basic stuff first, don't rush to buy what you don't know what you'll use...
                          AF100 - Contax Zeiss - Sachtler FSB8 T

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I've decided to go with the Tokina 11-16 and the 28-70. Found the right version of the 28-70 on craigslist locally, so I'm going to do that. This way, I can still afford the Voigt pretty easily.

Comment

If you want to save an extra bit on your budget, got my excellent condition af100 for sale in the marketplace.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2393063/
                              Actor
                              Musician
                              Filmmaker

Comment

Working...
                              X