Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ClipWrap equivalent for Windows wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ClipWrap equivalent for Windows wanted...

Exactly as I posted in Adobe Premiere Forum:

Anyone know of a program for Windows (7) that works like ClipWrap does on a Mac?

Clip Wrap (Divergent Media) them selves are not interested in porting it. I contacted them.

Whatever..I have a need for this.

For those that dont know..Clip Wrap does not transcode..it simply rewraps the header, flags etc....
    Fast and efficient ( and it has a great Splash Screen) !

I would like an easy non transcode workflow so I can use AVCHD in Da Vinci Resolve Lite (which does not play with AVCHD .mts natively)

Now...I have found this...

http://vimeo.com/forums/topic:43046

and I downloaded a win7 VERS.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmbc#features

Anyone care to test it? (I am a bit of a coward when it comes to techy stuff like this.)
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Unfortunately the file I downloaded from the developer site looks like its all source code, so unless you own a compiler it doesn't look like there's much you can do with it.

My bad, further down on the page there is a link to a site where you can download a compiled windows version. Yes its a command line program so it will take some looking into. Can Adobe Encoder be used to do the same thing? There was also some other program discussed here awhile back that could convert to prores, though maybe not on a pc.
    Last edited by dwiener; 12-16-2011, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Adobe encoder will transcode.

Clip Wrap (Mac Only) literally just flies thru the files and ...re wraps the header. Very convenient tool and we use it at some facilities I take AVCHD to.

Thanx for looking at that download. I couldnt figure it out at all.
      www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter View Post
        Exactly as I posted in Adobe Premiere Forum:

Anyone know of a program for Windows (7) that works like ClipWrap does on a Mac?

Clip Wrap (Divergent Media) them selves are not interested in porting it. I contacted them.

Whatever..I have a need for this.

For those that dont know..Clip Wrap does not transcode..it simply rewraps the header, flags etc....
        Fast and efficient ( and it has a great Splash Screen) !

I would like an easy non transcode workflow so I can use AVCHD in Da Vinci Resolve Lite (which does not play with AVCHD .mts natively)

Now...I have found this...

http://vimeo.com/forums/topic:43046

and I downloaded a win7 VERS.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmbc#features

Anyone care to test it? (I am a bit of a coward when it comes to techy stuff like this.)

I'm trying to get my head around how rewrapping the Panasonic AVCHD .mts file is going make it work in Resolve, it still has to be a a flavor h.264/mpeg4 part 10? This is why I didn't major in computer science (not to mention that there weren't many computers back then).

From looking over Resolve LT after finally getting my configuration sorted, it really looks like it begs for a standalone workstation. It also makes me want to upgrade my QC monitor. . .all of which makes me believe I can get along with colorista and put the money towards the Samurai of my dreams.

Doesn't your new Samurai record to Prores?
        Last edited by Letzring; 12-17-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Yep. The Samurai Records to Pro Res but I have tons of footage that I shot AVCHD (before I got the Samurai) and I would also like the choice of which files I choose to CC, shoot and or edit with.

Re wrapping AVCHD to DNxHD or Prores will work fine in Resolve. Thats what we do now but only on the MAcs. I want to be able to have the choice of using Resolve in my own Windows System.

I do not want to transcode but would if necessary ( select shots)

A standalone system would be ideal and I am considering that...but meantime it works great in my system.

I can not go back to Colorista 2 I have to say after spending about 6 - 8 hours hands-on with Resolve and a few hours in the manual.

As a cameraman.. I love using Resolve and having the control after years of watching others CC / grade my work.
          I will still use colorists in other facilties because of their higher skills / experience when required though.

Tip: I would buy the Samurai ( because Resolve is free). An all win... no lose situation
          www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Comment

I had a look at that link Shooter and it appears FFMBC will only rewrap the AVCHD to MP4, so still no good for Resolve.

I've been searching for the same solution as you, regarding working on a windows system and hoping to use my AVCHD material in Resolve.

To date I have three working solutions:

1. ProMedia Carbon (formerly Carbon Coder, formerly ProCoder) This has an export setting for AVID DNxHD http://www.rhozet.com/promedia_carbon.html
            2. Load the footage into my Avid and export an xml (I have moved my workflow over to the Adobe CS5.5 suite, however I still have my Avid 5 dongle)
            3. The latest windows version of 5dtoRGB can export ProRes Quicktimes on a PC (Not quite sure how they've pulled it off, but it works!) http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/

Ultimately, I've not discovered a way to re-wrap the clips and at present that doesn't appear possible on a windows machine, however there do appear to be a number of ways to encode to Resolve friendly footage. Oh and an added bonus to 5DtoRGB is that it has a free version, minus batch import!! So definitely worth testing out.

Hope this is helpful

Comment

I wil take a look at 5dtoRGB oiut of interest (but I am not really wanting an export type solution.)

BTW: Re encode or transcode is real easy with Adobe Media Encoder. (including AVID DNxHD)
              www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Comment

I wil take a look at 5dtoRGB oiut of interest (but I am not really wanting an export type solution.)

BTW: Re encode or transcode is real easy with Adobe Media Encoder. (including AVID DNxHD)
                I understand your want for a way to re-wrap. The need to re-encode is a real pain!

Re; Adobe Media Encoder, correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe it only outputs DNxHD in a Mov container, whereas Resolve will only accept DNxHD in the MXF wrapper. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong on this as I have spent many an hour searching for a convenient workflow for Resolve. This was why I suggested Either Avid that natively works with this format or Carbon coder as it is one of the only encoders I know of that does indeed export Avid DNxHD MXFs

Comment

I will investigate.

Thanx for your input.

One solution would be a cheap Mac with Clipwrap installed. Be kind of inconvenient but easy enough and quicker than a transcode.
                  My intention fro this workflow is only for select takes (files) anyway.

Of course its not an issue with files from my Samurai.
                  www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Comment

Y
                    I can not go back to Colorista 2 I have to say after spending about 6 - 8 hours hands-on with Resolve and a few hours in the manual.
                    I played with Resolve for a few hours now, but I´m not exactly a big fan of the workflow and handling in the moment.
                    Feels a bit, like I would have been thrown back 15 years to Avid and Flame.

I saw Adobe´s implementation of Iridias SpeedGrade today and it looks like its embedded in the CS Collection very nicely - like the ability to just read every file format and all, that Premiere can read. I guess it will also play nice together with the rest of the suite.

Ceck it out: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/no-stupid-...to-speedgrade/

Frank
                    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
                    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

sigpic

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

Comment

5dtorgb was the program that I had read about but couldn't remember the name of.

Comment

Originally posted by Postmaster View Post
                        I played with Resolve for a few hours now, but I´m not exactly a big fan of the workflow and handling in the moment.
                        Feels a bit, like I would have been thrown back 15 years to Avid and Flame.

I saw Adobe´s implementation of Iridias SpeedGrade today and it looks like its embedded in the CS Collection very nicely - like the ability to just read every file format and all, that Premiere can read. I guess it will also play nice together with the rest of the suite.

Ceck it out: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/no-stupid-...to-speedgrade/

Frank
                        Interesting, thanks for the link to speedgrade, I don't hang out in the Adobe forums nearly enough.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a Flame in 1996 (I can't remember about AVID) but I completely agree with what you are saying about the Dav/Resolve interface and workflow. There are a whole bunch of colorists out there right now for who this system is their bread-n-butter and its also safe to say that a lot of these people/facilities will only switch from Apple/Mac when (in the immortal words of Chuck Heston) "it is pried from the grip of their dead cold hands".

It is free (Resolve lite), maybe if I had a Scarlet on order I would be way more into it. Last time I was in a Davinci suite about 70% of the project was B&W, the NR was killer though.

Comment

I'm just starting to look at Resolve, have 2 questions-

Originally posted by CraftyClown View Post
                          Re; Adobe Media Encoder, correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe it only outputs DNxHD in a Mov container, whereas Resolve will only accept DNxHD in the MXF wrapper.
                          1) Is the above true, anybody know?

2) Any chance Davinci will add mts support? Is it a 4:2:0 thing, an 8 bit issue, or what?

Comment

Q1. is wrong for the first part and have not tested the second part yet.

Q2. No idea and I doubt it.

I kind of expect that Adobe Speedgrade will be very codec "accepting" ( just like Premiere)

I certainly dont understand those commenting on the Resolve workflow which I feel is very simple and logical (elegant even) and then it is coupled to great easy to use tools.

EDIT :

AME will export mxf in DNxHD as mov and in XDCAM as .mxf but Resolve will only recognise the xdcam wrapper. (Its not ideal because its anamorphic but conforms o.k)
                            Last edited by Shooter; 12-19-2011, 05:54 PM.
                            www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Comment

Thanks for the AME test Shooter.

Comment

Working...
                              X