Options for dampening iris ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options for dampening iris ring?

Picked up a used Zeiss ZF 50mm f2 Makro which was already declicked. But upon getting the lens, the iris ring is so loose it basically changes when the camera moves or the wind blows... I imagine this is an issue with most declicked stills lenses. I know the Dulcos cinemod includes dampening of the iris ring, so I'm wondering if that is my only option to make the ring have some friction. Does anyone else have issues - or solutions - with declicked lenses having a loose iris ring?
    Eidolon Films
    The Guardians - Coming in 2018

Possibly it needs proper lens grease of a viscocity that will dampen it.
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

Yea I think that's what Dulcos does, but not something I feel comfortable doing myself. The other option I guess is to reclick the lens. It was an option offered by the seller so I could send it back and have them do it. Just wish I had known how loose it would be.
      Eidolon Films

Comment

The process to "re-click" the lens is pretty much the same as it would be to apply the lens grease.
        I did most of my Nikons . . . there are a number of toots online (not trying to influence your decision), but was thinking that whether you send it back to be re-clicked or find someone locally I think you'd be happier having the proper grease applied instead.
        (hope what I just said makes sense).

Best.
        Canon 70-200 & 24-70, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4, Lumix 20, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300.

Comment

Couldnt find any tutorial .

Any possibilty you can link me please.
          www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-Toronto/page3 Pretty much the 3rd page in of this thread has some good information, Hunter Richards is knowledgable on the topic...it was he that inspired me to do mine. If you're going to Google for additional resources you'll want to search for cleaning your lenses (same process just fewer steps).
            Canon 70-200 & 24-70, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4, Lumix 20, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300.

Comment

That thread actually helped. Someone else had my issue - which was mainly that when opening all the way, the iris would jump back a little bit from f2. This was due to a small spring in the aperture ring. It was easy to open up the mount and just disengage the spring from the little tab on the iris ring. This means the ring is slightly looser (the spring was providing a bit of dampening) but now it doesn't bounce back a tiny bit at the end. I think I can live with that for now. Still afraid to do my own grease, as it seems Dulcos uses special Zeiss grease straight from Germany.
              Eidolon Films

Comment

I was afraid to open up my ZF.2's, so I had Matthew Duclos do the irises and they're perfect. Silky smooth with just the right amount of drag. Must be magic grease.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenM View Post
                  I was afraid to open up my ZF.2's, so I had Matthew Duclos do the irises and they're perfect. Silky smooth with just the right amount of drag. Must be magic grease.
                  Did you do the whole cinemod or just the irises?
                  Eidolon Films

Comment

The whole cinemod. At Matthew's suggestion, the gears for all lenses have the same outer diameter so it's faster to change. No need to reset the follow focus. Makes the lenses a pleasure to use.

Comment

Silly putty!
                      Foundation Digital Media
                      foundationdigitalmedia.com

Comment

Working...
                      X