Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about colour temp and other scene settings and why you'd use them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about colour temp and other scene settings and why you'd use them.

I've just been out shooting with my Af100. Spent the first day reading Barry Greens book. Big thanks to Barry, without this book it would have taken me four times as long to figure out all the settings.

I do have a question regarding scene files. Being able to set all the temp/chroma/phase is great. But it seems to me that all of those things can be changed in post so is there any real benefit to doing it this way.
    I can understand why you'd want to work with the knee/detail/v detail and gamma so that you can reduce noise or gain shadow detail. But anything to do with colour seems silly to keep changing other then white balance.

Thinking about it, I guess maybe it helps with continuity, but I can see that in someways it might make it harder.

Anyone tell me if they use these settings much?
    www.youtube.com/bubblegummonsters

Short animation
    https://vimeo.com/46352661

www.bubblegummonsters.wordpress.com

www.loneoakproductions.com

Everyone has his own style of shooting and dealing with CC in post or not.

My personal way of dealing with all cameras, I have a couple EXcams, Canon DSLRs and an AF 100. I use them all often on the same project. I spend time setting a new camera up so it matches up with my other cams reasonable well. And I try to optimize the noise/banding issues, in the AF100 this is the biggest challenge for me at least. I usually shoot with a NanoFlash on the AF100 so I can tweak it quite a bit in post if need be.

This has worked for me and now I don't worry about settings other than exposure and white balance. And I have my settings backed up both on paper and on cards for each camera in my run bags.

I can definitely see setting up a certain look for a specific project. But more than 90% of the time I am ready to shoot with my "standard" settings knowing all my cams are pretty well matched.
    Olof Ekbergh
    olof@westsideav.com
    www.westsideav.com
    www.westsideavstore.com

Comment

Ah yes good point, I didn't think of multi cam set ups.

I've been reading a lot of the setting that people use and that's been a great help.
      www.youtube.com/bubblegummonsters

Short animation
      https://vimeo.com/46352661

www.bubblegummonsters.wordpress.com

www.loneoakproductions.com

Comment

Working...
      X