No announcement yet.

Basic & versatile lens for AG AF100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the AF-100 is the right camera for this. Last thing I'd wanna be doing in a rain forrest is changing lenses and keeping them all clean. I'd weatherproof a fixed lens camera and go to town.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com
    Red Weapon 8K

Comment

Yeah I'd get a GoPro HD and the cheapest Sony HDV camera I could find and roll the dice. Add a good mic and record to secondary audio and no one will know the difference.

Noah
      One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
      40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
      Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

Comment

Thanks to you all. I think Cinestill and Xenogears are getting the point: Due to my budget (around 6.5k) I need to get the lens that matchs better all possible fields. Thatīs the thing Noah, it's a matter of budget right now. I know AF100 to be more like a movie camera and thatīs what I'll be doing: a documentary movie among indigenous people. But besides this particular project, a low budget filmmaker like me should think investing best way possible his money due to be prepared for projects to come. Thats why Iīm thinking in this camera. I hope Iīll be upgrading my lenses in the future. But I have to be in the jungle in less than a month and I want to shoot best quality then, because this project is important in my professional career. So, Noah I canīt undestand why are you saying to get a cheap camera. I have a Sony Z1 and a DVX100 avaliable in my wardrobe, but I want to shoot High Quality due to this project relevance (I wonīt be shooting Xtreme sports or something like that, I'll be making a movie). Do you really think it would be the same? If so, I would be very surprised about all this AF100 matter, if itīs still the same than shooting with old tech cams.

Apart, I know wet it's a matter, I have been down there and really is, but do you think AF100 is specially sensitive in that? more than DVX100?
        DVX100 and Z1, both had been perfect to me in that field until now

Comment

sony nx-70

Comment

Originally posted by NoahK View Post
            Yeah I'd get a GoPro HD and the cheapest Sony HDV camera I could find and roll the dice. Add a good mic and record to secondary audio and no one will know the difference.

Noah
            Unless it's projected big screen and he wants DOF...

Comment

syd,

i'd first look at

1. Pentax DA* 16-50 f2.8 It's weather sealed and has a good range that could work for the mojority of your shooting.
              Alternatively there is the tokina 16-50 2.8 that is similar but i don't think it's weather sealed

2. Pentax DA* 50-135 F2.8 Again, weather sealed, fairly compact, no rails needed.

If you need wider than 16 there is a sigma 10-20 f3.5 or the panasonic 7-14

Then you have a reasonably compact package that requires no rails or matte box, and all lenses are constant apertures and zoomable during shots.

Comment

Thank you Tacotim, Do I need an adapter for those pentax?

Comment

I just sent a guy down to Haiti to shoot footage at our church's orphanage there. He went down with a Nikon 50mm 1.7, a Tokina 16-50mm, and I think he brought a 70-200mm 2.8 Nikon.

I would really advise a 16-50mm 2.8 lens (tokina, tamron 17-50, 17-55 nikon). 16mm is generally plenty wide, and that's coming from a DVX100/HPX170 background. The 11-16 tokina is a good choice too if you know you will be cramped for space indoors or if you love wide shots. I don't know how much you want/need long shots, but a 70-200 Tamron 2.8 is probably a really good choice if you think you'll need extended ranges. A good 50mm prime would also be a good idea. Maybe a 20-40mm prime as well.

If under $700, I'd get a 16-50mm 2.8
                  If under $1000, I'd get a 16-50mm 2.8 and one of (50mm 1.4 or a 85mm 1.8)
                  If under $1500, I'd get a 16-50mm 2.8 and a 70-200mm 2.8
                  If under $2000, I'd get a 11-16mm 2.8, 16-50mm 2.8, a 70-200mm 2.8

Or if you prefer primes and shallower DoF, get the 20mm 1.7, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8. And a 7-14 lumix or 11-16 tokina.

Comment

yes, you will need the novoflex kmount to m43 adapter for the pentax lenses, for tokina you'd need the adapter for whichever version of that lens you get, I believe they make it in several mounts.

Comment

So Syd, what did you decide and where's the film

Its an old thread but I am in the same predicament. Moreover, I would like to shoot in the Amazon as well. So just wondering what tips you may have.

Comment

I, too, would be curious to know about Syd's experience.

FWIW, my first reaction when reading this thread was, for what the OP describes and the budget he mentioned, I would have gone with 2 or 3 GH-2, each with its own "fixed" lens (probably 2 fast primes and one zoom). I lived several years in a tropical island with a rain forest, and the last thing you want to do there is have to change your lens... Compared with the logical option of going with one fixed lens camcorder, this can be considered as having one or two "spare" cameras in case one fails (and they *are* prone to fail in that climate).

Comment

I wouldn't take an af100 into the amazon. At least a p2 250, or 370.

Comment

Working...
                          X