Basic & versatile lens for AG AF100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic & versatile lens for AG AF100

Hi all. I was DVX100 user and big fan and this forum was great help to me back then... I never upgrade to HVX200 or HPX170, but now I feel like is time to enter HD world with AG AF100. Soon I'll be down Amazonian jungle making a documentary and my budget fits AF100 but just one lens (maybe two, depending on the price). I'm new to interchangeable lens and would like to know best lens if you could get only one in order to match all kind of situations: faces, groups of people, landscapes, plants and insects close ups, etc...

I too would be interested in this mythical lens - fashioned from the horn of a unicorn, and forged in the heart of a dying star. Such a lens would set me up above the gods...

Comment

Where did you learned to talk so poetically? You never know, maybe IŽll be among gods there in the jungle while you will still dreaming... But, besides my inexperience in lens matter, I'm just asking for best OPTION to match that fields best way possible and not assuming that there is a magical lens that makes it all.

Cleared that, I'll appreciate serious help

Comment

Just out of curiosity- why buy this camera if you want a one-size fits all lens? Sounds like a fixed lens camera is what you should be sticking with. The AF100 excels with a variety of high quality prime lenses and expensive zooms. To be asking for the magical bullet lens that fits all situations is missing the point. Just stick with an EX1 or HVX200 and you'll get reliable shots to fit your style.

Noah
        One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
        40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
        Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

Comment

Originally posted by syd View Post
          Hi all. I was DVX100 user and big fan and this forum was great help to me back then... I never upgrade to HVX200 or HPX170, but now I feel like is time to enter HD world with AG AF100. Soon I'll be down Amazonian jungle making a documentary and my budget fits AF100 but just one lens (maybe two, depending on the price). I'm new to interchangeable lens and would like to know best lens if you could get only one in order to match all kind of situations: faces, groups of people, landscapes, plants and insects close ups, etc...
          You can put together a set of nikkors for less than $2K that would cover everything if you play your cards right used. That is about the same price as two decent used lenses. What is your budget exactly?
          BTW; All six of mine pack neatly into a little pelican 1400 case if space is your concern. If you want the best the Af100 can offer you really want to be using good primes. Think of it more as a movie camera. If you want an all in one lens for ENG style shooting, I would frankly get an EX-1.
          Panasonic AF100 w/ Adaptimax Plus Nikon Mount
          Atomos Samurai w/ 2x Intel 120gb SSDs
          Nikon Mount Lenses:
          - 11-16mm f/2.8 - 20mm f/3.5 - 24mm f/2.8 - 28mm f/2.8 - 35mm f/1.4 - 50mm f/1.4 - 50mm f/2 - 85mm f/1.4 - 135mm f/2.8 - 200mm f/4 -
          Other Lenses:
          - Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6, Fujia 35mm f/1.4

sigpic

Comment

Hi Syd
            I would have a look at 17-50mm range at f2.8
            Sigma probably make an inexpensive Nikon mount version, or the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 G lens is very good. I suggest the nikon mount because it is easy to get a Nikon G adaptor to control the aperture. ( see Adaptirmax, Novaflex and others)

Comment

You can use just two lenses to cover a long range, nice price, nice quality, both on Nikon or Sony mount to change the aperture.
              Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 (500$ or less)
              Tamron 70-200mm f.28 (800$ or less)

And if you need to go wider (certainly you must if you go the Amazon)
              Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (600$ or less)

Cheers and good luck
              www.cajitacreativa.com
              Sony a7s II | Lumix LX100
              2013 MacPro 8-Core | Alienware 17 r2
              Cinema 4D R17 | Adobe CC | ZBrush4r7

Comment

You might want to consider the Panasonic 14-140mm lens. Barry Green has posted that he thinks this a good general purpose lens for the AF100 as long as you can get by with it's 4.0 to 5.6 maximum aperture (it is a very slow lens). About $850.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoff View Post
                  You might want to consider the Panasonic 14-140mm lens. Barry Green has posted that he thinks this a good general purpose lens for the AF100 as long as you can get by with it's 4.0 to 5.6 maximum aperture (it is a very slow lens). About $850.
                  My point exactly. An AF100 with that lens alone is far less capable than most fixed lens HD camcorders already on the market.

Noah
                  One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
                  Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

Comment

I think you're likely looking at three different lenses for your purposes. Wide angle ( Lumix 7-14 is one),
                    general ( Lumix 14-140 is one) and a faster lens that has macro capability (Voigtlander 25mm is one) ..
                    min. focus distance is 6" .. may not be tight enough for insects and such though...but is faster than the
                    Lumix's.

jeff
                    ps: how you gonna keep your gear dry? wet is bad.

Comment

Hey just to add my two cent, just got the af 100 and the voigtlander 25mm, its macro capabilities are amazing! I've become obsessed with getting huge macro close ups of everything and anything! Much to my friends annoyance....apparently its not cool to see a spot in all its glorious high definition!

Comment

The last thing you want to be doing in the Amazon is lugging around heavy gear, and changing lenses often.
                        Plus the more gear you take the more expensive it will be to fly. Ever weighed a StormCase full of lenses?
                        If you have a good support crew and fixer, then it's a different story.
                        As others have suggested a fixed lens camera will be more manageable and allow you to cover more ground in the given time when working solo.
                        If you were to go with an interchangeable lens camera like the AF100, then 3 zooms to cover your needs and maybe a fast prime for lower light shooting.
                        But again I would weigh everything you plan to take and see if you really want to be lugging all that gear around.
                        Batteries start to weigh a bunch and take up space when you bring enough to shoot extended without access to a charger.
                        Bring extra microfiber cloths, extra SDXC cards/whatever your camera uses, plastic bags & silica gel, and figure out a transfer/charging solution before you go.

All the Best!

Dave

Comment

Actually, the Lumix(es) and Voigtlander aren't that heavy .. we got a tamrac adventure backpack and
                          it's pretty comfortable .. wish is more rainproof though. The 10 will hold a laptop.. fits in overhead
                          bin.
                          Last edited by jmarkham; 05-17-2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Another great option is the Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 ED SWD Mark II, Iris control, weather sealed, Autofocus.
                            www.cajitacreativa.com
                            Sony a7s II | Lumix LX100
                            2013 MacPro 8-Core | Alienware 17 r2
                            Cinema 4D R17 | Adobe CC | ZBrush4r7

Comment

Yeah but again- that's not a power zoom. You make a huge trade off with the AF100 and that trade off is convenience for amazing optical versatility that comes with many different lenses. To make it just one is losing out on the benefit.

Noah

Comment

Working...
                              X