Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compact, lightweight, screw-on Matte Box.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compact, lightweight, screw-on Matte Box.

I travel often, & need a compact, lightweight, screw-on matte box, or filter holder. I have a Chrosziel 4x5.6 for use when the cam is all dressed up, but need something to use on the AF100 when it's stripped down.

I have a couple of Lee holders, & love the compendium hoods, but hate that they need to be taped into place to keep from spinning around.

I'll mostly use grads, mists, & contrast, filters, plus the occasional polarizer, so need two, or three, stage holder. I don't care if I need to buy all new filters, or if they won't last a lifetime, so glass or, resin is fine.

When traveling I'll mostly be using Canon, Olympus, & Lumix, still lenses with threads ranging between 52mm, & 77mm, but if it covered 82mm that would be great. I also need it to work with lenses as wide-angle as 14mm.

Cost isn't a concern, but size, & weight are.

Thanks,
    Bern
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 03-26-2011, 10:07 AM.

Are you trying to eliminate the need for rod and the camera support system and mount a matte box without these?

Not sure how else you can mount a mattebox to such a disparity of lenses and front elements / thread sizes. I have used soft lens shades that attach to lenses ( all the same size front ends) but they dont take filters at all.

A matte box that does similar to your existing on eis not going to save you much as a strip down anyway.

You may be able make a light version of a rail system though.
    I have a small support and C/fibre rod system that mounts to the top handle of my AF102. It would take a light weight matte box ( hung up side down).
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Matte_Box.html

Formatt makes a nice unit. You add an inexpensive adapter to your lens, and the matte box clips on.

Jeff
      _/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/

Jeff DePonte
      http//www.jdesign.tv

Comment

The Genus matteboxes are nice and lightweight. Just get the proper step down ring for your lenses.
        Matt Gottshalk
        Director of Production
        BPI.tv

Comment

For ultra-lightweight work without rails and matte box, I generally carry a filter roll containing 77mm screw on filters and a couple of rubber lens hoods, one wide and one for tele lenses. I use 77mm step rings on my lenses giving a uniform front, eliminating the need for multiple size filters.

All the Best!

Dave

Comment

Thanks to all of your ideas.

Looks like I'll stick with the Lee grads for those times when nothing else will fit. They're thin & light enough to live in most bags, & I have holders that are threaded in the front for a 105mm polarizer. In worse case scenarios I'll tape the grads directly to the lens.

For more reasonable conditions I'll be looking at the wide-angle Genus. The Chrosziel is fine on rails, but many of my lenses extend when zoomed, so I could use a matte box that clips-on.

I usually carry screw-in filters, but mostly for filming with the GH2. I love that camera for B-Roll, especially stills, due to the ability to compose, & capture in 16:9. The 5D2 always comes on gigs, but the GH2 rarely leaves my side.

Thanks again,
            Bern

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter View Post
              I have a small support and C/fibre rod system that mounts to the top handle of my AF102. It would take a light weight matte box ( hung up side down).
              Shooter,

I'm always interested in small, &/or lightweight, kit.

A rail system above the lens is interesting as I'd be able to hang the follow focus upside-down, & use my Nikkors without a reversing gear.

What system are you using?

Thanks again,
              Bern
              Last edited by Bern Caughey; 03-28-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern Caughey View Post
                Shooter,

I'm always interested in small, &/or lightweight, kit.

A rail system above the lens is interesting as I'd be able to hang the follow focus upside-down, & use my Nikkors without a reversing gear.

What system are you using?

Thanks again,
                Bern
                I will do a photo later today but basically its a couple of components I cobbled together because I had them.

A small camera plate with rod holes ( std 15mm and spacing) plus some carbon fibre rods. Its just an attachment point for us and it aslo works for underslinging the camera.
                www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

Old thread, I know!

Just wondering if anyone has tried out the new Wooden Camera Zip Box rubber matte boxes? I'm looking for something to use with an FS700 & Canon 24-105, so anything on rails is generally awkward as it either vignettes or hits the filters as you zoom in/out. I'll only ever need 1 filter at a time as it's for those instances where the in-built 1/64th ND is not quite enough.

Would love to hear any feedback people have regarding the Wooden Camera Zip Box!
                  VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
                  Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
                  Adobe CC 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Bern Caughey View Post
                    I have a couple of Lee holders, & love the compendium hoods, but hate that they need to be taped into place to keep from spinning around.
                    Lee do a wide angle bellows hood / holder that clamps on, have you tried that? I used one for years in ENG lenses.

Steve

Comment

Like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lterholer.html

Comment

Originally posted by steve phillipps View Post
                        Only for internal focus video lenses.

Comment

We use this Matte Box on our Panasonic GH cameras, we don't have a AF100 any longer but it would be perfect for it as well. https://youtu.be/SvHtf9U7TGw

Comment

You could check out the new Wooden Camera Zip Boxes, hard rubber with 4x4 or 4x5.6 inch filters in various sizes. I fixed the variety of different front lens sizes by adding Matt box screw in rings with a77 filter size and 80mm outside ring for the matte box, to my lenses. I added ARRI / Duclos 80mm caps to protect the lens. Cheers

Comment

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/...universal-hood

Comment

Working...
                              X