Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but not for overcranking. The AF100 requires Class 6 or better for overcranking.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Does it literally flat out reject you or will it try and just fail from card write speed? Not that it's a big deal or anything, I am just trying to figure out if I should buy some new cards just for when I get the chance to try out an AF-100.
      "Can't stop the signal."

http://www.vimeo.com/benbunch
      benbunchfilms.com

Comment

The camera checks the card's speed when you go to turn VFR on. If the card reports that it's a Class 6 or higher, then it goes ahead. If the card reports that it's Class 4 or lower, the camera brings up a message saying "cannot record VFR to this card."
        The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

I tried FilmPro class 6 cards and couldn't get into VFR mode. So I bought Lexar class 10 cards and couldn't get into VFR mode (they're on sale, good deal.) Then I realized that I'm in 720 instead of 1080. Can't shoot VFR in 720. Just a heads up!!
          http://vimeo.com/davidsmeltzer
          AVID Certified Instructor
          HVX-200, HPX370
          AF100 with Novoflex Nikon to micro 4/3:
          Metabones Speedbooster Nikon G to 4/3
          Various Nikon Lenses
          RedRock AF100 Mattebox and Follow Focus

Comment

Just discovered I can copy shot sd cards or selected clips to another sd card IN CAMERA! Now I can back up shot cards, give a set to the client and archive the others.

Look under card functions in the PB menu. No more NEXTO or laptop in the field.

Comment

Yes, that's probably my favorite aspect of there being two slots. I don't really anticipate needing 24 hours of recording capacity loaded in the camera at once, but the ability to extract selected clips and make a new card is pretty cool.

Comment

I have a canon 50mm FD mount I cant set the stop on, despite having the Lens Check set to off. Whether the stop is set at 1.4 or 16, I can see no difference in the viewfinder or on the recorded image.
                Im using a rainbow fd to micro 4/3 adapter - my other Fd mount lens is a Canon 70-210 zoom, and does not have the same issue. Any ideas why I cant set the stop on my 50mm? Thanks for any help!

Comment

Not familiar with that lens, but I presume it has a manual aperture ring? Perhaps the aperture blades are stuck? Or there's maybe a DOF preview button that needs to be pressed?

Comment

Originally posted by jumpin julian perez View Post
                    I have a canon 50mm FD mount I cant set the stop on, despite having the Lens Check set to off. Whether the stop is set at 1.4 or 16, I can see no difference in the viewfinder or on the recorded image.
                    Im using a rainbow fd to micro 4/3 adapter - my other Fd mount lens is a Canon 70-210 zoom, and does not have the same issue. Any ideas why I cant set the stop on my 50mm? Thanks for any help!
                    Likely you have figured this out by now, but I had the same issue...the problem is when mounting the lens onto the adapter there is a little pin(on the adapter) that has to engage a tab on the lens...it is easy to accidentally attach the lens without the pin moving the tab.

Hope it helps!

Bob
                    "...almost any story is almost certainly some kind of lie." Orson Welles

Comment

FD lens aperture not working

Photos to illustrate canon fd attachment...when mounting the lens the pin that is seen inside the novoflex adapter needs to slide the lens aperture tab as you mount the lens to adapter.novoflexfdm43circled.jpgcanonfdmountcircle.jpg
                      Attached Files
                      "...almost any story is almost certainly some kind of lie." Orson Welles

Comment

No Audio - it happened to me yesterday...

I went out on a test shoot with my friend's AF100 yesterday and came back after three hours to find out that we had no audio!
                        Luckily we had a second camera (A sony NEX-5) and we used the audio recorded into that.

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                        When I get my camera I will print out this thread and tape it to the back of the camera...

Just kidding, but #2, the one about not recording audio if VFR is "on" will bite me, I know... It's exactly the kind of mistake I'm prone to make, and it's only a matter of time... I hope a future firmware upgrade disables the audio meters - that was suggested early on I know...

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                          When outputting 1080 over SDI, the broadcast standard is 1080/60i. When you're shooting 24p, that means that the camera inserts 3:2 pulldown to convert the 24p signal into 60i for output.

The AF100 has the ability to instead output the special 24PsF mode, which is really basically 48i -- no pulldown at all. It's interlaced, but a monitor or recorder that understands 24PsF will also know that it's meant to be progressive, and the monitor will know to reassemble it into its true progressive nature before displaying it. And a recorder like the NanoFlash can read 24PsF and knows to convert it into true 24P. So, in effect, 24PsF means "output true pure native 24P instead of interlaced 60i with 3:2 pulldown."

So for certain uses it can be nice and handy. But it also causes lots of conflicts, so only use it when you really need it.
                          Thanks Barry, this helps me a lot course I would verry mutch like to shoot 24p on the Atomos 'Samurai' , lets hope it understands to record in 1080-24p from the output SDI , further I will have to keep in mind now I can't shoot autofocus at that time. the HDMI disable and variable framerate is not a huge problem to me course I do not expect the 'Samurai' to be able of recording variable framerate and the HDMI I wont need at time of recording.

Comment

if the shutter is off its 1/50, in the manual

Andy

Originally posted by Noel Evans View Post
                            When it comes to the audio meters and VFR. Its very easy to see VFR is on. You'll have XX:24 or XX:25.

Im sure many of you already know this but Im going to just type it out anyway.

RELATES TO FILM CAM MODE ONLY

A small gotcha for those in PAL land and who havent used a Pana cam before. But lets call it what it really is shooting in 50Hz.

When set to 25P, the shutter options in the menu are 1/25 or 1/60. Typically when trying to obtain that film like motion blur we want a 180 degree shutter which equates to 1/50th. But there is no 1/50th right? Wrong.

Two ways to achieve 1/50th or a 180 degree shutter.

1/ On the back left side of cam is the Dial select button - which as you know changes the function of the dial below it. There are a few options

Dial Shutter
                            Dial frame rate
                            Dial Lock

Choose dial shutter. Then if you scroll the wheel your presented with 1/25, 1/60, 1/120, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, 1/2000 then the final is the shutter degrees. This is set to 180 degree by default. So if it reads 180, select it and viola your where you need to be.

BUT, what about if you change the value for syncro scan and how do you do that anyway?

With the shutter showing the shutter angle hit the dial select button again - then using the dial up or down, this will let you choose any shutter angle from 10 to 360 degrees. So setback to 180 if its on something else and your set.

2/ This is the easiest way to get straight out 1/50 or 180 degrees without any fuss.

Again, use the dial select button to select Dial Shutter. Then simply push the dial in and you will see on the LCD "Shutter Off". This actually sets the camera to a shutter or 1/50.

These functions are exactly the same in NTSC land (59.94Hz) countries. When you're at 180 or shutter off your at 1/48th.

Comment

Has there been any word on expanding the functionality of the dial to include film speed/ISO sensitivity? I know others have been asking, but I didn't know if Panasonic has definitively answered on if it is even possible or expected as a firmware update. It is certainly awkward while trying to maintain DOF when light changes to have to drill into menus to get to the sensitivity/iso settings for in between the pre assigned boost switch settings.
                              Jan??? Barry???
                              http://www.vimeo.com/daleanthonysmith
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/multimed...ature=mhee#p/a

AF100, GH1(pair), Lumix Lenses: 20mm, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 100-300mm Nikon Lenses: 55mm macro f3.5, 50mm f1.4
                              CS5 workstation 24gb RAM, ProAim Mattebox w/ 4" filters, CobraCrain Jib w/motor pan/tilt on Quickset Herculese jibpod

Comment

I have heard nothing about any such change coming. Again, traditionally there have been no feature enhancements for existing models.

Comment

Working...
                                X