Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the zoom on these lenses variable or do they zoom at a constant speed?
    Tim Langston
    Cryin' Out Loud Productions, Inc.
    Fort Wayne, IN
    info@colproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Langston View Post
      Is the zoom on these lenses variable or do they zoom at a constant speed?
      Zoom speed is variable. Control is much better using the Varizoom rocker than the lever on the lens.

Comment

One more question, do they hold focus when zooming, or do you need to leave the camera on auto focus?

Thanks,
        Tim
        Tim Langston
        Fort Wayne, IN
        info@colproductions.com

Comment

I find it holds focus when going wide but can inconsistently lose an edge the other way. Sometimes it holds but not always.

Comment

Thanks, it's tempting, I'm currently using a B4 adapter with a Fujinon lens set on 2x. Seems to work pretty good, even though some have said it's not the greatest. And of course I always have to use rails to hold the lens.
            Tim Langston
            Fort Wayne, IN
            info@colproductions.com

Comment

Thanks, it's tempting, I'm currently using a B4 adapter with a Fujinon lens set on 2x. Seems to work pretty good, even though some have said it's not the greatest. And of course I always have to use rails to hold the lens.
              I have four Lumix zoom lenses including the 14 - 140mm (newly acquired), a 25mm Voigtlander and a 14 - 200mm Nikon G lens. The 45 - 175mm x lens is top of my zooms - internal zoom, fast auto focus, next to no hunting and no discernible breathing (which makes the Nikon all but unusable). I so like the power zoom I'm about to sell the 14 - 140mm and replace it with the 14 - 42mm Lumix x, though it is not internal zoom.

Comment

Alright, alright, I placed my order for the 45 - 175mm X lens. I figure if I like it I'll sell my 14 - 140mm and re cop some cash. Can't wait to try this on the Cobra Crane.

We better keep this quiet until we sell our 14 - 140's. HA!!!

Tim
                Tim Langston
                Fort Wayne, IN
                info@colproductions.com

Comment

Alright, alright, I placed my order for the 45 - 175mm X lens. I figure if I like it I'll sell my 14 - 140mm and re cop some cash. Can't wait to try this on the Cobra Crane.

We better keep this quiet until we sell our 14 - 140's. HA!!!

Tim
                  I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the lens.

Comment

Just got the 45 - 175mm power zoom lens. Hooked it up to my VariZoom controller and it works. However, the focus on the VariZoom will only allow up to 10 meters, I unplug the VariZoom and I can focus to infinity on the camera. Hmmmm, I wonder if I've wacked the controller when it was attached to my tripod, the focus knob will rotate completely around. Other than that, it works pretty good. But, I'm spoiled by the feathering off of the zooms on my Fujinon. I'll have to play around a bit more, I wish we had a little more zoom, like a 14 - 175.
                    Tim Langston
                    Fort Wayne, IN
                    info@colproductions.com

Comment

It sounds like your Varizoom is damaged. The focus knob on mine has about 230 degrees of rotation with stops at both ends of travel. It can also focus from 2.95 feet to just past infinity.

Comment

I wish we had a little more zoom, like a 14 - 175.
                        4X zoom range is hardly stellar but the lens operates pretty well otherwise.

The logic behind the Lumix range of lenses is hard to understand. Why two 14 - 42mm and a 14 - 45mm? Why a 45 - 175mm and a 45 - 200mm? I appreciate they are designing across a broad range of M43 cameras of varying costs but the current line up seems strangely uncoordinated.
                        Last edited by Inveresk; 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Has anyone else had any issues the the EVF DTL function suddenly shutting off?

I've noticed that on my last 2-3 shoots, I'd notice that it the LCD looked soft and, low and behold, the EVF DTL function was off.

Anyone?
                          www.rookmpc.com
                          rook@rookmpc.com

Comment

I never use it. I just use focus in red alone NOT in conjunction with the EVF DTL on.

Before my last shoot I picked up a TV Logic 5.6" monitor and it has cut my focus worries and time to get critical focus in more than half. Highly recommend going that (kind of) route to ensure focus.
                            Kahn Artist Filmworks
                            FaceBook

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Kahn. Not sure I can drop the money on a new monitor just yet though.

Anyone else?
                              www.rookmpc.com
                              rook@rookmpc.com

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post

1. Wondering why some certain function isn't working? Some features disable other features, and one of the most notable of those is having the HD-SDI 24PsF output set to ON. I strongly recommend to everyone to leave 24PsF set to "off" unless they know exactly what they're doing. It can disable the HDMI output, it disables variable frame rates, and it disables autofocus, so lots of people are going to be scratching their heads as to why all these functions quit working on their cameras, when in reality all they have to do is turn 24PsF to "off" and all that stuff comes back.
                                Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                                When outputting 1080 over SDI, the broadcast standard is 1080/60i. When you're shooting 24p, that means that the camera inserts 3:2 pulldown to convert the 24p signal into 60i for output.

The AF100 has the ability to instead output the special 24PsF mode, which is really basically 48i -- no pulldown at all. It's interlaced, but a monitor or recorder that understands 24PsF will also know that it's meant to be progressive, and the monitor will know to reassemble it into its true progressive nature before displaying it. And a recorder like the NanoFlash can read 24PsF and knows to convert it into true 24P. So, in effect, 24PsF means "output true pure native 24P instead of interlaced 60i with 3:2 pulldown."

So for certain uses it can be nice and handy. But it also causes lots of conflicts, so only use it when you really need it.
                                So this means that when using the camera with an external recorder you can't monitor using a HDMI monitor?

Also you can't record to an external recorder if you need auto focus?
                                Cameras: Panasonic AF100, GH2 (x2) and Sony EX3.
                                Lenses: Zeiss CP.2 primes

Comment

Working...
                                X