No announcement yet.

Remote start stop record for AF100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I think would be amazing is if you could adapt something like the Aaton handgrip with start/stop switch for the AF100. Abelcine sells one for the RED. http://www.abelcine.com/store/Aaton-Handgrip-for-RED. Of course it is stupidly expensive...
    josh d stanton
    Shooter/Editor
    www.avenue-films.com

Comment

Aaton handgrip rules again.

You mean something like this?_1030630.jpg

Comment

How about the VariZoom? http://www.varizoom.com/products/con...ealthpzfi.html

Comment

Start/Stop recording?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ec_ZC_3DV.html

Works for me (DVX100, HVX200, HPX170, AF100)

$89.
          Canon 70-200 & 24-70, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4, Lumix 20, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300.

Comment

You mean something like this?
            monkeyking. How did you wire your grip? I have an Aaton grip as well, with the original start/stop to the right and inching to the left.. I assume yours works with the start/stop. What mini-plug did you use for the AF? and how did you wire it if you don't mind my asking?

Comment

Mac,
              Don't throw away your Aaton handles yet ! Yes, same handle start/stop to right, inching to the left. Abel made us a long cable w/lemo on one end (handlle) and mini plug (3.5mm?) on camera end. We run the cable thru the rods all the way to back of camera. You could probably make the cable yourself if you're handy w/lemo connectors.
              In actual practice the on/off switch is a little clunky . You depress switch to the right and camera runs, but to stop you must not only depress switch to the left but depress it to the right again. Does that make sense? So yes , the handle switch does work but takes a couple extra motions to stop recording.
              Of course, I have not tested what happens if you inadvertantly plug in handle cable to camera while switch is in "on" position. I know I wasted a lot of film in my Aaton
              back in the day : ) Camera ran so quietly that a lot of film could run thru the gate before you heard it run out!

When shooting AF100 on a tripod I have discovered that I can use my Zoe zoom control rec button to start/stop recording very conveniently from the tripod handle. Of course, zoom function will not work.

Comment

What I would like to know is how to trigger the AF101 by movement. It would be for this sideproject of mine:

http://www.rieniotten.com/wildlife

(this was shot with a Sony handycam with IR but they have babies now who will come out at the end of the afternoon which could be shot with an AF101 with 300mm lens without IR)

Comment

n actual practice the on/off switch is a little clunky . You depress switch to the right and camera runs, but to stop you must not only depress switch to the left but depress it to the right again.
                  yeah, I know the drill, I've been using the walnut grip on my HPX500 for a few years. Girven at Abels said he'd check into making a cable for me... I could do it, but after my Cineroid issues (elsewhere) I'm a little gun shy.

Comment

I know I wasted a lot of film in my Aaton
                    back in the day
                    I miss the flickering finder so I know I'm running, timecode just ain't the same... Off subject, I know...

Comment

Remote start stop record for AF100

Has anyone had any luck actually building the switch or wiring up the S/S jack on the camera? With a 2.5mm plug in that jack, absolutely nothing happens when the pins are connected together. I had thought this just required a momentary contact pushbutton to short the tip to the sleeve but that seems not to be correct (or I'm missing something).

Any help out there?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by PeteGould View Post
                        Has anyone had any luck actually building the switch or wiring up the S/S jack on the camera? With a 2.5mm plug in that jack, absolutely nothing happens when the pins are connected together. I had thought this just required a momentary contact pushbutton to short the tip to the sleeve but that seems not to be correct (or I'm missing something). Any help out there? Pete
                        I followed the same instructions and got the same zero-zip-nada result, yet I plug my HVX Varizoom control into the same 2.5 jack and s/s works perfectly. Has anyone succeeded?
                        formerly SNP

Comment

Indeed it does not work. I've followed the instructions from here http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?196377-Super-easy-to-make-DIY-remote-for-Panasonic-cameras. The iris and focus controls work as described, but start/stop does not.
                          Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

Oliver Rush and I both got it working in two different ways. thread of it over at http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?241395
                            C100 / Aerial Shooter/Editor - NY/NJ

My work, My equipment, My other whatnots...
                            www.DarrenLevine.com

Comment

Hmm, the wiring in that link is the same as the wiring in the link I referenced. I wonder what is different? I'll have to take another look at it.
                              Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

Got it!

Originally posted by Paul F View Post
                                Hmm, the wiring in that link is the same as the wiring in the link I referenced. I wonder what is different? I'll have to take another look at it.
                                GOT IT! I Looked at all the schematics and took my Varizoom controller apart and realized the common thread is that all the DIY and commercial controls include the, in this case, un-needed zoom control. Pins A & C control the Start/Stop but the AF 100 apparently likes to see the zoom control connected as well.

I put a simple 10K ohm 1/4 watt (non-variable) resistor between pins B & C and now Start/Stop works perfectly with a momentary contact switch between pins A&C.

It did add .99 cents to the bill but now you have 4 spare 10K ohm resistors (they come in a 5-pack).
                                formerly SNP

Comment

Working...
                                X