X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry_Green
    replied
    Originally posted by dtzfilms View Post
    Also, the Abel Cine workshop on the 26-27, what about those who can't afford to attend due to dime or time constraints? Are you planning to record these and eventually sell the DVD?
    I am doing a separate DVD which will be much more useful than just a recorded presentation. The AF100 DVD is underway right now in fact. I have found that there are some people who simply will not (or do not want to) read a book, but learn much better interactively, and love and thrive on live interaction, hands-on, and the ability to do live Q&A, so that's why we do the seminars. There are others who can't afford to go, don't live in one of the seminar cities, and still prefer a live demonstration versus reading a book. And there are others who simply love having a book in their camera bag, a quick reference that they can have with them at all times rather than trying to pop in and play a DVD. So I am producing all those products (DVD, book, and seminar) so that the users can choose which way they prefer.

Leave a comment:

• dtzfilms
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Glad you like it!
    Does a DVD come with it like it did with the HPX170?

Leave a comment:

• dtzfilms
    replied
    Barry, be sure to inform the Abel Cine folks about this book thing.

Also, the Abel Cine workshop on the 26-27, what about those who can't afford to attend due to dime or time constraints? Are you planning to record these and eventually sell the DVD?

I'm planning on attending as I'll be starting my first feature three days later, so it's film school for me, yippee! If you're not intending to record it and sell it, (or give it away) can we record the session, if not with cameras, possibly digital audio recorders? I just want something I can transcribe and use as a quick reference in the field. I have no ill intentions, but I'm going to get my cherry popped with a DP who, though good, hasn't laid hands on one of these AFs either.

Leave a comment:

• Barry_Green
    replied
    Originally posted by steadihut View Post
    I just got my AF100 from B&H and Barry's book came with it. Wow, what a gold mine it is.
    Glad you like it!

Leave a comment:

• Barry_Green
    replied
    Originally posted by tired View Post
    any word on an AUS distributor yet - or should I order from Amazon?
    No dealers in Aus have signed on to become distribs, which is disappointing. At this point, yeah, just go with Amazon...

Leave a comment:

• Barry_Green
    replied
    Originally posted by Kenny_G View Post
    What options do one have if the book is not in the box?
    If it's an official USA model, either the book will be in the box or, if it was one from the first month or two of manufacture, there will be a mail-in redemption coupon for a free copy.

If it's made after February and there's no book in the box, that pretty much ensures that it is gray market, meaning it is not an official USA model and therefore there is no warranty coverage in the USA and it is not entitled to a free copy of the book. You could always order one off Amazon at that point.

Leave a comment:

• steadihut
    replied
    I just got my AF100 from B&H and Barry's book came with it. Wow, what a gold mine it is.

Leave a comment:

• tired
    replied
    any word on an AUS distributor yet - or should I order from Amazon?

Leave a comment:

• Kenny_G
    replied
    What options do one have if the book is not in the box?

Leave a comment:

• Barry_Green
    replied
    I don't know those lenses to know what the relative quality is, but I certainly can say that the 24-70 focal range is far more appropriate as a general-purpose lens than 70-200 is. If the retail prices are comparable and the image fidelity is comparable, then I'd definitely prefer having the 24-70 instead of the 70-200... unless you're a wildlife shooter...

Leave a comment:

• dtzfilms
    replied
    Forgive my ignorance, I'm a screenwriter with a AF100.
    I've done a lot of stupid things in my life so now I ask around first.

An acquaintance of mine wants to trade his nikon 24-70mm f2.8 for my 70-200mm/f2.8 VR.
    I popped the 70-200mm beast on the AF100 at Abel Cine and boy, I can't imagine narrative scenarios
    where I'd be using that, except for maybe a sniper scope at an adjacent high-rise. Both lens are nearly brand new.

Good trade for me?

Leave a comment:

• dtzfilms
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan_Crittenden View Post
    It is most definitely in the box unless it is a gray market product. If you have the name of the sales person at B & H that said that would you PM me, and we'll help him figure it out.

Best,

Jan
    Even the staff at Abel Cine answered likewise. Not in box. If you look on B and H site and look at what's in the box - it doesn't list Barry's book. But I'll call B&H tomorrow and speak to another sales person and PM you. Thanks JC.

Leave a comment:

• dtzfilms
    replied
    Thanks for the link, Barry.
    An acquaintance of mine wants to trade his nikon 24-70mm f2.8 for my 70-200mm/f2.8 VR.
    I popped the 70-200mm beast on the AF100 at Abel Cine and boy, I can't imagine narrative scenarios
    where I'd be using that, except for maybe a sniper scope at an adjacent high-rise. Both lens are nearly brand new.

Good trade for me?
    At Abel Cine, my 85mm 1.4 even had slight Chromatic Aberration - that I didn't spot, the tech did - I don't care about that, CA won't affect
    my narrative, but I'm thinking the trade would even make the 85mm somewhat obsolete. I'm guessing, but I'd like to be making an informed decision here, because otherwise I was going sell the 70-200mm to get the Voightlander25mm/f0.98 and the Noktor50mm f0.98. I'm all about saving on lighting packages and shooting narratives with practical lights. Expensive lens but they save money later on.

Leave a comment:

• Jan_Crittenden
    replied
    It is most definitely in the box unless it is a gray market product. If you have the name of the sales person at B & H that said that would you PM me, and we'll help him figure it out.

Best,

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Barry_Green
    replied
    It's most definitely in the box. Whoever said it wasn't, is wrong. It's in the box in all USA shipments.

For the workshop in L.A., go here:
    http://www.abelcine.com/store/The-AF...y-Barry-Green/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X