Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once the card is formated in the camera you don't need to reformat it again unless you encounter a scenario like loss of power.

I copy the whole folder over to the computer just as referenced in the first post. If you don't you will lose all your metadata. I found this out the hard way because at first I just assumed it was like working with files off of my 7d.

Panasonic Gold are the best in my opinion because of the technology that's in them.

What I want is a card reader that will give me faster than 30mb/s transfer!
    Last edited by 1dog Studios; 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM.
    Shawn
    1dog Studios
    Saskatchewan
    Panasonic GH2, AF100

Comment

Just a little reminder. Data-wise my Lexars are great, but physically they've taken a beating, and I don't even know how... so store them in their little protective cases (or better, I bought a little Pelican case) whenever they're not in the camera or a reader.
      Lots of toys... that I barely know how to turn on

Comment

Originally posted by mkfotos.com View Post
        Just a little reminder. Data-wise my Lexars are great, but physically they've taken a beating, and I don't even know how... so store them in their little protective cases (or better, I bought a little Pelican case) whenever they're not in the camera or a reader.
        I have found my PNY card to look a little worse for wear, all my Panny gold cards look great though. I keep mine only in the camera or my pelican SD card case as well. Part of the reason I ordered more Panny cards recently when getting more cards for the AF100 No data problems on either my PNY or my Pannys after over 100 hours though.
        Panasonic AF100 w/ Adaptimax Plus Nikon Mount
        Atomos Samurai w/ 2x Intel 120gb SSDs
        Nikon Mount Lenses:
        - 11-16mm f/2.8 - 20mm f/3.5 - 24mm f/2.8 - 28mm f/2.8 - 35mm f/1.4 - 50mm f/1.4 - 50mm f/2 - 85mm f/1.4 - 135mm f/2.8 - 200mm f/4 -
        Other Lenses:
        - Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6, Fujia 35mm f/1.4

sigpic

Comment

I use that tough little pelican case that can hold like 16 of them. I am using all Transcends and have had NO issue at all with any footage. I also love that the SD cards have a write lock on them. I use this procedure:

1) Out of camera put lock on immediately.
          2) Once I dump footage, *I* disengage the lock.

This way, if I ever have a locked card, no matter what, I dump it again just in case.
          formerly know as grimepoch.

Comment

Anyone know of a method to test a SD card and verify it is o.k for use?

eg. Error Check the card and test its transfer speeds etc.

One way...I can record a heap of clips to it and do a little workflow ...but hoping there may be an application or procedure that checks SD cards / media.
            www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter View Post
              Anyone know of a method to test a SD card and verify it is o.k for use?

eg. Error Check the card and test its transfer speeds etc.

One way...I can record a heap of clips to it and do a little workflow ...but hoping there may be an application or procedure that checks SD cards / media.
              I believe Barry said Panasonic has something on the way (as well as more "pro" cards.)

Comment

Try h2testw, it's what I used on my cards. Speed, 'surface' testing, etc.

http://fightflashfraud.wordpress.com...apacity-flash/
                Last edited by mkfotos.com; 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM.
                Lots of toys... that I barely know how to turn on

Comment

Originally posted by mkfotos.com View Post
                  Try h2testw, it's what I used on my cards. Speed, 'surface' testing, etc.

http://fightflashfraud.wordpress.com...apacity-flash/
                  Is there anything like this for us OSX people?
                  Nikon Mount Lenses:
                  - 11-16mm f/2.8 - 20mm f/3.5 - 24mm f/2.8 - 28mm f/2.8 - 35mm f/1.4 - 50mm f/1.4 - 50mm f/2 - 85mm f/1.4 - 135mm f/2.8 - 200mm f/4 -
                  Other Lenses:

sigpic

Comment

SanDisk Extreme HDV and Lexar Pro 133x

Has anyone validated the newer SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC and Lexar Professional 133x SDXC cards with the AG-AF100? The SanDisk is Class 6, and the Lexar is Class 10. The minor risk is that both these lines are relatively new, and the Lexar is SDXC for large 64-128GB capacity. Thanks for the confirmation!

Comment

Originally posted by maxusa View Post
                      Has anyone validated the newer SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC and Lexar Professional 133x SDXC cards with the AG-AF100? The SanDisk is Class 6, and the Lexar is Class 10. The minor risk is that both these lines are relatively new, and the Lexar is SDXC for large 64-128GB capacity. Thanks for the confirmation!
                      I have not, but for only a five dollar difference between the 8gig scandisk cards at Adorama and the 8gig panny cards at B and H, and with the Panasonic cards being class 10 compared to class six for the scandisk, the Panasonic Gold Class 10 card seems like a better deal... not to mention I trust panny SD cards more with my AF100... for work my money is riding on, I turn to the cards made by the same people making the camera... worth the extra couple bucks, and a steal when you look back at what we paid for P2.
                      Nikon Mount Lenses:
                      Other Lenses:

sigpic

Comment

Oliver, I understand what you mean and agree with the general notion that several dollars are not going to make a significant difference. However, my exercise mostly relates to large capacity SDHC and SDXC cards. With increased capacity, Panasonic SDHC C10 prices ramp up very quickly; at the high end, Panasonic is 2.5X~3.7X more expensive than SanDisk and Lexar. It is not "extra couple bucks" any more. On top of that, large capacity Panasonic SDHC cards are in short supply (out of stock) at most e-tailers. To demonstrate the point, here is the listing taken today from both vendors mentioned:

Vendor A
                        Panasonic SDXC C10 64GB $449
                        Panasonic SDXC C10 48GB $324
                        Panasonic SDHC C10 32GB $239
                        Panasonic SDHC C10 16GB $85
                        Panasonic SDHC C10 8GB $38
                        Panasonic SDHC C10 4GB $18
                        SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC C10 32GB $98
                        SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC C6 16GB $49
                        SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC C10 8GB $25
                        SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC C6 4GB $15
                        Lexar Professional 133x SDXC C10 128GB $249
                        Lexar Professional 133x SDXC C10 64GB $130

Vendor B
                        Panasonic SDXC C10 64GB $449 (Temp Unavail)
                        Panasonic SDXC C10 48GB $??? (Discontinued)
                        Panasonic SDHC C10 32GB $240 (No Stock)
                        Panasonic SDHC C10 16GB $80
                        Panasonic SDHC C10 8GB $30
                        Panasonic SDHC C10 4GB $19
                        SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC C10 32GB $98
                        SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC C6 16GB $49
                        SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC C10 8GB $25
                        SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC C6 4GB $15
                        Lexar Professional 133x SDXC C10 128GB $250 (Temp Unavail)
                        Lexar Professional 133x SDXC C10 64GB $121 (No Stock)

For large capacity, the mentioned SanDisk and Lexar cards may be a viable alternative to the Panasonic cards. Hence my curiosity if anyone can validate these specific cards' proper operation in the AF100.
                        Last edited by maxusa; 04-25-2011, 01:10 AM.

Comment

I picked up a SanDisk 32 GB SDHC Extreme Pro card at Amazon a couple of months ago for $150. It's worked fine with my GH2 so far with 1080/24 & 720/60 as well as 720/30 MJPEG. I believe it's a class 10 equivalent (rated at 45 MB/s).

Comment

hi guys i have one 16gb panny gold card and was thinking of getting a 32gb card however its very expensive and im stretched at the moment. my question is this, if i getsay a 32gb lexar professional card, would it be a problem using two different brands of card (the panny and the lexar) with my af100? I ask as I am knew to this format and I know with mini dv tapes it was highly recommended you use the same brand. Thanks Taras

Comment

No, no problems.
                              The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

THG just put out an article measuring performance of some SDHC and SDXC cards. No Panasonic in the mix and only a single 64GB card, but an interesting review nonetheless.

10 SDXC/SDHC Memory Cards, Rounded Up And Benchmarked

A point to look after is sequential write performance, especially minimum. This is arguably the single most critical factor in measuring storage fit for digital content acquisition. We can pretty much ignore fastest peak read speeds, as they are only helpful for quick uploads. Interestingly, SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I regarded by many dropped to 0.8 MB/s as a minimum write throughput. If this happens while recording footage, it may spell trouble unless a camcorder can buffer/cache or somehow compensate for such blackout.

EDIT: I ran a test on the Lexar Professional 133x SDXC C10 64GB in a USB 3.0 card reader. Read is pretty much 23.6 MB/s across the entire medium. Write is 10-12 MB/s, average 10.8 MB/s. Class 10 throughput confirmed. For those interested, I bought it for $121 ($1.89/GB).

lexar_64gb.jpg
                                Last edited by maxusa; 05-24-2011, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X