Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was in Nepal last year I had 100% results with both Panasonic class 10 Gold 16gb SDHC cards and SanDisc Extreme class 10 16gb SDHC cards.......but a major disaster with a Kingston Class 10 16gb SDHC card. I loaded it into the GH1 all appeared to be cool, shot about 1 hour of stuff in the game park, powered it down, went to dinner then decided to check out days shoot, alas powered it up "Card Error. Check your SD card" Have tried all sorts of rescue software, NO LUCK. I have since read somewhere on this forum maybe I should have formatted the card in camera before shooting, mind you I have never done this with any other new SDHC card before. Cards are cheap now, I'll be sticking with Pana Golds or The Sandiscs.

Comment

I've been using the Transcend 64GB SDXC cards with no issues on both the GH2 and AF100. Insanely low prices, check out:

$169 in the US at Amazon and Ebay...

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transcend-64GB-S...ht_2032wt_1136

Yes... you could spend double to triple the cash for other brands, but why?
      Transcend is getting solid reviews on Amazon and is the #1 seller of 16GB Class 10 media, plus has a lifetime warranty...

I am put off by the fact the camera companies are OK not including at least 64GB on-board memory which they should have built-in in this day for $169 !

Comment

Originally posted by J Bellari View Post
        I've been using the Transcend 64GB SDXC cards with no issues on both the GH2 and AF100. Insanely low prices, check out:

$169 in the US at Amazon and Ebay...

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transcend-64GB-S...ht_2032wt_1136

Yes... you could spend double to triple the cash for other brands, but why?
        Transcend is getting solid reviews on Amazon and is the #1 seller of 16GB Class 10 media, plus has a lifetime warranty...

I am put off by the fact the camera companies are OK not including at least 64GB on-board memory which they should have built-in in this day for $169 !
        You have heard about all the counterfeit SD cards on ebay. It is a HUGE problem. No matter what card you buy, buy it from an authorized reseller. Just google counterfeit SD cards or fake SD cards, and you will find ALOT of complaints.

Also, a warranty on even a $500 dollar card means nothing when your footage from your days work dies with the card.
        Panasonic AF100 w/ Adaptimax Plus Nikon Mount
        Atomos Samurai w/ 2x Intel 120gb SSDs
        Nikon Mount Lenses:
        - 11-16mm f/2.8 - 20mm f/3.5 - 24mm f/2.8 - 28mm f/2.8 - 35mm f/1.4 - 50mm f/1.4 - 50mm f/2 - 85mm f/1.4 - 135mm f/2.8 - 200mm f/4 -
        Other Lenses:
        - Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6, Fujia 35mm f/1.4

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver Rush View Post
          You have heard about all the counterfeit SD cards on ebay. It is a HUGE problem. No matter what card you buy, buy it from an authorized reseller. Just google counterfeit SD cards or fake SD cards, and you will find ALOT of complaints.

Also, a warranty on even a $500 dollar card means nothing when your footage from your days work dies with the card.
          The Transcend ones I bought at $169 are legit- simply register right away with Transcend and you'll know...

It's Always a good idea to backup frequently- no arguements from me there, whether you have footage on a cheapie $99 point and shoot or $500 card for an AF100 ... for that matter, there's no guarantee your camera will not malfunction- so I always shoot with 2 cameras or bring a backup just in case ... And I am no stranger to data recovery, it is NOT the end of the world, if your data is worth it, you'll pay a grand to get it recovered... period.

My workhorses are two Transcend 64GB SDXC cards, yet I backup between breaks anyway whether I shot 3-4 hours straight, or simply an hour ...

I notice having the 64GB allows me to always roll till the battery dies on the GH2, and I stop worrying about SPACE remaining- it fits an entire day if I need it- I now only think about battery swaps. Essentially, treat it like 64GB on-board memory...

BTW, the statistical likelihood of data failure is higher juggling four 16GB cards, than a single larger card which rarely is removed from the body except at the end of the shooting day if at all...

I know everybody has different workflows and tolerances for data management, but the 64GB SDXC cards allow me to concentrate more on shooting than disk space, and has been fine with me to date...

Comment

I wish we could write duplicate out to two cards, as I do understand not wanting to lose something.
            This is a great idea... I get paranoid about dependency on technology sometimes, and there are some things in life that are not repeatable... The option to write simultaneously to two slots would be a really nice menu addition...

Comment

Anyone tried to use one SDHC card in one slot and one SDXC card in the other? Any issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Furtado View Post
                Like someone said earlier, the 8GB Panasonic Gold Class 10 cards can be had for $35 out there. That's practically at the point where you can shoot and hand off the card to the client. I always like to copy them over for my own archival and backup. But that becomes the point where you can hand off the car as a disposable item! Considering a year ago it was $1k for a 16GB P2 card...I think SD has finally arrived in that price/cost ratio that really fits its place in the market.

Also remember, we have 2 slots on the AF100. That's 90 minutes! If i have to shoot over that WITHOUT being able to change cards, i'll know it ahead of time..
                Check out JR Music 29.99 8 gb class 10 http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_RPSDW08GU1K/
                I got some recently for 24.99
                I almost never use larger than 8gb and often use 4gb. I've been using some of the fuji high performance cards and they seem to be good as well.

Comment

I cannot record in VFR mode with my SanDisk Extreme Class 10 card. Until I figure out why this is, I wouldn't recommend purchasing one.

Comment

Have you tried another card, a different brand perhaps? And where did you purchase your SanDisk from? There are cards floating around out there that may not be what they say on the sticker.
                    Stephen Mick
                    Owner/Creative Director
                    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Comment

I don't have any other cards that are higher than a class 4. I'll have to check best buy tomorrow in the hopes they'll have a class 10.

I bought it off of Amazon. It records in PH mode just fine, but when I turn on VFR it says it cannot record onto the card. and the red "R 0h00m" flashes on the display and record lamps.

Comment

So…I just popped a Transcend Class 6 SD Card into my AF-100 and was able to record a 60-frame VFR clip without issue. Based on that, I'd guess there may be something wrong with your card, or perhaps it isn't nearly as fast as advertised on the sticker.
                        Stephen Mick
                        Owner/Creative Director
                        Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Comment

Originally posted by Igelkott Film View Post
                          How about Transcend?
                          I started shooting tapeless in August of 2009. Since that time I had 3 Transcend (16GB, class 6) and one Lexar failure. All failures with Transcend were in mildly cold conditions- about 20-25F, which really is not cold at all. Lexar died in the desert in about 95F. All failures were total and no footage could be recovered. I was shooting for 2 documentaries and it made me looks like a total amateur- sorry guys no summit footage as my card died in cold. Ever since I am only using Sandisc Extreme III (16GB class 6) and I also have one gold Panasonic 32GB class 6. I mostly use 16GB, just because if the card dies you loose less. I keep 32 GB if I am filming something longer.

Comment

Originally posted by diputsboy View Post
                            I cannot record in VFR mode with my SanDisk Extreme Class 10 card. Until I figure out why this is, I wouldn't recommend purchasing one.
                            If you truly have a card that says SanDisk Extreme Class 10 on it, and the camera says it cannot record VFR onto that card, then I can almost guarantee you that you have a counterfeit card. Google "counterfeit SDHC card" or "counterfeit CompactFlash card" and you'll find tons of stories of just how widespread this problem is, and how realistic-looking those cards can be. We just had a member here last week ask the same question, and it turned out that his two cards he'd bought were counterfeit.

Another reason why when you hear complaints of card failures of any particular brand, you're gonna have to take them with a little bit of a grain of salt because there's really not all that much you can do to verify whether the person complaining had a legitimate card or a fake.
                            The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

agreed. its very likely i have a counterfeit card. i'd avoid amazon.com marketplace sellers, if i were to amend my recommendation.

i purchased a panasonic class 10 card to verify that it is, in fact, the card thats an issue.

Comment

Can you hot-swap a fresh card into one of the sdxc slots in the AF100 while it is recording?

Comment

Working...
                                X