Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being able to have two 64gb cards and not worry about changing out cards anymore is great. However $500 for a single panasonic card isn't ideal for the AF100's market.

I am looking at the three other main SDXC manufacturers. Sandisk, Kingston, and Patriot. The Sandisk says class 4 but write speed 15meg/sec, is this definitly not fast enough for variable frame rates?

What about the Kingston Technology SD6A/64GB 64GB Secure Digital Extended-Capacity Card (Class 6) 15MB/Sec. 100x Write $230
    and the Patriot LX Series 64 GB SDXC Class 10 Flash Memory Card $230 cards? They are class 6, and pretty reputable brands I think. Anyone want to weigh in on using these cards with AF100 and variable frame rate?

Comment

A little less obscene than Panny's: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1101/11...b128gbsdxc.asp
      Lots of toys... that I barely know how to turn on

Comment

90 minutes on a 16gb card is excellent.
        I wouldn't recommend to go bigger than that unless absolutely necessary.
        Sometimes it's safer to switch cards and at this price point very feasible. 3 x 16gb = 4,5 hours!!!

The Lexar 133x looks like a safe bargain!
        alex da silva www.aleprod.com

Comment

Originally posted by alexdias View Post
          Sometimes it's safer to switch cards and at this price point very feasible. 3 x 16gb = 4,5 hours!!!

B&H was selling 32GB Class 10 Lexar Professional SDHC cards for about $85 recently. They upped the price to $90. Still a reasonably good deal for such well-recommended cards.
          There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. -Bruce Ediger

SLR'd WRDS

Comment

Originally posted by alexdias View Post

Originally posted by Petros Kolyvas View Post
            B&H was selling 32GB Class 10 Lexar Professional SDHC cards for about $85 recently. They upped the price to $90. Still a reasonably good deal for such well-recommended cards.
            Just received 4 X 16GB Lexars from JR. Running speed and 'surface' testing using h2testw right now. The first card is maintaining a 13.4-13.5MB/s speed (effectively Class 13), or >107Mbps, well over twice (thrice?) what the AF100 needs even in VFR mode.

Comment

First of all I would not use any card over 16GB, that's plenty of time, plus you have 2 of them. I will not use Transcend, Lexar or any of the lower price point cards. They simply will fail you and most likely they will fail at the most critical moment. I had (so far) 3 cards fail in about 18 month- all footage lost! You will be kicking yourself for not spending a few extra $$$ on a reliable cards like Sandisc. JVC recommended Transcend, but honestly they suck. I also had Lexar fail as well- so I would not recommend them as well.

Comment

I've been using 4 Lexar Professional x133 16GB SD Cards with no issue so far. They work great with overcranking. Can't say the same for my Transcend 16GB cards. None have died on me yet, but I had a scare when shooting stills with one on the GH1. It was taking a long time to write a photo to the card, then when I hit the playback button, it gave me an error message and would not display any of the photos that were on the card. Taking the card out and letting it "rest" for a bit seemed to do the fix the issue. But definitely not bulletproof.
                Eidolon Films
                The Guardians - Coming in 2018

Comment

Originally posted by robertrogoz View Post
                  First of all I would not use any card over 16GB, that's plenty of time, plus you have 2 of them. I will not use Transcend, Lexar or any of the lower price point cards. They simply will fail you and most likely they will fail at the most critical moment. I had (so far) 3 cards fail in about 18 month- all footage lost! You will be kicking yourself for not spending a few extra $$$ on a reliable cards like Sandisc. JVC recommended Transcend, but honestly they suck. I also had Lexar fail as well- so I would not recommend them as well.
                  Well all card manufacturers fail, just look at reviews on B&H or Amazon. Every single one has failure reports. And I would not say Lexar is cheap, they are about $50 a piece for the 16GB vs. $25 a piece for Transcend. Not as high as SanDisk extreme, but certainly not lower end.
                  Eidolon Films

Comment

Originally posted by EidolonFilms View Post
                    Well all card manufacturers fail, just look at reviews on B&H or Amazon. Every single one has failure reports. And I would not say Lexar is cheap, they are about $50 a piece for the 16GB vs. $25 a piece for Transcend. Not as high as SanDisk extreme, but certainly not lower end.
                    Yes I know that, but some are more prone to failure. Transcend were $48 when they first hit the market, so they were not cheap cards by any means. If you read the reviews from B&H (I don't buy from Amazon as they suck imo, but that's a different story all thogether) even Hoodman claim of zero failures is bogus. However like I stated after shooting literally hundreds of hours tapeless for since July 2009 I pretty much stick with Sandiscs only. Also it's funny that you guys just bought 5K cameras and you are penny pinching on the least reliable part of the system- which are cards. Reminds me of the guys who will spend a lot of money on camera, but they try to save later on good sticks or mics- not a good way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                      Cheaping out on media is, IMO, profoundly foolish. I know there are folks that will say I'm "falling for marketing" but -- even if I am, I don't care. It's pennies in the grand scheme of things, whereas if it helps avoid a disaster, it's the cheapest and most valuable insurance I can think of. I would prefer P2 just for this reason alone, but since the AF100 doesn't use P2, I'm at least going to expend every effort and every necessary dollar to get the most reliable cards that I can possibly find. And so far, for me, that means Panasonic Gold, SanDisk Extreme, and Lexar Professional
                      Yes I know that, but some are more prone to failure. Transcend were $48 when they first hit the market, so they were not cheap cards by any means. If you read the reviews from B&H (I don't buy from Amazon as they suck imo, but that's a different story all thogether) even Hoodman claim of zero failures is bogus. However like I stated after shooting literally hundreds of hours tapeless for since July 2009 I pretty much stick with Sandiscs only. Also it's funny that you guys just bought 5K cameras and you are penny pinching on the least reliable part of the system- which are cards. Reminds me of the guys who will spend a lot of money on camera, but they try to save later on good sticks or mics- not a good way to go.
                      If it's recommended by Barry and many pros here, it's good enough for me.

Comment

Ok, that's fine if you have a good experience with sandisk. I went with Lexar as it was one of the brands Barry suggested. And I still wouldn't say we are cheaping out.
                        Eidolon Films

Comment

I love how everyone is wanting to try and save $10 or $20 on the cards. Am I the only one remembering paying over $500 for a 16gb P2 card? I remember finding my 3x8gb cards used for $350 and myself running to buy them in cash, and feeling like I got a hell of a deal. Frankly, in the long run whatever the card costs does not matter. I would rather pay more for the card and not end up looking like an ******* when a card fails. I am going to buy the panasonic cards for whatever they are and be happy with them. Any SD card price is a steal compared to the other media we have been using over the past 4 years, so just buy the best and have no regrets later.
                          Last edited by Oliver Rush; 01-19-2011, 07:47 AM.
                          Panasonic AF100 w/ Adaptimax Plus Nikon Mount
                          Atomos Samurai w/ 2x Intel 120gb SSDs
                          Nikon Mount Lenses:
                          - 11-16mm f/2.8 - 20mm f/3.5 - 24mm f/2.8 - 28mm f/2.8 - 35mm f/1.4 - 50mm f/1.4 - 50mm f/2 - 85mm f/1.4 - 135mm f/2.8 - 200mm f/4 -
                          Other Lenses:
                          - Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6, Fujia 35mm f/1.4

sigpic

Comment

I finished testing my Lexar Pro cards last night. Dead-on, consistent 13.4MBs writes and 15MBs reads. Used the official SD card formatter on each card after the tests: http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

Comment

My transcends, 2 16Gb class 6 and 1 32Gb class 10 have been working flawlessly as well. Will probably pick up a few more 16s as spares.
                              formerly know as grimepoch.

Comment

Like someone said earlier, the 8GB Panasonic Gold Class 10 cards can be had for $35 out there. That's practically at the point where you can shoot and hand off the card to the client. I always like to copy them over for my own archival and backup. But that becomes the point where you can hand off the car as a disposable item! Considering a year ago it was $1k for a 16GB P2 card...I think SD has finally arrived in that price/cost ratio that really fits its place in the market.

Also remember, we have 2 slots on the AF100. That's 90 minutes! If i have to shoot over that WITHOUT being able to change cards, i'll know it ahead of time..
                                www.jonfilms.com
                                jonfilms(at)me.com
                                Follow me:
                                Twitter: http://twitter.com/jonfilms
                                facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/jonfilms/124719134214199
                                Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/jonfurtado
                                LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...43&trk=tab_pro

Comment

Working...
                                X