Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I re-use cards all the time. When a card is full I copy content to my Apple book, after that a back-up is being made to external disk, by that time I have two copies, in the meantime I continue shooting on another card, when that card is full cards are changed in the Apple book and I continue that routine till end of the day so basically I've been shooting for one year now using two GH1 and 4 SD cards. I use Lexar and Sandisk only and never had a read/write problem.

Comment

I started with 6 of the blue Patriot 16GB Class 6 cards ( I still have 4 of these, sold 2 of them with gear ), then bought one of the Patriot IRIS 32GB Class 6 cards, and two weeks later bought 3 more. So 8 cards in total, all working with no problems.

I borrowed a friend's Patriot LX 16GB Class 10 card to test it out, and it benchmarked ( using the ATTO Drive Bench ) slightly faster than my other cards:

Patriot Blue Class 6 : 13 MB/sec Write / 20 MB/sec READ

Patriot IRIS Class 6 : 18 MB/sec Write / 20 MB/sec READ

Patriot LX Class 10 : 19 MB/sec Write / 20 MB/sec READ

Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
      Patriot cards have been 50/50 for me. I have a 16gig class 6 card that works great, but I had a 32 gig class 10 card that I didn't like and was actually slower than the 16 gig class 6. The 16 gig is still going strong and is the card I currently use in my GoPro HD Hero, and the 32 gig I sold after owning it for 2 weeks and I took a 50% hit on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDingo View Post
        I started with 6 of the blue Patriot 16GB Class 6 cards ( I still have 4 of these, sold 2 of them with gear ), then bought one of the Patriot IRIS 32GB Class 6 cards, and two weeks later bought 3 more. So 8 cards in total, all working with no problems.

I borrowed a friend's Patriot LX 16GB Class 10 card to test it out, and it benchmarked ( using the ATTO Drive Bench ) slightly faster than my other cards:

Patriot Blue Class 6 : 13 MB/sec Write / 20 MB/sec READ

Patriot IRIS Class 6 : 18 MB/sec Write / 20 MB/sec READ

Patriot LX Class 10 : 19 MB/sec Write / 20 MB/sec READ
        I had the Blue Class 6 16gig one and it was faster than my black LX Class 10 32gig one. I heard the 16gig class 10's are a lot faster than the 32 class 10's so you are probably right with your test. I got the Class 10 from a reputable dealer so I know it was the real deal and not a fake. All I know is it couldn't record the 1080 mode in my GoPro Hero HD without it messing up as well as my GH1(3) at as high of bitrates as the blue class 6 one could. I replaced it with the Sandisk Extreme 32gig class 10 card which so far has been able to handle anything I've thrown at it, even over 1 min of GH1(3) footage at around 108 mpbs. My opinion is Patriot cards are all over the board and their quality is inconsistent when it comes to speed which means they are probably inconsistent with reliability as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
          My opinion is Patriot cards are all over the board and their quality is inconsistent when it comes to speed which means they are probably inconsistent with reliability as well.
          My experience has been the exact opposite. If you are having issues with a card, I recommend downloading the ATTO Drive bench ( it's free ) and testing to see if you have a defective card.

Comment

Hey, so I bought a Duracell 16GB Class 10 SDHC card yesterday at Futureshop, it was on sale for $30. Has anyone had experience with this brand before? I realize it's certainly not a name you associate with SD media, but I was looking for a deal.

I won't be shooting anything important on the AF100 for the first couple months, as I'm heading into a prodution using 16mm film, but before I do shoot something important should I really get a Panasonic or SanDIsk?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Sharpe View Post
              Hey, so I bought a Duracell 16GB Class 10 SDHC card yesterday at Futureshop, it was on sale for $30. Has anyone had experience with this brand before? I realize it's certainly not a name you associate with SD media, but I was looking for a deal.

I won't be shooting anything important on the AF100 for the first couple months, as I'm heading into a prodution using 16mm film, but before I do shoot something important should I really get a Panasonic or SanDIsk?
              Yes, that was a steal - sold out almost immediately. I don't know about the quality of the cards but I have a couple of 4GB Duracell Class 4s and they've been reliable for over a year in a Sound Devices unit.
              There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. -Bruce Ediger

SLR'd WRDS

Comment

So where do we see what speeds we need for overcranking and such? I say this because I see read/write speeds all over the place regardless of what class they are.
                formerly know as grimepoch.

Comment

The "class" is a guaranteed minimum write speed, in megabytes. Class 4 is minimum 4 megabytes sustained write speed; Class 6 is minimum 6 megabytes write speed.

The AF100 in overcrank goes up to as high as 35 megabits per second, which means it requires a Class 6 card.

Any of these cards may (and frequently do) exceed the minimum speeds; that's how you can have a scenario where a Class 4 is technically faster than a Class 6; back when there was no Class 6, Class 4 used to be the highest rating, so some cards got rated as Class 4 even though they were way faster. But nowadays we have 6 and 10, and the camera requires 6 at least. It will check the speed rating of the card (not the actual throughput speed, but the card's speed classification) before letting you record overcranked footage.
                  The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Okay, that is what I was wanting to know. Given my AF100 should be shipping to me in a few days I imagine, I need to go ahead and order some media Nothing like waiting till the last minute. I have all these CF cards that just aren't going to do anything for me.

Comment

As a follow on question, if I am using a class-10 card, what is a good reader? Not finding a lot of good resources yet.

Edit: Seems that the Lexar professional 2 in 1 reader gets some great reviews. I have the Lexar FW800 CF reader and it has been flawless so I think I'll try this reader (and can probably get rid of the FW800 if the CF is close to the same read times)
                      Last edited by Rick Burnett; 12-27-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

i need some advice if anyone could help me. i have bought two 16gb panasonic golds after hearing how they will be fast and reliable. now that its boxing week, future shop here has lexar platinum II 8gb cards at class 6 for 20cdn. they seem like good cards and lexar knows what theyre doing i think. i cant decide if they will be ok or not. any suggestions? thanks!

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lexar-platinum-ii-8gb-sdhc-class-6-memory-card/10106867.aspx?path=40e7bbb6283fe11acc85ca8e7410ae5 3en02
                        Last edited by danielc; 12-28-2010, 11:51 AM. Reason: wrong link

Comment

Originally posted by Petros Kolyvas View Post
                          Yes, that was a steal - sold out almost immediately. I don't know about the quality of the cards but I have a couple of 4GB Duracell Class 4s and they've been reliable for over a year in a Sound Devices unit.
                          Ya I was lucky, I went at the end of the day and they appeared to be out, but I asked an employee and he found one lying face down on the floor

I also was wondering about the Lexar Class 6 cards, as I saw them there and was thinking of getting one if they were out of the Duracells. Might go get some later this week if their worth it.

Comment

Well I bought 2 transcend 16GB class 6 cards and 1 transcend 32GB class 10 card. I bought the 16s because they've received excellent reviews everywhere I have looked and read. The 32GB do not seem to have a lot written specifically about them, but what the hell, I'll try it and be a guinea pig It was cheap enough.

Comment

I wound up going with four of the smaller 8gig Panasonic Gold cards for about $24 ea... to start. They hold about 45 minutes of footage... that's more than a Betacam tape and a bit less than a DV tape. I think this will work for me as I rarely have filled a tape in a shooting day. Besides, I don't want to have gobs of footage to sort through from a lot of projects... I feel safer having a couple of backups on hard drives than hanging out on SD cards. With the four cards, I still get three hours of continuous recording should I need to shoot a corporate meeting or the like.... not likely though.
                              http://www.vimeo.com/daleanthonysmith
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/multimed...ature=mhee#p/a

AF100, GH1(pair), Lumix Lenses: 20mm, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 100-300mm Nikon Lenses: 55mm macro f3.5, 50mm f1.4
                              CS5 workstation 24gb RAM, ProAim Mattebox w/ 4" filters, CobraCrain Jib w/motor pan/tilt on Quickset Herculese jibpod

Comment

We definitely overshoot, I typically fill a 32G card per day. Mostly though, this was for dealing with my 7D and moire. It would be nice to shoot a little less footage.

Comment

Working...
                                X