Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seconding OKCPicker's question...anyone have a recommendation for a reliable external SDHC card reader?

Comment

I'm using the Lexar with the dual CF/SDHC from their pro line, works great.
      formerly know as grimepoch.

Comment

I ordered 4 Lexar 64gb cards from B&H. It says 133x. is that equivalent to class 10?
        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...DXC_133x_.html

Comment

The Card shows 10 on it. It is a class 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_G View Post
            I ordered 4 Lexar 64gb cards from B&H. It says 133x. is that equivalent to class 10?
            The "x" numbers are meaningless as far as how the card will perform. It could say 999x and still not work. The only thing that matters is the Speed Class. The card must be a Class 4 for normal footage, and a Class 6 for variable-frame-rate footage.

The "133x" and "266x" type of numbers are just marketing and are supposed to refer to the very best-case, fastest possible performance a card can deliver. Which doesn't matter, because the only thing that matters is the absolute minimum that the card can deliver, and whether or not the minimum is "good enough". The "Class" rating is a rating of the minimum sustained write performance. It is the baseline guarantee. The "133x" is an optimistic wildest-dreams best-case-scenario ranking, which is of course largel wishful thinking and doesn't let you know whether the card will perform consistently and throughly.

So ignore the "x" rating and instead focus solely on the Class rating. That's what the camera is going to look at to determine whether it will work or not.
            The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Burnett View Post
              I'm using the Lexar with the dual CF/SDHC from their pro line, works great.
              Hey Rick, does that Lexar read SDXC cards as well?
              -----------------------------------------------------
              I.N.A.T.E. - I.A.T.S.

Comment

I believe so, although I have only tested to 32GB on it.
                formerly know as grimepoch.

Comment

J&R are definitely legit.

Comment

Originally posted by boo View Post
                    J&R are definitely legit.
                    +1

Bought my 4 X 16GB from them, and every card was better than rated.
                    Lots of toys... that I barely know how to turn on

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                      D) When formatting the card, only ever format the card in-camera. Don't format the card on the computer; computer formatting will not be SDHC-compliant (unless you download and use the SD Card Formatter program, a free download on Panasonic's site). Always format the card in-camera. And you should definitely format the card before first use, and whenever it's been used by any other type of device.
                      Barry:

Thanks for posting this key point!!! I just got a GH1 and have been getting errors. May I suggest you add to this sticky a link to the SD Associations formatting program and manual at: http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

Panasonic now points to this website for formatting. I see that Transend offers a formatting tool that they claim can help recover data.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Bill -- I have updated the first post in this thread to point to the SD Card Association's formatting program.
                        The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                          Thanks Bill -- I have updated the first post in this thread to point to the SD Card Association's formatting program.
                          You're welcome. I couldn't figure out why every SDHC card I tried in my GH1 had write errors when recording video until I read that post. I figured if a card was FAT32 compatible you could use a computer to format it. And thanks for taking the time to respond!!

Comment

Yeah, it's confusing and that situation bites a lot of folks. I now put in my books about, I don't know, eight times or so -- "format the cards IN CAMERA" so hopefully folks will realize that yeah, it's an issue and you definitely don't want to go formatting them in-computer unless you have the special card-formatting software.

Sigh, tapeless was supposed to make things easier, wasn't it?

Comment

SD Formatter instead of camera formatting.

It is important to me to have a Loader (that is a person) download the SD cards and give them back to me ready to record on; I don't want to stop the shoot to format an SD card. This is, in part, because I've never had to do that in any other format that I've shot on (which is nearly all of them).

So:

Is it advisable, after downloading an SDHD or SDXC card, to format it on a computer (PC, in this case) with SD Formatter, put the card back in the camera, and start shooting?

In my test of an SDHD card, SD Formatter leaves the card empty, without a directory structure. However, the AF100 accepts the card happily and records to the card. It seems to create the necessary directory structure when it first records to it.

I haven't tried my SDXC card yet, but I expect that the same will be true.

Does anyone see any problem with this workflow?

Don Starnes
                              Director / Director of Photography
                              donstarnes.com

Comment

Select the card's directory, CTRL-A, CTRL-D. Done.
                                Lots of toys... that I barely know how to turn on

Comment

Working...
                                X