Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't completely understand that, but am nonetheless convinced. Thanks!
    robcollins.net

Comment

Hehe, well, I have a masters in Electrical Engineering with my major being Microelectronics, and have worked on CMOS designs for 15 years, including flash memory in many of the designs. I wouldn't expect everyone to be able to understand all that. Think of it like a battery that isn't being used. Eventually it dies. Not the same principle, but similar.

There are archival quality DVDs as well. They say 100 years guaranteed. I think that more than surpasses my life span from this point forward!
      formerly know as grimepoch.

Comment

Originally posted by grimrebes View Post
        If I am paying $10 or $20 or even $40 for a card and billing the client for it, why not? It reduces the chances of memory failure, right? Or am I crazy? Or both :-P.
        I understand your concern but solid state memory is entirely different. Formatting and reusing an SD card doesn't increase the chances failure or data loss in the slightest. In fact, I might think it would be the opposite because you're using a lot more cards and that could increase the chance that one day you could come across a flawed chip?? But even then, if you're going with Lexor or Panasonic cards, then probably not.
        Brent Miller Jr.
        Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
        www.IngenuityFilms.com

Coming Soon From Ingenuity Films:

Comment

Panasonic gold sdhc class 10 8gb 24.99 plus shipping

http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_RPSDW08GU1K/

Comment

I've been using the 16Gb class 6 Transcend and the 32Gb class 10 transcend and have had no problems with either. I've shot in VFR as well.

Paid $25 for the 16Gb through amazon
            Paid $58 for the 32Gb through amazon

Might get some more 16Gb as they get higher reviews overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknfl View Post
              Panasonic gold sdhc class 10 8gb 24.99 plus shipping

http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_RPSDW08GU1K/
              That link now has it as $29.99 with free shipping. J&R had the same card, but 16GB version for $29.99 last July.

Comment

Originally posted by tflak View Post
                That link now has it as $29.99 with free shipping. J&R had the same card, but 16GB version for $29.99 last July.
                That's bizarre, I ordered 6 of them today for 24.99 and 6.85 for shipping. Order was confirmed by email. Maybe it was a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by tflak View Post
                  The lowest I've seen the Class 10 16gb was $59.99 on cyber monday.

Are you sure the one you saw was the class 10?

Comment

Class 10 for shooting seems to be overkill. The class 6 cards I have all work great. And I did VFR as well.

Comment

Originally posted by grimepoch View Post
                      Class 10 for shooting seems to be overkill. The class 6 cards I have all work great. And I did VFR as well.
                      I prefer not to take any unnecessary chances, especially with recording media. It's $70 a card, that's nothing when it comes to the budget of a day of shooting. I also don't use the full card, instead rotating them without formatting, that way all is not lost if a card fails.

Comment

I'm not referring to make, which I agree has a reliability concern, but in the research of people actually testing these cards, I have seen MANY class-6 cards that actually outperform class-10 cards. Especially at larger sizes. If you look at the speed requirements to be class-6 or class-10, most of these cards WAY surpass that. Just because the card is rated at a higher class doesn't mean it's less prone to issues.

I wish we could write duplicate out to two cards, as I do understand not wanting to lose something.

Comment

i think they're phasing out the 6 with 10s. im seeing less and less class 6 cards

Comment

What is the amount of time in say 1080p 24p (at highest quality), that you could get on a 16gb card, or 32 gb card? or any size. just trying to see which would be better to purchase for our needs? Whats the method for finding out minutes per gigabyte for the af100 in 1080p 24p (ph mode)?
                            Last edited by jburke14; 01-14-2011, 07:28 PM.
                            James Burke
                            revisislander@yahoo.com
                            Freelance DP/Camera OP., editor, etc.
                            Always looking to collaborate. Email me
                            http://vimeo.com/jamesburke

Comment

Well I found this on the BandH site. So I figured I'd post it here.

Using Two 64GB SDXC Cards
                              PH Mode: approx. 720 mins
                              HA Mode: approx. 960 mins
                              HE Mode: approx. 2880 mins

From this that means that for each gigabyte you get about 5 minutes and 30 seconds recording time.
                              (All times in PH Mode)
                              8 gb card = 45 minutes
                              16gb card = 90 minutes
                              32gb card = 180 minutes
                              64gb card = 360 minutes

Again I don't know how accurate this information is, but its the first thing I've seen like this... If anyone has any counter information, please post. Thanks!
                              James Burke
                              revisislander@yahoo.com
                              Freelance DP/Camera OP., editor, etc.
                              Always looking to collaborate. Email me
                              http://vimeo.com/jamesburke

Comment

Originally posted by jburke14 View Post
                                Well I found this on the BandH site. So I figured I'd post it here.

Using Two 64GB SDXC Cards
                                PH Mode: approx. 720 mins
                                HA Mode: approx. 960 mins
                                HE Mode: approx. 2880 mins

From this that means that for each gigabyte you get about 5 minutes and 30 seconds recording time.
                                (All times in PH Mode)
                                8 gb card = 45 minutes
                                16gb card = 90 minutes
                                32gb card = 180 minutes
                                64gb card = 360 minutes

Again I don't know how accurate this information is, but its the first thing I've seen like this... If anyone has any counter information, please post. Thanks!
                                Those figures are in the Volume 2 AF100 document. They should be reasonably accurate. Of course, if you're shooting something very simple or, conversely, something very complex the recording time will change.
                                There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. -Bruce Ediger

SLR'd WRDS

Comment

Working...
                                X