This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XSVpro View Post
    Wasn't Batman Begins shot Academy 35? And Black Swan S16? People get far to hung up on all these standards.

It should be noted that the speedbooster is giving the AF100 the S35mm field of view and DOF from still lenses, so I imagine on the various multi mount PLs out there you could possibly achieve a field of view that's greater than S35 when using said lens via the Speedbooster

Err, Batman Begins as pretty much all Nolan's recent films was shot anamorphic. Yes, anamorphic uses the academy frame, but it's a totally different animal from shooting plain Academy.
    S16 to me is an artistic decision on pair with choosing to shoot something on video, like they did for example for 28 Days Later. They obviously didn't care for quality.
    Nobody is saying that the DOF from M4/3 is not shallow enough. I just said that comparing M4/3 to Academy instead of comparing it to the standard which is S35 is as useful as comparing it to S16 DOF. It only serves M4/3.

Regarding the miraculous speedbooster, it seems it is not so miraculous after all. Initial quality tests look pretty meh to me.
    Cameras: Panasonic AF100, GH2 (x2) and Sony EX3.
    Lenses: Zeiss CP.2 primes

Comment

What's tests Adam? I've seen Eoshd and James Millers tests, the white paper m43 test shots looked better too. What is it you don't like about the speedbooster?

Comment

Originally posted by Adamsenoj View Post
        Nobody is saying that the DOF from M4/3 is not shallow enough. I just said that comparing M4/3 to Academy instead of comparing it to the standard which is S35 is as useful as comparing it to S16 DOF. It only serves M4/3.
        The difference between m43 and Academy projection aperture (what you actually see in a theater) is 10%; m43 and S35 projection aperture 20%. It's something, but it's not a lot.

S35 is definitely the Hollywood standard at this point, but only recently and not globally, so I wouldn't dismiss the comparison to Academy. Here's the top 25 box office of 2012 and what they shot on:

The Dark Knight Rises Anamorphic 35
        The Hunger Games Anamorphic 35
        Skyfall Anamorphic 35
        The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 Anamorphic 35
        Snow White and the Huntsman Anamorphic 35
        Brave Animation
        Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted Animation
        Dr. Seuss' The Lorax Animation
        Wreck-It Ralph Animation
        Ice Age: Continental Drift Animation
        Hotel Transylvania Animation
        21 Jump Street Super 35