This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lluis View Post
    Sorry, in this case the chart is wrong: the real dimension of the AF100 sensor in 16/9 is actually bigger: 18,8x10,6mm (it has the same diagonal than the 4/3 picture mode: 17,3x13mm).
    The AF100's sensor specification has been published in the user's manual as 17.8mm x 10mm.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
      The AF100's sensor specification has been published in the user's manual as 17.8mm x 10mm.
      Well, in this case the GH2 sensor, in 16/9 mode, is bigger than the AF100 one, according http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36396593

Comment

the final specs of the sensor an the rest of the camera have been posted.... http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...l-specs!/page5
        C100 / Aerial Shooter/Editor - NY/NJ

My work, My equipment, My other whatnots...
        www.DarrenLevine.com

Comment

Originally posted by lluis View Post
          Well, in this case the GH2 sensor, in 16/9 mode, is bigger than the AF100 one, according http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36396593
          Yes, I'm well aware of that claim. However, I don't know whether it holds true in video or not. The Gh2 does video and stills, the AF100 is video only. It's possible that the 17.8 x 10 is a mathematically-appropriate extraction which makes for better video (similar to Red's 3840x2160 mode, which is designed for 16x9 HD video). Or maybe the GH2's sensor is the same size. I don't know that for sure. All I do know is that the specs have been published at 17.8 x 10.
          The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

17.8x10mm makes for the popular negative "3perf" ratio of 1.78, which is close enough to HD TV 16:9 and cinematic widescreen of 1.85.

Comment

Thanks Barry,Great chart,very helpfull

Comment

B&H has a nice chart for stills cameras on their site to show the relative focal length needed on various stills cameras to achieve certain fields of view. But it's not very adaptable to the AF100 or cinema cameras.

Here I've put together a chart that shows the sensor sizes of common video and film formats, their Cinema Crop Factor as related to Academy Aperture 35mm Cinema Film frame size, and normalized for 16:9 image shape. It's not all that easy to put together a field of view chart when comparing different aspect ratios, so I normalized all the sensors for their widest 16:9-shaped field of view.

Without further adieu...
                How was the "Aperture change to match DOF" calculated above?
                Are "Aperture change" figures for the same AOV (angle of view) or same focal length?
                Is the projection screen size or magnification held constant for all the formats?
                I would appreciate a look into the methodology (CoC explanations/advanced details ok)...
                Thank you in advance.
                PS. I am wondering if two different CoC (circle of confusion) standards for 35mm cinema were used.
                In my AC manual it is 1/1000th of an inch regardless of the camera/projector aperture.
                Last edited by nugat; 01-17-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Im sure this has been posted, but i dont wanna search 52 pages. Is the af100 crop only 1.19 and not 2.0 like the gh1/gh2??? thats confusing
                  www.vimeo.com/evanheath/videos

@evanheathvisual

Comment

Originally posted by eheath View Post
                    Im sure this has been posted, but i dont wanna search 52 pages. Is the af100 crop only 1.19 and not 2.0 like the gh1/gh2??? thats confusing
                    it's 2.0 crop with a 35mm lens such as an EF

www.DarrenLevine.com

Comment

It's a 1.19 Cinema Crop Factor. Comparing the AF100 to its logical alternative, 35mm cinema film.

In reference to "2.0", that's comparing it against STILL film, not movie film. And in that comparison yes the AF100 would be a 2.0.

Comment

It's a 1.19 Cinema Crop Factor. Comparing the AF100 to its logical alternative, 35mm cinema film.

In reference to "2.0", that's comparing it against STILL film, not movie film. And in that comparison yes the AF100 would be a 2.0.
                        Ahhhhh ok thanks
                        www.vimeo.com/evanheath/videos

@evanheathvisual

Comment

Just to clarify, does this cinema crop mean that if I invest in a lens intended for a 35mm film camera (or digital 35mm), say a Red Pro Prime; that I will only inherit the crop factor of 1.19 rather than 2.0? The ambiguities are confusing me to no end, especially because the RPPs' FOV are considered with Super 35.
                          Last edited by ryankroboth; 02-04-2011, 06:00 PM.

Comment

correct, s35/super35/digital35/35mm motion film are all analogous with the same size and those lenses on the m43 will be about 1.19 crop

www.DarrenLevine.com

Comment

Originally posted by imdjay View Post
                              correct, s35/super35/digital35/35mm motion film are all analogous with the same size and those lenses on the m43 will be about 1.19 crop
                              Awesome, thank you.

Comment

Well, S35 is a wider frame than 35mm cinema film. The Cinema Crop Factor was designed around the standard 35mm cinema frame, and in that scenario the AF100 is 1.19. The S35 frame sees more, so compared to S35 the AF100 would be more like a 1.3 or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X