Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think so... i looked up the S2Pro on an old review, and it looks like it's a larger-than-APS-C sensor, 23x15.5mm. So that should be a 1.5 crop, not a 2.0 crop.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Thanks Barry. I confirmed as well; 1.5x. That'll will make it a little more challenging.

Comment

Thanks, Barry!
        Truly appreciated... as usual.

Comment

Hey Barry

Nice chart and very helpful.

Now...can anyone make this up as an Iphone and Android app. (preferably Android first)

I have apps that cover other lenses and formats but this one could be unique.
          www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

I think I'll be in the market for a DOF calculator... reminiscent to my old bygone film days. Would be nice to know where the focus resides for run and gun type stuff... I also think I'll be breaking out my trusted tape-measuring device. I just wonder what I can do with that old changing bag....

Comment

Pcam is a great app for that, it may have been pointed out here before but here is a link:
              http://www.davideubank.com/Good_Focu...alculator.html
              Olof Ekbergh
              olof@westsideav.com
              www.westsideav.com
              www.westsideavstore.com

Comment

Many thanks for this Barry. You are awesome and I'm sure you smell terrific!
                An endless stream of dead uncle Daves

Comment

FWIW

I think that an Android app called 'CamCalc' covers 4/3 focal length conversions with all other lenses..

I need to check it against the chart that Barry published for verification.

BTW : its a great little film app and worth considering for all the cinema tools it contains including lens conversion.
                  www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
                    Yes, the AF100 sensor is identical in size to the GH2 and GH1 sensors.
                    Thanks, Barry! The attached photo was taken by Glenn Przyborski, DP. The photo shows a piece of exposed academy format 35mm cinema film next to a GH1 so we can see the film negative size compared to the sensor size.

A picture really is worth 1K words.
                    Attached Files
                    -

www.peterdv.com
                    Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

Comment

http://vimeo.com/14832168

http://vimeo.com/8212104

and remember that if you need to set back to get a bigger field of view, framing will be more difficult too, since your pans must be 1.6 smaller/slower and any vibration in the tripod is amplified 1.6 time.
                      the DOF will also change (it is relative to distance of subject) , the more you set back the deeper it become.
                      Last edited by nosys70; 12-09-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

This article from www.creativevideo.co.uk gives the low-down on sensor sizes and crop factors...

Last edited by Squirrel; 12-10-2010, 01:03 AM. Reason: corrected 4/3 sensor size info

Comment

The 4/3 dimensions don't seem right. 17.3mm x 13mm is the 4/3 standard. I know it is cropped to 16:9 but I don't think the chart is correct.
                          Last edited by olof; 12-09-2010, 07:09 PM.
                          Olof Ekbergh
                          olof@westsideav.com
                          www.westsideav.com
                          www.westsideavstore.com

Comment

That chart is totally wrong for 4/3. It's using numbers that are somewhat close to S16 film, but nowhere near what the 4/3 sensor is.
                            The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

That chart is totally wrong for 4/3. It's using numbers that are somewhat close to S16 film, but nowhere near what the 4/3 sensor is.
                              Thanks Barry, olof - Should read 17.3 x 13mm for 4/3 in 4:3 mode. Area and crop factor are correct though. I'll get this corrected and edit the post later!

Comment

Yes, the AF100 sensor is identical in size to the GH2 and GH1 sensors.
                                Sorry, in this case the chart is wrong: the real dimension of the AF100 sensor in 16/9 is actually bigger: 18,8x10,6mm (it has the same diagonal than the 4/3 picture mode: 17,3x13mm).

Comment

Working...
                                X