This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relative Focal Length, Angle of View, and CCF Chart

B&H has a nice chart for stills cameras on their site to show the relative focal length needed on various stills cameras to achieve certain fields of view. But it's not very adaptable to the AF100 or cinema cameras.

Here I've put together a chart that shows the sensor sizes of common video and film formats, their Cinema Crop Factor as related to Academy Aperture 35mm Cinema Film frame size, and normalized for 16:9 image shape. It's not all that easy to put together a field of view chart when comparing different aspect ratios, so I normalized all the sensors for their widest 16:9-shaped field of view.

Without further adieu...
    Last edited by Barry_Green; 12-10-2010, 05:03 PM. Reason: Updated 12/10 to new specs on AF100 brochure
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Now this is golden. +1, Barry.
    Check out my blog: www.m43weddings.com and my facebook page: www.facebook.com/paragonprovideo
    Interested in what I do? Check out my business' website: www.paragonprovideo.com

Comment

nice. thanks.

jason
      www.awakenedfilms.com

Comment

This really needs stickied.
        Check out my blog: www.m43weddings.com and my facebook page: www.facebook.com/paragonprovideo
        Interested in what I do? Check out my business' website: www.paragonprovideo.com

Comment

Is this chart relevant to the Panasonic GH2?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Brauning View Post
            This really needs stickied.
            Dun.
            Stephen Mick
            Owner/Creative Director
            Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Comment

Originally posted by stoneinapond View Post
              Is this chart relevant to the Panasonic GH2?
              Yes, the AF100 sensor is identical in size to the GH2 and GH1 sensors.
              The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Panasonic 7-14mm
                Panasonic 14-140mm
                Panasonic 100-300mm

With those three lenses, you cover the whole gamut. Nice.

Comment

Barry, once again you have proven yourself to be just the most awesome.

Thanks for being you!
                  Jan Crittenden Livingston
                  Panasonic System Communications Corporation
                  Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Jan_Crittenden View Post
                    Barry, once again you have proven yourself to be just the most awesome.

Thanks for being you!
                    I feel a Disney moment coming on!

Seriously, you're both awesome and a credit to the film making community.

Many, many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Brauning View Post
                      Panasonic 7-14mm
                      Panasonic 14-140mm
                      Panasonic 100-300mm

With those three lenses, you cover the whole gamut. Nice.
                      You do cover the whole range of focal lengths, but at the penalty of a small maximum open iris of f4. Sometimes you want and need more light, or shallower DOF. My kit includes the 7-14 and 14-140, but I also picked up the 20mm f/1.7, as well as having the Zeiss CPs and ZFs (ZFs will be sold soon). The ZFs/CPs deliver an f/1.4 at 50mm and 85mm, and an f/2 at 28mm, 35mm and 100mm. Sometimes you just gotta have that f/1.4 or f/1.7.

Comment

Here's what I have so far:

Lumix 7-14mm f/4.0
                        Lumix 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8
                        Lumix 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6 (pre-ordered)
                        Leica 25mm f/1.4
                        Zuiko 14-35mm f/2.0
                        Zuiko 35-100mm f/2.0
                        Zeiss Ikon 100mm f/2.0 Makro Planar (ZF)
                        Tokina AT-X AF 300mm 2.8 (ZF)

I realize I have some holes in there as far as really fast glass goes. Reviews on the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 aren't all that great. Have been considering the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, and maybe something fast at 85mm like the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 Planar or the 85mm Nikkor 1.4

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comment

I hope to one day be able to afford some CPs. I'm definitely buying the 20mm 1.7 and the 14mm 2.5 soon. They're more in my price range.

Comment

LOL at 0.61 crop factor !

finally I see a chart where 1.0 is not 36 x 24
                            J.Davis
                            jdMAX.com

Comment

It's not a 0.61 "crop factor", it's a 0.61 "cinema crop factor". Using the cinema frame as the reference size.

Comment

Working...
                              X