Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the Tokina 11-16 cause it just has such low distortion. Behave like a much more expensive lens. love it.
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

Comment

I agree! Bought it instead of the 10-22 from Canon and glad I did! Used the Canon and was just no where near as nice.
      formerly know as grimepoch.

Comment

I can hear Admiral Ackbar screaming "it's a trap!" regarding crop factors
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shorty15 View Post
          Basically, all I want to know is: On a MFT chip like the GH2 and AF100, will the Tokina 11-16 at it's widest (11mm), have the field of view of a (1) 14.7mm full frame 35 lens or a (2) 22mm full frame 35 lens.
          It will have the FOV of a 13mm lens on an APS-C camera, or the FOV of a 22mm lens on a "full frame" camera. And it will have the exact same FOV as the Lumix 7-14 or Olympus 9-18 if you zoomed them to 11mm.

A millimeter is a millimeter. An 11mm lens on an m43 camera will look like any other 11mm lens when used on that same m43 camera. It's not the mm that changes when you move cameras, it's the sensor size. The larger sensor "sees" a bigger window through the lens, the smaller sensor "crops" off some of that image. The lens always makes the same image regardless of what camera it's mounted to; it's up to the sensor to capture however much (or however little) of that image that it can see.
          The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

what do people do to add a UV or circular polarized filter to the Lumix 7-14?

Comment

Originally posted by tipota View Post
              Would a 7-500 Zoom with constant f 1.4 make people stop complaining? Naaaah.... because it would not be a macro, probably..... ;-)
              LOL...really loud! :-)

Comment

Yea but what about the 5-550 T1.2 that was announced last year? covers FF all the way down to 5mm.......
                Cinematographer
                Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

Comment

Originally posted by TimurCivan View Post
                  Yea but what about the 5-550 T1.2 that was announced last year? covers FF all the way down to 5mm.......
                  That would be the Special Edition: Chuck Norris lens, right?

Comment

I've very late to this thread having just discovered it. But after only reading the first page I can't help but get equally annoyed at the people who are hating on those who want a wide angle. Claiming we have the freedom in movies to "move the frame" is as stupid as asking a bar owner to knock down his wall to "get a shot", and comparing it to a still shooter who can use a wide angle to capture a crowd without moving makes no sense at all. That still shooter has just enough freedom to "move the frame" and probably has more experience and understanding of lenses and framing then you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshallarts View Post
                      I've very late to this thread having just discovered it. But after only reading the first page I can't help but get equally annoyed at the people who are hating on those who want a wide angle. Claiming we have the freedom in movies to "move the frame" is as stupid as asking a bar owner to knock down his wall to "get a shot", and comparing it to a still shooter who can use a wide angle to capture a crowd without moving makes no sense at all. That still shooter has just enough freedom to "move the frame" and probably has more experience and understanding of lenses and framing then you do.
                      You might want to rethink that last part. Its rather assumptive.

If you read the thread you might change your mind about it. The tone of this thread has been that the desire for wider lenses, while fine, has gotten a bit out of hand. How wide do you truly need to go to be happy? And how wide and fast can you reasonably expect an affordable lens to go without ridiculous distortion?

Well, that was the tone at the beginning, now the tone has shifted more to 'this is what I use, and it is plenty wide'.
                      Last edited by Mister Stocks; 05-13-2011, 06:47 PM.
                      Out in the world they call me a disciple of fire
                      Because the words of my grief fall like a shower of sparks

- Ghalib

Comment

I definitely did not read the whole thread and admittedly was "reacting" to the tone I felt in the first page. Professionally my fast wide angle lenses are my most valuable. And I know they can be quite expensive. My Fujinon 13x4.5 was $30,000. Worth every penny.

I felt the thread started in a way that discredited legitimate concerns over not having wide angle options and those who thought so were novices who don't know any better. Wide angle is very important and owning around $90,000 in lenses I took it personally.

Comment

agreed.

any feature on a camera system that limits you aesthetic options is a legitimate concern. yes, we can move the camera around, but often there are situations where a shot simply will not work without a wide enough lens. fact: unless you are using m4/3 lenses (as yet, not great quality to my finding) or have exceptionally wide lenses, you will have difficulty achieving wide angle shots.

Comment

Heres an option that I am seriously considering to give my self a wider lens ( when and should I need it).

http://16x9inc.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=36

Its a .45 wide angle adapter that will fit both of my "dream team" Nikkors. 17-35mm & 28-70mm. Both have a front filter thread of 77mm.

I have used products from 16x9 before (on my DVX and HXXs) and found them more than adequate to the task - quality wise.
                            www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

Does anyone have footage with a fisheye? I'm curious how wide and how goo it would look

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter View Post
                                Heres an option that I am seriously considering to give my self a wider lens ( when and should I need it).

http://16x9inc.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=36

Its a .45 wide angle adapter that will fit both of my "dream team" Nikkors. 17-35mm & 28-70mm. Both have a front filter thread of 77mm.

I have used products from 16x9 before (on my DVX and HXXs) and found them more than adequate to the task - quality wise.
                                So, this wold make your 17-35mm effectively a 7ish-16ish mm? With the crop factor into it, it would make it approx 14mm on the wide end right?
                                www.jonfilms.com
                                jonfilms(at)me.com
                                Follow me:
                                Twitter: http://twitter.com/jonfilms
                                facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/jonfilms/124719134214199
                                Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/jonfurtado
                                LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...43&trk=tab_pro

Comment

Working...
                                X