This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jesse Brauning View Post
    Also, have you considered buying a set of older prime lenses, say... Minolta MDs? I've got a lovely bunch for sale.
    I have the 58mm f/1.2 MD Rokkor and it is a great lens on the 7D. I don't think I will ever have a need for 110mm lens at 1.2, hmmmmm, well actually shooting indoor events where you want a couple extreme shallow d.o.p.. A specialty lens. Just thinking out loud again trying to figure out which EOS lenses I am going to get rid of and which to keep. Maybe all of them. I mean, you can't beat the Pany 7-14mm. That is crazy wide and if you want edge to edge sharpness f/4.0 will probably do it. My Sigma 30mm APS-C sized lens is pretty sharp but at f/2.8 taking a group photo that is from edge to edge would be fine if you were absolutely perpendicular to the subjects. I thought I was until I checked later and the 10 people out of 200 that were on the right side were all out of focus. At f/4.0 that may not have happened.
    Shawn
    1dog Studios
    Saskatchewan
    Panasonic GH2, AF100

Comment

Originally posted by JesterJJZ View Post
      Which one?

Olympus E 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko

or

Olympus M ED 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6

The 4/3rds one seems a bit more robust.

the native micro 4/3rds one

i shot this with it

heres a few stills

Im about 10 feet from the Theater here standing just in the street. and this is my son who is roughly half as tall as i am so his head is about 2 feet from the camera

Comment

Originally posted by tipota View Post
        Would a 7-500 Zoom with constant f 1.4 make people stop complaining? Naaaah.... because it would not be a macro, probably..... ;-)
        ROTFL.. It would definately have to be a macro lens too.
        Brent Miller Jr.
        Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
        www.IngenuityFilms.com

Coming Soon From Ingenuity Films:

Comment

Originally posted by Kindredmachine View Post
          ROTFL.. It would definately have to be a macro lens too.
          And be the size of like a 50mm DSLR prime (ie, not the Zeiss size)
          formerly know as grimepoch.

Comment

Originally posted by grimepoch View Post
            And be the size of like a 50mm DSLR prime (ie, not the Zeiss size)
            and make .5 past light speed

Comment

I hope this new lens you guys are talking about is also very inexpensive.
              Canon 60D

Comment

Originally posted by boulder View Post
                I hope this new lens you guys are talking about is also very inexpensive.
                if your referring to the 7-500mm nifty fiffy sized .5 past light speed f1.4 rock out with your glass out, you're absolutely wrong, by the demands of the people for the people it would certainly only cost about $150 dollars with a $75 rebate ;)
                C100 / Aerial Shooter/Editor - NY/NJ

My work, My equipment, My other whatnots...
                www.DarrenLevine.com

Comment

And it ships with free shippping worldwide
                  formerly know as grimepoch.

Comment

And it's actually in stock.

*cough* Voigtlander *cough* Lumix 3D *cough*
                    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Just make one decent 1 decent zoom for AF100 like RED 17-50 t2.9 and stop selling Photographic Zooms to PROS....its that simple!

Comment

Originally posted by avro View Post
                        Just make one decent 1 decent zoom for AF100 like RED 17-50 t2.9 and stop selling Photographic Zooms to PROS....its that simple!

actually the one possible photographic exception are the good ol one touch zooms. i have an fd 70-210 f/4 from ages ago that i'm very eager to try out. that is, when frickin adorama stops BSing around and gets me my af100....
                        C100 / Aerial Shooter/Editor - NY/NJ

My work, My equipment, My other whatnots...
                        www.DarrenLevine.com

Comment

Well, you can just by the RED 17-50, or the sigma 17-50 which has been rumoured to be the same lens as the RED anyway.

sigpic

Comment

PLS do Your research.....18-50mm t3.0 was Sigma redone...17-50mm t2.9 is NEW Cine Zoom.
                            It has proper Cine Controls(iris,zoom,focul)...well made no plastic here.
                            Stop mixing PHOTO zooms with Cinema ones.

Comment

Stop mixing PHOTO zooms with Cinema ones.
                              As long as the cine zoom costs 5x as much as the photo zoom, people will continue to use the cheap photo zooms.

And they will continue to complain about them. Because any time you use a product for a purpose other than what it was designed for, there will be complaints that it doesn't do what you want.

If this was a perfect world and everyone was rich, all the cine-style shooters here would be using cine zooms. But in this world that we live in, a cine zoom costs $10,000 for a Red 18-85, or $40,000 for a Cooke, or $80,000 for a top-end Angeniux. So don't be surprised if people still use something like a Canon 24-105...

(but yes, for those who haven't used a cine zoom, it's miles different from an SLR lens. If you're making the low-cost choice, just recognize you're making the low-cost choice and that there are reasons those cine lenses are so expensive.)
                              The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

In 2011 all major lens players can make 4/3 micro BASIC MANUAL WIDE ZOOM WITH CONSTANT t stop.
                                Dos not have to be PL Zoom.
                                PLS Voigtlander make one zoom 15-50mm t 2.8 from METAL and GLASS with iris,zoom and focus controls and make it 4/3 micro and under 1 KG.

I WILL BUY IT TOO.

p.s. and why i am at it how about 2' VF(like ex-3) so i do not have to use 3rd Party one - hate HDMI cable and other options on camera body.

Comment

Working...
                                X