Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would an AF100 benefit from an external HD-SDI recorder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Homunculus View Post
    so with one of those after market recorders that you guys are talking about, is it possible to record AF100 at 8 bit but with 4:2:2 and/or 50megabits?
    Of course. Using the Nano, you could record up to 280mbps in 4:2:2. Using the HPG20, you'd be recording 100mbps of AVC-Intra at 4:2:2.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by g3nov3s3 View Post
      Uhhh.....my question was still not answered....
      The VDSLRs get the image either by skipping pixels or using pixel-binning.
      We think. We don't know this for a fact, but from reverse-engineering it seems like a reasonable guess.

So there are only 1920*1080 green, blue and red pixels.
      Well, that could be argued. We don't know how many pixels they actually sample, but it is very likely that there is no more than 1920x1080 being read off the chip, in monochrome, so you have to divide that up to get 960x1080 green, 960x540 blue, and 960x540 red. But I think that's generous to attribute to today's DSLR technology.

But if you capture the image through the HDSDI you get 4:2:2 footage and 960*1080 color resolution. A camera like this benefits from external recording in 4:2:2 color space.
      But would the AF100 benefit from this?
      Of course. The situation is exactly the same as with the EX1. True 1920x1080 output with true 960x1080 color space, because the HDMI outputs uncompressed 1080p at 4:2:2.
      The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Green View Post
        Of course. Using the Nano, you could record up to 280mbps in 4:2:2. Using the HPG20, you'd be recording 100mbps of AVC-Intra at 4:2:2.
        Damn. I only wish I knew what all that meant. For us laymen, what would be the difference in recording it in 4:2:2 100mbs or 280mbps? Would the colors be more vivid and filmic looking? I don't know much about this colorspace stuff but what I do know is instinctual from seeing Red One footage for instance I can see how the colors are far more vivid, vibrant, and natural looking than DSLR colors. Will this nano recording stuff (4:2:2 100mbps+ etc) basically give it the color abilities of a Red or similar cam?

Comment

Working...
        X