AF100 pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tzedekh View Post
    Still 8-bit only. Unfortunate really, given that two other intraframe codecs, AVC Intra and Apple ProRes, can do 10-bit at data rates lower than 280 Mbps.
    8-bit, but far more portable and convenient than other solutions, such as the Ki-pro. I can actually put the nano in a fanny pack and forget about it in a run-and-gun situation. Don't have to weigh down the camera at all, or be tethered to a capture station.

If the AF100 actually outputs 10-bit SDI, rather than padded 8-bit which most of the other cameras do, then turning your nose up a bit at a product like the nano (which I use all the time) might be slightly justified.

IMO, highly compressed codecs are the real acquisition buzzkill, not merely 8-bit video.

Comment

I would go along with what Elton's saying. I think I'd rather have 8-bit 4:2:2 than 10-bit 4:2:0, and I'd rather have big-bandwidth intraframe (or big-bitrate long-GoP) than hyper-compressed long-GoP. If the AF100 outputs 8-bit, then a Nano might be the perfect companion for those who need higher-quality footage (280mbps!) If it outputs 10-bit, then you'd probably want to look towards an HPG20 or something like that.
      The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

10-bit 4:2:0...lol, now THAT would be a funny colorspace. ;-)

Deeper shading of low res color. Dig it.

FWIW, anything beyond 100mbs long-GOP with the Nano is pretty much overkill. I've had maybe one occasion where I switched up to a higher rate (140 mbs) out of concern for the picture (shooting in a blizzard) and of course it turned out to be unnecessary. The great thing about the device is it's super easy to up the bit rate on-the-fly for a challenging scenario. It's what VBR really ought to be--left up to the user before a shot rolls.

Can the HPG20 be triggered by timecode to record? That would be a big plus for the single shooter.

Comment

I know it can sense a "record" signal on the SDI stream; I don't know if it detects running timecode as a reason to go into record.
          The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Interesting, seems like a great device.

Comment

Originally posted by Justyn View Post
              I've had the exact opposite opinion. I owned an HVX and also the 150 and just ended up selling the HVX cause to my eye, and my clients, it looked virtually the same... and under a lot of situations it looked a lot better. The codec I find is robust enough to do CC and I've been more than happy with the 150. The only advantage I'd give the HVX was in the ability to do greenscreen.... other than that, I' super happy with the 150 and so is my bank account. I think the AF100 will be my next choice of camera... unless the Red people pull a rabit out of a hat.
              I have shot 4 docs with 150 and working on another one. Other than telephoto weakness, the camera is awesome. It does match up very nicely with HVX

Comment

Working...
              X