Bare AF100 Kit To Shoot Out of the Box - What Lenses and Adapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bare AF100 Kit To Shoot Out of the Box - What Lenses and Adapters

Assuming that AF100 ships sans lens, which appears to be the case, what does everyone suggest as necessary additional lenses to get started with?

We have two great Nikon AF lenses for our D300s, both zoom - one wide angle and one telephoto.

What would be need to get working with those?

And what value 4/3 lens what make sense as an all around useful one?

thanks
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Honestly, I've been feeling that canon L series lenses, both zoom and primes have been high ticket lately. They are gonna carry on from system to system for a long time, plus you never know when you'll have additional DSLR coverage too. I'm very impressed with the optical quality, and speeds. Nikon lenses, the newer ones never made much sense to me, could never get my head wrapped around all the different models.

But that's just personal preference of course, staples would be the 11-16 mm tokina of course. Everybody swears by it, and with the crop factor of 4/3 you'll want as wide as you can if you want a change at having that really nice wide shot you are going for. I'd even look into to some straight forward 4/3 lenses, because of the smaller sensor size you can really get away with some incredibly fast glass at a reasonable price.

Telephoto I'd go with a 70-200 zoom L series if you don't mind mixing glass.

Comment

While you will most probably be able to adapt Canon EOS glass to the mount, I don't think it's a smart idea - chances are very VERY likely that there will be no aperture control for those lenses, since they are electronically controlled by Canon's EOS system. There is no aperture ring. Unless you want to shoot wide open all the time, without option for stopping down, you'd be much better off going with old Nikons, or other manual focus lenses.
      Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
      Currently Shooting "Expedition Unknown" on Travel Channel
      IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

Comment

One of the big unknowns is if Panasonic will offer custom kit lenses for this camera, and how much they would cost. I'm guessing they will but who knows?

Comment

I take it that even with a 4/3 Nikon adapter, I don't get AF or zoom.

Correct?
          David S.

Accept No Imitations.
          and...

Comment

My first choice would be a native 4/3 format lens of some kind. This one would be a very good reasonably priced candidate. With a standard 4/3 adapter, auto focus should work if Panny supports it. Reasonable range, reasonable speed for the bucks and very high image quality.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1337

If bucks were available I would pick:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...&page=overview

And

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1335
            Last edited by Razz16mm; 07-08-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I could be wrong on these things -- but I'm probably not.

With the exception of Micro 4/3 lenses -- you'll need manual aperture controls on your lenses.

This means most all Canon EOS lenses are out, as well as Nikon "DX" and G type lenses. Unless there's something spectacular up someone's sleeve -- adapters only adapt the mount, not the electronically controlled lens features.

All automatic lens features will be exclusively with Micro 4/3 format lenses.

Comment

Does the GH1 stock lens provide for zoom, AF and Iris?
                David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                and...

Comment

Originally posted by AGMedia View Post

With the exception of Micro 4/3 lenses -- you'll need manual aperture controls on your lenses.

This means most all Canon EOS lenses are out, as well as Nikon "DX" and G type lenses. Unless there's something spectacular up someone's sleeve -- adapters only adapt the mount, not the electronically controlled lens features.

Micro 4/3 conforms to the 4/3 control standard, so lenses for standard 4/3 cameras should carry over all their original functions. The question is will Panasonic fully implement the standard on the AF100? They have updated firmware for the GH1 on their site to support 4/3 lens functions with an adapter. M4/3 has the same 9-pin lens contact layout plus two extra pins.

Comment

Originally posted by David S. View Post
                    Does the GH1 stock lens provide for zoom, AF and Iris?
                    No zoom, but yes AF and iris. Also optical image stabilization.

Right now in the GH1 world, using a lens adapter pretty much means an entirely-manual lens. If you want a video-style lens, run (don't walk) to get the 14-140. It really isn't even worth discussing; the 14-140 is the only all-inclusive, video-style lens on the market.

But no, no power zoom.
                    Last edited by Barry_Green; 07-08-2010, 10:04 PM.
                    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Originally posted by AGMedia View Post

nikon G
                      heres magic up someone's sleeve
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-G-lens-to-...ht_2587wt_1166
                      of course it only controls the aperture. not auto focus which is moot anyway

canon, it is possible but expensive... check redrockmicro's live lens

Comment

Sorry to ask dumb questions, but will the Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm lens be compatible with the AF100?

Interesting that it runs as much as the GH1.
                        David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                        and...

Comment

Originally posted by David S. View Post
                          Sorry to ask dumb questions, but will the Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm lens be compatible with the AF100?

Interesting that it runs as much as the GH1.
                          Certainly, AF100 is a micro 4/3 standard camera. 4/3 and m4/3 are both defined multi-manufacturer standards originated by Olympus.
                          Lenses designed for them from any manufacturer should support all functions included in the lens specifications on any m4/3 camera from any manufacturer. 4/3 lenses are fully supported with an adapter on m4/3 cameras, but not the other way round.

Good optics are expensive. Premium lenses that cost way more than the camera to which they are attached are common. Your image is ultimately no better than your glass.

Camera models come and go, especially in the digital era. But good lenses are forever. There is still significant demand for some premium ultra-fast 16mm primes that happen to cover 4/3 and are more than 25 years old. They typically sell for more than a complete GH1 package with the kit lens and in some cases as much or more than their prices when new..

Comment

That's why I'm interested on how well my two $2k Nikon D300s lenses will work with the AF100.
                            David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                            and...

Comment

Oof, so it's a no-go on using Canon lenses for the Af100 eh? ...sigh... I was kinda hoping mine could make the jump.

Comment

Working...
                              X