No announcement yet.

Ag AF100 & jello or skew correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can finetune an OLPF filter. But I always tend to prefer the stronger one. On 1080p cameras it produces material that looks better to my eyes, not overly sharp, similar to typical 1080p bluray that originated in 35mm, and more forgiving in closeups.

When you remove the OLPF, you have to adjust for the change. If the lens mount does not allow an adjustment, you will need a replacement to keep focus correct.

In real images, a camera without OLPF works ok, but it will show some problems on landscapes and very fine patterns. Slight defocus can cure this in most cases if you have good real time full resolution preview.

An OLPF makes sense. Some people only shoot test charts

Comment

Originally posted by Zissou View Post
      Skew/jello on the NEX-5 absolutely trounces the Canon HDSLR's and GH1.
      I don't understand this how you've come to that conclusion. From my own user experience, skew & jello on the NEX-5 is really no better than the GH1 or 7D.

If you look up rolling shutter tests with the NEX-5 you'll find a lot of examples of the artifacts. It certainly doesn't come anywhere close to "trouncing" any other CMOS camera for rolling shutter skew.
      Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
      Currently Shooting "Expedition Unknown" on Travel Channel
      IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

Comment

Originally posted by cowpunk52 View Post
        I don't understand this how you've come to that conclusion. From my own user experience, skew & jello on the NEX-5 is really no better than the GH1 or 7D.

If you look up rolling shutter tests with the NEX-5 you'll find a lot of examples of the artifacts. It certainly doesn't come anywhere close to "trouncing" any other CMOS camera for rolling shutter skew.
        from the 2 NEX-5 files ive seen on vimeo the skew is less of an issue vs a 7D, i am talking particularly about the golf cart based footage. As for your comment on artifacts, do you mean codec based artifacts or sensor based issues, because i tend to refer to 'artifacts' as codec based problems, and sensor based problems in terms of 'skew/jello', 'CCD blooming', etc.

im not an advocate of CMOS at all, i have nothing video/CMOS based in fact due to rolling shutter issues, and until a global shutter solution is found i have no use for them. its hard to pan and capture a car doing 70mph sideways on a track while panning frantically with a CMOS camera without the skew issue popping up noticeably.

ill try to find comparable shutter speed/signal footage to illustrate my point but from what ive seen it appears the NEX-5 has a faster scan time versus the 7D/T2i/D90/5D MkII etc.

this is all opinion and speculation really until there is a definitive, shutter speed/pan speed comparison so dont take too great offense at my comments; i havent tested them head to head, which i would DEFINITELY do if i were considering purchasing one, and i wasnt in any way bringing codecs into the argument.
        Nikon D3s and D300, Canon 7D and (2x) T2i shooter, with Nikkor 12-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 VR-II, 18-200 VR and 70-300 VR for stills, 24 f2.8D, 35mm f2 D, 50mm f1.4 D, 60mm f2.8 D, 85mm f1.8 D, 105mm f2 DC for Stills/Video.

Comment

Sorry, my phrasing probably wasn't proper - I wasn't speaking about codec artifacts, just wobble/jello/skew.

I have used the NEX-5, only very briefly in a shop, to check the the rolling shutter, and it didn't feel to be noticeably more or less than any other camera I've used. I would probably say that the 5D II is the only DSLR that I've used that I feel might have more wobble than the others. Oh, and Samsung's NX10.

But I haven't "scientifically" tested or analyzed any of them, either. Just to me, they mostly all seem to have the same approximate amount of wobble.
          Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
          Currently Shooting "Expedition Unknown" on Travel Channel
          IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

Comment

Originally posted by cowpunk52 View Post
            Sorry, my phrasing probably wasn't proper - I wasn't speaking about codec artifacts, just wobble/jello/skew.

I have used the NEX-5, only very briefly in a shop, to check the the rolling shutter, and it didn't feel to be noticeably more or less than any other camera I've used. I would probably say that the 5D II is the only DSLR that I've used that I feel might have more wobble than the others. Oh, and Samsung's NX10.

But I haven't "scientifically" tested or analyzed any of them, either. Just to me, they mostly all seem to have the same approximate amount of wobble.
            unfortunately no one has, and no one really does; its all arbitrary opinion and BS for most reviews. D90 is IMO bad for skew, same with 5D mkII. havent seen much on the NX10. T2i/7D is better, but the 2 NEX-5 vids seemed less prone to skew.

I am trying to gather a few different HDSLR's for direct comparisons, for video modes ie codecs and same pan speeds at whatever framerate they are capable of, 720P/1080i/1080P and 24/25/30/50/60 framerates etc.

difficult to do really.
            Nikon D3s and D300, Canon 7D and (2x) T2i shooter, with Nikkor 12-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 VR-II, 18-200 VR and 70-300 VR for stills, 24 f2.8D, 35mm f2 D, 50mm f1.4 D, 60mm f2.8 D, 85mm f1.8 D, 105mm f2 DC for Stills/Video.

Comment

Working...
            X