Question re recording at 1080/60i on AG-AC160A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC160: Question re recording at 1080/60i on AG-AC160A

I have a client (TV station) that wants me to record an event at 1080/60i. I have never done recordings at 60i

They want a copyover (no rendering) of what is on the SD, to an external hard drive, formatted for PC.

I did a test, selecting PH 1080/60i.

When I access the STREAM .mts file, it reports 1920 x 1080 and a frame rate 29 frames per second

Inside of Vegas Pro 13, following Import, I see

HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.970 fps)

Are my settings right?

Hi Walter

60i does show up as 29.97 fps. It's a shame they still want interlaced source material, but I guess that's their call. We deliver shows to Food Network Canada, HGTV, History and Discovery channel. For all of these shows we shoot 30p (technically 29.97P) as it looks a little less "video-y" and a little more filmic.

Cheers

John

Comment

Your settings are correct. PH is the highest-quality 1080/60i recording mode the AC160 offers.

When you give them the footage, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT just go into the STREAM directory and copy the .mts files over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Copy the entire PRIVATE folder over.
      The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

@Barry... Absolutely. I learned that from your book. My workflow has been to ALWAYS deliver the full content of the entire SD. You seem to be saying only the PRIVATE folder needs to be copied.

Comment

You're right, copying the whole card is best. But at the bare (BARE) minimum, copying the whole PRIVATE folder will at least ensure that they get all the footage and can import it into any AVCHD-compatible editing program.
          The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Hi

Now I get both curious and worried. I've never copied anything but the files in the stream directory for archiving or editing. If I import the PRIVATE folder into premiere I get a lot of messages saying something like "Unknown file type, will not be imported". What files are actually needed for editing? I've never run into problems as I know of, only importing the files in the STREAM directory.

Regards,

/Bo

Comment

If you only copy the stream directory files, you're going to end up regretting it if you ever record something that takes up more than 4gb of data. Trust the camera, it knows what it's doing, and it makes all those directories for a reason. If it records more than 4gb, it splits the files in two, and leaves pointers and information on how to reconstruct them in the other directories. If you only copy the stream directory files and put them on the timeline, you'll find instances where there's gaps in the footage between the chunks, or the audio's missing, or whatever. But if you kept all the directories, and imported the footage through Premiere's "Media Browser" function, instead you'd find one long continuous flawless clip.

You can get away with just copying the MTS files if the footage is short and doesn't span across cards or across different files. And you may also run into problems if you try to give the footage to someone else to edit. Sure, Premiere may be able to work with the MTS files, but if they're using iMovie or some other program, it may not be able to work with MTS files, it may NEED the entire directory structure.

Copy the entire directory structure. It takes practically no more space, and it preserves all your options.

Comment

Thanks Barry for the info. I'll think about that advise in the future.

Regards,

/Bo

Comment

Working...
                X