SD card chokes recording DV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC130: SD card chokes recording DV

Having a problem recording DV-mode files on a SanDisk micro SD card ("Ultra" class 10). After some 2.5 minutes, the recording stops followed by an error message, "incompatible card". Card was reformatted but same error resulted.

That same card has no problems recording all flavors of AVCHD. And higher-rated SanDisk cards, "Extreme" and "Extreme Pro" have no difficulty recording in DV-mode.

Panasonic's manual claims the AC130 works well with a class 6 card. A Panasonic product representative suspects a faulty card but SanDisk technical support said the card easily passed a performance test. To its credit, SanDisk issued an R.M.A. for a replacement.

Panasonic's documentation shows that DV-mode moves along at 25 Mbps while AVCHD/PH mode records at 21 Mbps. (http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales...g-ac160a_130a/) And a class 10 card should move data at least 10 Mbps (https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/).

Granted, I may be missing some key technical aspect, but it's difficult to understand how a class 6 SD card (6 Mbps) can record a DV stream running at 25 Mbps without choking.

Don't know other than maybe there is some defect in the card. I know that in itself doesn't click since you can record on it with other modes. I also have the AC130 and have always used class 10 32GB cards for all my work both DV and AVCHD. For the low cost of cards these days would it be more worth the while to just get a new card and use this one for other things?

Good luck!!

Jeff
    Created Design Video
    Video Production For The Common Man

Comment

Editing this a bit, I missed a few points when I was on the iPad.

I'm wondering why are you using a Micro SD card and not a full size one? I'm not sure it'll make a difference, but it seems curious. Could it be a poor adapter? Why not use a full size card?

Also, the Extreme cards are faster still, and not all Class 10 cards are equal. Even though the card passes Sandisk's test, it may not be capable of the sustained transfer speed needed for the AC130. I had Class 10 Transcend cards that purported to be fast enough, and my Panasonic Stills camera at the time (FZ100) kept complaining of card write errors when trying to record HD video.

Is the answer not just to use the Extreme cards? I've never had any bother with those in my AC130.

I'm not sure I've helped. Maybe just made things more confusing, at best!
      Last edited by Mike Beckett; 12-03-2013, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I purchased the micro SD card because it was a good value and exceeded Panasonic's requirement for a Class 6. If the card met SanDisk's specifications, then it should be able to record a sustained DV stream. Either the card is defective or the camcorder requires a more robust SD card than stated.

I would be grateful if someone would attempt to record DV-mode with a Class 6 card and post the results in this thread.

Comment

Here's an update to my initial post. A new SanDisk Ultra SD card, replaced under warranty, is recording DV format perfectly. So the problem was an under-performing card.

Comment

Working...
          X