Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with AG-AC160A distance meter or my camera needs repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC160: Problem with AG-AC160A distance meter or my camera needs repairs?

Looking for someone to repeat a test before I consider sending in my AG-AC160A for repairs.

Physical distance camera to subject 57 feet
    Laser meter distance 57 feet 3 inches

Camera in shap focus at x 10 as per the meter gives 66 feet
    Red highlighting when approaching from zero toward infinity gives 68 feet
    Re highlighting when approaching from infinity toward zero gives 70 feet

Looks like there is a 9 to 13 foot discrepancy

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night at a stage event where the front of the stage was 43 feet and the mid point of the risers for the group singers was 55 feet I set two focus points relying on the camera meter.

Do you see any focus issues in the following?

https://vimeo.com/67983222

https://vimeo.com/67983282

https://vimeo.com/67983291

Maybe I should have set the focus ring to 52 feet and 64 feet?

Here are two more clips from the concert

http://vimeo.com/68021633

http://vimeo.com/68021634

Comment

The problem seems to be non-linear. At a recent event where I was 56 feet away, the reading at the meter when I got focus indicated 80 feet. Conclusion: You would need to carry around a distance conversion card. No point doing tape or laser measures if you cannot use them at the camera. I think I need to try to turn on focus magnification and see how that works. Red lining works when the target has something that can be highlighted but many times there is nothing. I suppose I should carry around some shiny object that can be attached to an actor and rely on that to get focus. Strange that no one has responded to my initial post that I made 4 months ago.
      Last edited by kwkeirstead; 09-18-2013, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Hey Walter.. My 130's used to do the same ... crazy and inaccurate readings at best and certainly not indicative of the true distance. I wonder why?? My Sony's are very accurate (at least in metres) and focus peaking does indicate that the image is, in fact in focus. I would just stick to peaking where it works ... however on the Panny's that seemed to only be on vertical lines so a human face wouldn't pick up anything. I used to use a Hoodman 3X loupe over the LCD so I could actually see if the focus was accurate or not ...that might be another alternate as the EVF is so tiny even with magnification it's tough to see if the image is sharp. In controlled situations like your vocal groups maybe have a stand with a vertical piece of aluminium angle you can check peaking on before they start..the peaking should work really well with a vertical piece of 1/2" aluminium angle strapped to a stand as it has a sharp edge.

Comment

@Chris.. I have recently taken to using the 160A "push auto" with Red Highlighting off. The magnified view is pretty good BUT it only works at the LCD which means I would have to go thru what you did with a light shield otherwise forget about outdoors use. The aluminium angle idea sounds excellent. Too bad I cannot use my laser distance measurement device and then, at my remote, set three quick switch focus settings for stage work. Re Sony, I see Sony has announced a PXW-Z100 camcorder. I saw that at www.hdwarrior.co.uk. Check out the video if you have not already seen it.

Comment

Hey Walter ... if that works then as long as your focus is accurate then that's great. Don't worry about the actual physical distance. At weddings I switch to manual and then use "touch to focus" on the Sony LCD to make sure the camera has locked onto the actual bride and not the back of the Church wall! I think you already know I'm a shoulder mount person and the new Z100 is a handheld. Besides I'm just getting to grips with Full HD so 4K is a long way away ... By the time it gets to be the standard format you and I will probably be pushing up daisies !

Comment

I can see the attraction of a shoulder mount camera. My rig that you see is awkward in tight spaces. I suspect something like the Ag-Ac8 might be a nice piece of equipment. http://www.resource.datavideo.info/s...nic_AG-AC8.pdf

Comment

Re. the shoulder mount issue, I love my CameraRibbon shoulder mount (with counterweight). Left hand on a handle, right hand on camera zoom grip, viewfinder to my eye. It is simple, elegant, and is not one of those Meccano nightmare or bizarre "chest mounts" that seem bizarrely popular.

I ran & gunned (runned and gunned?) for 4 hours filming a jazz night and there was no real fatigue from holding the AC130 (I had pulled a muscle that was causing some discomfort, but that was my fault!). CameraRibbon was designed by a TV news guy who wanted to be able to use these handheld cameras in the same manner as a shoulder-mount TV camera.

1008963_589205044464113_192909391_o.jpg

Re. the focusing, I rarely have any problems either with viewfinder or LCD, normally using Push Auto (and zoom in to focus, then zoom out to frame). I guess it depends on shooting style and subject matter.

Comment

Hi Walter - The AC8 looks like they have taken some features from the AC-90 and put it into the AC-7 .... Certainly an interesting camera I must say but a single 1/4.5 chip (presumably now backlit) is still a tiny sensor. However the price seems to be destined even lower than the AC-90. I still think despite the attraction it's still geared towards the educational market rather than the pro market ...Our AC-7 here is called the MDH1 and sells for just over $1K but is a lot lower spec than the AC-8. Sadly I have now been spoilt by the Sony EA-50 with the APSC big sensor and the fact that I can just use my whole array of Nikon lenses from my still cameras. Shucks it's a pity they didn't use a hi res LCD as that would have been awesome. Mike? What is your opinion? would you grab one of these in preference to your current camera? It's quite a heavy little sucker...about the same weight as my previous HMC-80's I would say.

Comment

Hey Chris,

If you mean the AC-7, then nope - I wouldn't touch it with yours, mate.

I presume though you mean the EA-50. I'm not really looking for the DSLR look, and changing lenses is a hassle I can live without. You can get stressed and get paid for it, I'm doing this for fun and nobody pays for my stress! The form factor is appealing though.

Seriously though, if I could get something like an AC130/AC160 or JVC HM600 in a shoulder mount form factor, then I'd go for it. Sony did this aeons ago when they did a shoulder version of their VX2100/PD170 range of cameras, I think it was the DSR200 or something. Exactly the same lens etc., but with a pro shoulder mount body and more dials and knobs on the body, even big V-lock batteries if I recall.

I can only assume that it didn't sell well, which is why it wasn't repeated!

Comment

Hi Mike - I actually meant the new AC8 ... However I still think the AC-90 will outperform it and it was brought out mainly to compete with JVC's HM70 shoulder mount unit. I must admit I would have liked to have stayed with Panasonic but I was really hoping they would bring out a better version of the HMC80 ... I guess the cheaper camera market is more viable? I like your rig !! Simple and easy to use and it obviously works nicely.

Comment

Working...
                      X