• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DLD View Post
    Unless you're already a Leica owner.
    or a dentist.

Comment

Originally posted by Clermond View Post
      or a dentist.
      Or a very successful professional photographer who likes their color science, optics, and bullet proof ruggedness.
      Their lenses cost more than the camera bodies, which aren’t that much more than their premium Canon or Nikon competitors.
      Any other cameras based on this Sony sensor sport IP54 weather proof rating?

Comment

What kind of weather proof rating does the 1DX mark II have?

Because there about a billion people using those cameras all over earth. (Point being at some point there's good enough...even if it's less than whatever IP54 is.)

Are you getting the camera?

Comment

Originally posted by Razz16mm View Post
          Or a very successful professional photographer who likes their color science, optics, and bullet proof ruggedness.
          Their lenses cost more than the camera bodies, which aren’t that much more than their premium Canon or Nikon competitors.
          Any other cameras based on this Sony sensor sport IP54 weather proof rating?
          I would myself count as a quite successful professional photographer and within my association I know some very high professional photographers on an international level in person. Leica is one of the association's sponsors and some colleagues do use the camera indeed. From my personal observation the main reason for a Leica it's the image of the brand and the differentiation to other photographers. Why do people wear a Rolex? Not because it's waterproof until 300ft. I have nothing against a Leica nor a Rolex if you can afford both. You show how successful you are with both. Fine. Have fun.

Comment

My dental office has a line out the door.

Comment

From the sample video there are brief shots that hint it may be a global shutter sensor, or at least an extremely fast rolling shutter with almost no distortion.
              I'm circling back a few months...and I would like to share a thought.

When I read the above, I wrote it down.

Even though I was skeptical of your observation because I thought you were just excited and I didn't think much of the YouTube videos, I noted it because you said the following about Z CAM which I later noticed after purchasing one.

Motion blur on the Zcam 4k just looks bizarre, like it blurs in opposite directions along vertical edges. Towards the direction of motion and away from it. Readout pattern must be pretty strange.
              I could never explain why, but the motion from the S6 ended up just never seeming right to me (your comment was about the 4K model).

___

So after your assumption about the Leica, I thought maybe you're confident in what you're seeing, maybe you have some experience processing motion (definitely more than I do).

I haven't watched enough S1H footage to know any better about that camera's performance, but with the SL2-S...maybe the IBIS fighting the RS is creating a mental illusion for me, or maybe it's because I haven't used a camera in many months, but I love the motion of the Leica.

I am flipping back-and-forth through test footage from the Canons and Sonys (all with very acceptable 16-20ms) and it's almost like everything is faster (not talking about shutter speed differences).

And with the Leica it's slower, more dreamy.

I know many of us are split on the infamous concept of motion cadence, but am I seeing things, for better or for worse?

[It's also important to mention that I DO NOT feel the same way about the GS Komodo, but I do about other REDs and other non-GS cameras, and I loved the motion of the global shutter BMPC.]

Last edited by NorBro; 04-08-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Looks gorgeous. I subscribed.

Doesn't look global to me. I wonder if superior processing/clarity gives it a distinct look. Sorta how I feel about BM footage. Especially with their slow mo hair blowing shots where you see every strand.

I wonder if the s6 was reading alternate lines in opposite directions? Seems odd
                www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

haha, thank you. I always wondered who was the other sub when I made the channel last summer for R5 footage.

We would think we'd have more answers to all these questions as the years continue to go by, but IDK if I really know anything.

Comment

Not that I know what the heck I am talking about but I surmise that a mere bump in buffer memory allows a totally different video processing algorithms. And the same goes for the type/size/quality of the FPLA and Asics too.

I went and looked at some camera tear downs. The hardware specs are nowhere to be mentioned.

Comment

I see your point Norbro. There is a less immediate feel to the cadence compared to many other digital cameras. Why I have no idea but it is more appropriate for story telling uses for sure.

Comment

To me, it's almost like it's working slower like some BMs.

I remember when seeing 24p in a DVX100B for those first few months there was like this thing that happened in my brain when I switched over to the framerate from 60i.

I saw the change, it looked good.

___

A few days ago, I was thinking about the true 24 DCI framerate and how the SL2-S shoots CinemaDNG (although not in video), and then I was thinking about how sometimes cheap, old cameras way back would have very weird framerates if you checked them in QuickTime, something like 23.22, or 31.05 (supposed to be 24p and 30p).

I don't remember the exact numbers but it basically had me pondering about what kind of clocks, if you will, these machines we use are running on, and how they match up to what they actually see and process.

Yeah, the files say 24p, but maybe that's just the coding, lol.

Maybe too abstract and unnecessary...but I have the time.

Comment

I think the Alexa series have this quality as well which is why they are so popular. On the flip side, I very often get an immediate feel from Sony images even though the frame rate is 24p. This is subtle, between the lines stuff but goes straight to the core of enjoying an image or not so much. Kind of like certain musicians just making you happy when you hear them compared to others that are technically proficient but do not affect you in that way.

Comment

Firmware V2.0 has been released which adds:

- internal H.265 4K 60p 10-bit mode
                            - new Long-GOP 10-bit codec options
                            - improved autofocus, eye/face/head/body recognition
                            - monitoring features such as waveform

There a few other things added if you check out the link below:

https://www.cined.com/leica-sl2-s-fi...form-and-more/
                            http://instagram.com/teddy_dem/
                            http://vimeo.com/luciddreamsfilms

Comment

There's also a new Leica 28-70mm F2.8 lens about to come out.

Comment

Working...
                              X